Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
As an out-of-towner I would much rather see the Sixers in the CC area than the S Philly area. More options for staying overnight and more to do before and after the game. Seems like there is always opposition to this kind of thing and then once it's done everyone likes it.

I like the idea of Center City, but I don't want to lose Chinatown. That's the problem here. I'd rather keep that than the Sixers' arena by a mile.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
FJH and Mayor Parker. This is dumb. Complete trash move to move it out of stadium complex. Josh Harris simply wants an arena to make the team more valuable when he sells it.

Reactions: Embiid

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Not surprising. The lack of political creativity in this city is saddening.
5 years to build the stadium and another 25 to actually untangle the logistical nightmare of public transit and parking and development in that area to maximize it.
And that money will come out of taxpayer's pockets while Harris counts his bread.

All to watch Maxey renact the Dame in Portland timeline into the 2030s.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Not surprising. The lack of political creativity in this city is saddening.
5 years to build the stadium and another 25 to actually untangle the logistical nightmare of public transit and parking and development in that area to maximize it.
And that money will come out of taxpayer's pockets while Harris counts his bread.

All to watch Maxey renact the Dame in Portland timeline into the 2030s.
Well if they don't trade it, they do have that Clippers pick in 2028 from the Harden trade that could net a high lottery pick....

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Damn but that guy kept posting all of that Camden stuff. I thought for sure it was going to be the Camden Sixers before we knew it. How are they not in Camden yet?!

I like the idea of Center City, but I don't want to lose Chinatown. That's the problem here. I'd rather keep that than the Sixers' arena by a mile.
Is it the same proposed spot as before? The one that is going to whitewash Chinatown?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I forgot the obligatory no public money for stadiums ever. f*** off.
Just to clarify, the Harris group wants to pay for the entirety of the stadium...but that's just the stadium. Anyone that's been to Market East knows it sits on top of the most congested public trans hub in the state. A lot of it is unused and dilapidated though it's better now than it was maybe 10 years ago. One of the big selling points for the stadium is supposed to be that it will help boost Septa ridership but Septa is a corrupt, diseased giant held together by rubber bands and paperclips as is. The leadership is not great and they get no help from Harrisburg which always cuts its budget. To make this stadium viable they have to remake the entirety of Market East and that will take years. Harris won't foot the difference I'm willing to bet. And it's the actual city dwellers that will feel that pressure not the suburbanites who will revert back to cars VERY quickly once they have to get a whiff of those pissstained tunnels under Market.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Damn but that guy kept posting all of that Camden stuff. I thought for sure it was going to be the Camden Sixers before we knew it. How are they not in Camden yet?!

Is it the same proposed spot as before? The one that is going to whitewash Chinatown?
Yes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's a real f***ing shame. I'm all for a new stadium in center City but not there. That's shitty
There’s not really another place to be in Center City. Chinatown isn’t even really an acceptable place. Everyone down there went through this 25 years ago when the Phillies wanted to put a stadium there. A Center City arena or stadium sounds nice but isn’t really practical, the city planning really didn’t have room. Temple wants their own stadium but can’t do it.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

That's how you sell angry Philadelphians on the idea of a Center City stadium..."You can either eat this stale head of lettuce, or you can eat your own foot"

::gives head of lettuce::

"Well this sucks but at least it isn't my own foot"

Meanwhile, there's a Big Mac in the microwave they ignore as an option for some reason aka STAYING IN THE F***ING SPORTS COMPLEX.

Reactions: Rebels57

nacc BLOCC

Apr 16, 2019
Just to clarify, the Harris group wants to pay for the entirety of the stadium...but that's just the stadium. Anyone that's been to Market East knows it sits on top of the most congested public trans hub in the state. A lot of it is unused and dilapidated though it's better now than it was maybe 10 years ago. One of the big selling points for the stadium is supposed to be that it will help boost Septa ridership but Septa is a corrupt, diseased giant held together by rubber bands and paperclips as is. The leadership is not great and they get no help from Harrisburg which always cuts its budget. To make this stadium viable they have to remake the entirety of Market East and that will take years. Harris won't foot the difference I'm willing to bet. And it's the actual city dwellers that will feel that pressure not the suburbanites who will revert back to cars VERY quickly once they have to get a whiff of those pissstained tunnels under Market.

whenever i fly back in to philly, and throw open those airport doors to the train platform, i love love loooove that first whiff of musty piss-trash air. they don’t got air like that in dallas.

it’s f***ed that real actual culture is gonna get ravaged when the “fashion district” et al is right there, but hey it’s chinatown.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
josh-harris-76ers-scaled-1470914229.jpg

Thank you Philadelphia!
Now go wash my underwear at a Chinatown laundromat...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As an out-of-towner I would much rather see the Sixers in the CC area than the S Philly area. More options for staying overnight and more to do before and after the game. Seems like there is always opposition to this kind of thing and then once it's done everyone likes it.
Depends how they do it.
If it cleans up the area, it's safe to walk, and most of Chinatown is intact (and can benefit from foot traffic) it's a win-win.

But who trusts any Philadelphia government to pull it off?

Not that I care, I'm out of here in a year or two for Western Michigan (wife's family).

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I f***ing despise using public transportation.
How very American of you

Regional rail is ok..problem is Septa is f***ing awful
What if I told you septa is actually not awful and is in fact very great and makes Philly one of the leading transportation cities in North America. Sure they could do some updating but the infrastructure is there and way more effective than most cities

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad