Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I mean sabermetrics notwithstanding Kelly Oubre and Batum came in and exceeded expectations (to varying magnitudes) when healthy under Nurse and next to Embiid and Maxey. It isn't out of this world to think a guy like Ingram can't take a step forward to some degree. It would definitely be better than shoving 45 mil or whatever to all these older targets

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
These are the guys that get overpaid because max contracts exist and the true stars are underpaid.
NBA would be better with no max contract limits and then actually letting the market dictate things. You wouldn't see super teams with guys in their 7th/10th seasons being able to fit together on one teams cap.

Probably allow some kind of exception for a team to keep maybe 1 guy they drafted and exceed the cap with, but not allow it to come via trading for 'bird rights' or stuff.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I am so close to switching tracks and going all in on the New Process. The Bridges trade and Bam deal were bad enough, but that much cash for OP Anunoby? f*** me running, let’s just trade for some really shitty teams’ picks and try to luck into a Wemby.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam, and Fred VanVleet have all received new contracts exceeding $42 million annually since leaving the Toronto Raptors."

Add in Barnes and Poeltl....how could Nurse not make this team competitive? Lol

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Anyone else on the Nets worth looking at with them in clear sell mode? Schroder? Probably not?

Dorian Finney-Smith, but it’s also tricky to make work because he’s got a Player Option for ‘25-26 at ~15MM.
Nic Claxton (but not here obviously)
Schroder is one of those situations where he would be fine, but they can’t pay that guy ~15 MM.

Reactions: DancingPanther

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That Advija deal is interesting because I wonder if Brogdon has positive value. Getting off of that salary helps Portland a good bit.

That's the one guy I felt sure Morey would offer 16 for no matter what else happened.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I wonder I'd the nba bubble could burst at some point with these contracts (which I admittedly do not understand)...really not sure which is worst..nba,nfl or mlb

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I wonder I'd the nba bubble could burst at some point with these contracts (which I admittedly do not understand)...really not sure which is worst..nba,nfl or mlb
NBA just signed a new massive broadcasting deal (almost 3x more than the last one) that is actually going to see the cap locked in and going up 10% every year (which is the max allowed by the current CBA) even though the actual money coming in via that broadcasting deal would be higher.

Cap projects to be
2024: $141
2025: $155.1
2026: $170.6
2027: $187.6
2028: $206.4
2029: $227.1
2030: $249.7

The max contract is 35% of the cap for a player 10 years in the league. This summer that starting salary would be right around $50m. By the 2030 season that starting salary would be $87.3m

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

The best way I can explain it is that the NBA is closer to the NFL in revenue than either MLB or the NHL are to the NBA. They’re that clear of a #2 in the major NA leagues. No US league globalized itself better than the NBA. The ‘92 Dream Team changed everything. Plus the sport is incredibly cheap to play.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
The best thing about the NBA draft compared to the NHL draft is that you don't get teams that go up and each pick kiss the ass of the champion and congratulate them while you have 20 people from the front office/ownership and their kids climb up onto the stage to make the selection.

Reactions: Embiid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad