Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
images
Settle down

• Haha
Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I like McCain more than I did two weeks ago, so that feels like a successful SL. Distance shooters often take some time to adjust to the NBA. 89% FT shooters tend to get there pretty quickly. His decisions are solid. You just want him to be able to give you a tiny bit off the dribble. That feels possible.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Honestly I draw absolutely nothing from Summer league. John Salmons MVP year, Shavlik Randolph looking like Hakeem Olajuwon. Paul Reed was putting up Patrick Ewing numbers a few years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Shots going in or not and how a guy is processing what he’s seeing are entirely different conversations to me. You don’t change meaningful opinions. It’s an opportunity to cross off potential NBA attributes. That’s why I said possible. Not failing is just a nice little signpost.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Sounds like they think he's going to be a budget Paul Reed, which going by how people are describing him, does make a ton of sense

Oh, he looks like a gem. But I honestly don't know what to expect in his rookie season. Being a rookie (big) is hard; Reed took time too. Defense especially takes time. Sixers have played a ton of zone -- how does Bona function this year in a tighter, switch heavy scheme against NBA talent? It's probably unfair to expect immediate impact. But all the tools are there.

He will hopefully fill that Reed role eventually, with somehow even more athleticism and a more functional shot long-term and less wild card stuff on offense. His screen/roll game already looks solid, even if stretch 5 stuff is pure theory at this stage. I assume he'll get some G League time, maybe he surprises as the year goes on. We'll see. He seems a quick learner; watching him in Vegas from those early Utah games, his rim protection already looks less out of control.

Last edited:
Reactions: DancingPanther

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013
May have been discussed years ago, but I often wonder what would have happened if Hinkie knew the magnitude of backlash his approach would get, if he could/would/should have gone about it a tad more covertly to achieve similar outcomes without the attention. During those tanking seasons, if he had feigned trying to compete by signing a few over the hill vets on short deals that were sure to suck, probably would have only pushed the team to a handful more wins, only slightly decreased the overall odds with the lottery balls, but would have missed the same level of scrutiny. I don’t know if this is what OKC has done, or if OKC doesn’t get the same attention because it’s OKC (+ maybe the drafting has also been better there) but can’t help but think about the what-ifs (this to me is more interesting what-if than the misses on Okafor and Fultz

Schwarbomb

Bob Murray Approved Poster
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
May have been discussed years ago, but I often wonder what would have happened if Hinkie knew the magnitude of backlash his approach would get, if he could/would/should have gone about it a tad more covertly to achieve similar outcomes without the attention. During those tanking seasons, if he had feigned trying to compete by signing a few over the hill vets on short deals that were sure to suck, probably would have only pushed the team to a handful more wins, only slightly decreased the overall odds with the lottery balls, but would have missed the same level of scrutiny. I don’t know if this is what OKC has done, or if OKC doesn’t get the same attention because it’s OKC (+ maybe the drafting has also been better there) but can’t help but think about the what-ifs (this to me is more interesting what-if than the misses on Okafor and Fultz
OKC is a small market so you're right they're not going to be in the spotlight nearly as much as a major market like Philly. But yes I agree Hinkie could have done a few simple things to bring the heat down. Make it look like you're trying and make more than one public appearance per year to help control the narrative. He underestimated just how many important people he pissed off with such a blatant tank.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

Bodner has specifically said that Hinkie realizes he should have done more to control the media narrative. Whether or not that includes players, talking more often, or any other individual steps I can't tell you.

OKC gets a pass because they weren't the first and they didn't have the same lag time on the start of their centerpiece's career. Is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad