The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
So happy that Jansen lost. I can't stand him stemming from his comments about the NL East before the season started.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Roberts and Friedman can GTFO. Pulls Hill to put in another lefty (who then walks the guy!). Repeatedly using Madsen when he clearly didn't have it. Repeatedly trying to use Jansen in a two-inning role when he's shown he can't shoulder that load in the playoffs (he can't even be relied on to close a single inning stretch). Dodgers had two relievers who were actually effective, in Urias and Baez, and barely used them. The lineup shenanigans to follow the "fancy stats." The entire batting order having no plan at the plate but to "swing for the fences." I don't wonder why I can't watch this crap except for in the World Series.
Analytics works great in players personal decisions but fails when it changes the way the game is played. Things like pitch counting and the shift doesn’t work in practice especially a short series. The fact is Managers should go with their gut and experience in the playoffs. Pitch counts do not matter if there’s no tomorrow.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Dodgers had two relievers who were actually effective, in Urias

Urias missed basically the entire season coming back from a shoulder injury that pretty much no pitcher has ever come back and pitched effectively from. I'm sure they would've loved to use Urias more but it was never going to happen.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You guys do realize that pitchers lose their effectiveness the longer they go and the more times they go through a lineup, right?
Loss of effectiveness=/=utter catastrophe...unless it's Kershaw. I can understand Buehler in a 1-run game, but could have given Hill the next batter at least with a 4-run lead. Look, it's really easy to pick apart stuff in hindsight, I'm well aware. I played the game for a long time and just have no use for this type of decision-making. Part of why I can hardly watch the sport anymore.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If you are a manager and you are making decisions purely on analytics, well you need to be fired. Part of coaching is knowing when you have a guy that is hot, or doing better than the norm and riding him. It's the World Series, you have the off season to rest that arm.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The problem with analytics is they are based on a large pool of data and present the user with information on a more likely outcome given a certain situation. But people who rely exclusively on analytics can get bitten by the fact that analytics may do well to give you a 70/30 choice instead of 50/50, but that still means the thing you dont want to happen happens 3 out of 10 times.

That is why over a 162 game season if you stick with what analytics tells you to do you end up looking good but in a short series/single game you can end up looking like an idiot.

Reactions: Gnashville

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
You guys do realize that pitchers lose their effectiveness the longer they go and the more times they go through a lineup, right?
Why do pitchers pitch no hitters and perfect games?
Buehler and Hill were rolling and sticking with them would not have been a disaster. Sometimes mangers should manger the team and realize when someone is on.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Why do pitchers pitch no hitters and perfect games?
Buehler and Hill were rolling and sticking with them would not have been a disaster. Sometimes mangers should manger the team and realize when someone is on.

Why are pitchers pulled immediately after giving up their first hit in the later innings?

And there have been a lot of pitchers pulled with no hitters due to pitch counts in recent years.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Why are pitchers pulled immediately after giving up their first hit in the later innings?

And there have been a lot of pitchers pulled with no hitters due to pitch counts in recent years.

I know it's been done but it's still stupid. It's also the kind of thing that will contribute to the loss of popularity of the game.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Because I'm a Padres fan, I have very little recollection of what playoff baseball tends to be like, but I caught myself forgetting that once the playoffs start, managers are idiots. The first unnecessary pitching pull I saw I was like oh yeah I forgot they do this crap in the playoffs

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

It’s ruining the sport also. Great pitching performances are part of the sport, and are some of the most memorable games. Plus it’s a thinking man’s game and now it’s only for mathematicians. No hit and runs, stealing bases, sacrifice hits. Just walks, and Home runs. If I had won the recent lottery I was going to buy the Oakland A’s and move them to Nashville and fire the entire anaylitics department and put out an old school team.

Reactions: PredsV82

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It's not ruining the sport. Hit and runs are really hard to do. One missed sign or swinging strike turns a hit and run into an easy out. The break even point on a stolen base is 75%. If a player is at 80% on stolen bases, nobody would have a problem with that player stealing. Sacrifice bunts are giving away outs. There are very few situations where a sacrifice makes any sense.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's not ruining the sport. Hit and runs are really hard to do. One missed sign or swinging strike turns a hit and run into an easy out. The break even point on a stolen base is 75%. If a player is at 80% on stolen bases, nobody would have a problem with that player stealing. Sacrifice bunts are giving away outs. There are very few situations where a sacrifice makes any sense.
Yeah just flat gonna disagree with that. Sometimes playing good baseball is about manufacturing runs, and if you can't do that then I'm wondering why you are playing or coaching in the majors.

Reactions: Gnashville

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm with you on this. Small ball is so overlooked. It will make a huge comeback soon, watch.
Tbh it's one reason I stopped watching MLB. When I can bunt better than most major league players something has been lost. Homeruns and stuff are great, but a team that can move players around the bases and score runs with a good Sac fly/bunt is when the game gets fun to watch.

Reactions: PredsV82

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
If winning was just about outs, runs wouldn't be counted. Sadly good baseball went out the door a long time ago, just like good basketball is long gone as well.

It's about scoring as many runs as you can with the 27 outs you're given. Turns out that giving the other team free outs isn't a good idea. If you want to watch small ball, go watch college baseball. They love that garbage.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's about scoring as many runs as you can with the 27 outs you're given. Turns out that giving the other team free outs isn't a good idea. If you want to watch small ball, go watch college baseball. They love that garbage.
Please MLB isn't even baseball anymore, it's just stickball with guys getting paid millions. I wouldn't watch that shit if you paid me.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Please MLB isn't even baseball anymore, it's just stickball with guys getting paid millions. I wouldn't watch that **** if you paid me.

Nobody's asking you to watch it. Like I said, if you want to watch what you think baseball should be there are plenty of colleges in the Nashville area to see that garbage.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
What you call garbage is what baseball was for over a century. But hey those ratings are looking real good compared to the mid 80's. :thumbu:

Yeah, MLB sucks at marketing. Mike Trout, you know the best player in the game? How often do you see him in commercials? Hell, how often do you see him being promoted by MLB? The commissioner literally did an interview this summer blaming Trout for not being more popular.

Maybe I'm crazy but I'd rather see Mike Trout hit a 500 foot piss rocket than watch Eric Young Jr. lay down a gentle bunt to advance Andrelton Simmons to 2nd base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad