Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If you wait around for the perfect fit you will piss away one of the all time greats’ career (if you haven’t already).

In the NBA you need a star player to become available, want to play for you, and have the cap space/flexibility to accommodate them. And preferably you’d like them to compliment the skill sets of your star(s) on the court. All of those windows have to align. Philly is not a destination city. They were almost never going to get the healthy star in his 20s.

And as Jojo pointed out they didn’t have to move their trade assets to get this player. That’s big for completing the roster in the future.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
If he can round this team out (big if!), he’s got a lot of apologies coming, myself included. He got off of that Simmons contract for a star and without giving up any distant unprotected 1sts. Then he got off of Harden when he needed to and got picks that went up in trade value today. All of that without losing Embiid’s confidence. Lord knows I have my objections to the guy, but he’s navigated some incredibly difficult waters and come through.
Yeah, there were points where he frustrated me, but I just keep reminding myself he’s way smarter than me and has a history of building good teams.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
As we debate the contending Sixers signing a 34 year old player, I can't help but wonder if our "rebuilding" Flyers sign anyone younger than that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The NBA cap is so confusing vs the NHL one. In the easiest way, tell me why I am reading that you guys are likely to trade McCain to get under cap.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
People who don't know shit about hockey also don’t know shit about basketball. Shocking.

Man, I hate being like that. Be worried about the injuries with two of the stars, sure. That's a big deal. Worry if it's enough. That makes total l sense. They signed a true star for nothing but dollars when they would have been capped out next year anyway. If you're angry about this contract, you're beyond help.

There are people who thought that Edmonton deal was good value and hate this. Speechless. This is the biggest day for the franchise since winning the lottery.
Because it was good value and this is basically just giving Harden the max contract he wanted in the first place.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
this is basically just giving Harden the max contract he wanted in the first place.

Except that he's a better player at this point, a year younger, a better fit with their other 2 stars, can guard big Wings, doesn't need to be able to penetrate the lane to be effective, takes catch and shoot 3s, and is one of the best tall jump shooters in the entire league. Oh and they got the picks from moving Harden that are more valuable today than they were yesterday.

Other than that, spot on.

They don't have to trade McCain right? Only if something pops up they would move him to make more room?

Correct.

Embiid

This show is rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
I'm just kind of whatever with this team. I will just keep my expectations tempered. There were not many options to get better. Barring the obvious concern of injuries to both Embiid and PG, they got better on paper. We'll see how it plays out....

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Except that he's a better player at this point, a year younger, a better fit with their other 2 stars, can guard big Wings, doesn't need to be able to penetrate the lane to be effective, takes catch and shoot 3s, and is one of the best tall jump shooters in the entire league. Oh and they got the picks from moving Harden that are more valuable today than they were yesterday.

Other than that, spot on.

Correct.
Sweet. I've successfully reached one answer to the five part problem that is the NBA salary cap.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Look obviously i hope i'm wrong on this one, i just have zero faith that come playoff time, both Embiid and PG will be healthy and playing their best which is all that should matter considering that their depth, on paper, sucks.

As of now, i'm convinced that the correct move was to trade for Lauri, extend him, and then sign KCP, Caleb Martin and Naji Marshall. I do like the Drummond and Oubre signings though. Maybe the guy in his mid 30s who has never won a ring and shrinks in the second round of the playoffs will indeed get it done with the center in his 30s who also has never won a ring and shrinks in the second round of the playoffs. Maybe.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Absolutely love that for OKC. And the Sixers.

As of now, i'm convinced that the correct move was to trade for Lauri, extend him, and then sign KCP, Caleb Martin and Naji Marshall. I do like the Drummond and Oubre signings though. Maybe the guy in his mid 30s who has never won a ring and shrinks in the second round of the playoffs will indeed get it done with the center in his 30s who also has never won a ring and shrinks in the second round of the playoffs. Maybe.

Please explain how they manage to outbid San Antonio or OKC for Markkanen in this plan. Hell, how do they outbid the Warriors?

As for the rest of it, there are going to be problems with everything. But you’re throwing a fit and preferring giving up every single tradeable asset they have for a 27 year old who has never played in a single playoff game because of lack of playoff success in the other options. Not one game.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad