Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Embiid

This show is rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
One really happy and huge addition by subtraction result of the PG signing is the final nail in the coffin of one Tobias Harris.

Good effin riddence to him...Harden, Doc and Ben Simmons.

Mission Accomplished!

Reactions: FatTugboatFlahr

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Once upon a time, he really was a good player. Never great. But good. Not anymore either.

But now we're free and none of that matters.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Once upon a time, he really was a good player. Never great. But good. Not anymore either.

But now we're free and none of that matters.

I'm still incredibly depressed over the proportion of Joel's career wasted by chasing good players and paying them as if they were great, but we can hope that this one last mix will finally be the right one. I cannot be more thankful that Tobias is literally anywhere else.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm still incredibly depressed over the proportion of Joel's career wasted by chasing good players and paying them as if they were great, but we can hope that this one last mix will finally be the right one. I cannot be more thankful that Tobias is literally anywhere else.

I think it was Mike Levin who pointed out that this will be the first time Embiid plays without either Okafor or Tobias. That almost killed me.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I was a Tobias supporter up until this past season... just based off of how, while not living up to his contract, he was still durable enough and still came closer to living up to a max deal than dumb or dumber (Harden and Simmons) did. But enough was enough. I honestly still can't believe he played out all 5 years of that deal with the sixers. Detroit is probably the right place for him anyway.

Embiid

This show is rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Detroit always wanted Harris...they wanted to trade with the Sixers at the trade deadline.

Wish they had jettisoned him long before that offer...

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
reed has to be gone no?
I would think so. I try to actively avoid exposure to confusing discussions of the NBA salary cap and such but apparently they could trade him and take back almost twice his salary. He makes a little under $8M so they could take back around $15M in a trade. That would put them at the first apron though, which causes problems down the road. But I think one way or another his salary will be used in a trade. The writing was probably on the wall for B-Ball Paul when they drafted Bona.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Look obviously i hope i'm wrong on this one, i just have zero faith that come playoff time, both Embiid and PG will be healthy and playing their best which is all that should matter considering that their depth, on paper, sucks.

As of now, i'm convinced that the correct move was to trade for Lauri, extend him, and then sign KCP, Caleb Martin and Naji Marshall. I do like the Drummond and Oubre signings though. Maybe the guy in his mid 30s who has never won a ring and shrinks in the second round of the playoffs will indeed get it done with the center in his 30s who also has never won a ring and shrinks in the second round of the playoffs. Maybe.
Embiid just dropped 50 points in the second round on the Knicks on 1 leg and half a face

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad