The Other Guys. (newest additions)

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Mitchell, DSP, Flynn

Or

Sekac, Malhotra, Bournival?

How is Petry doing, in your opinion?

Are we going to have a better sense of what they can bring to the table later in the playoffs or what we see is what we get with those guys?

Bonus : Do you think we are going to see Gonchar, Weaver ever don the jersey again?

Discuss

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Welll, all the forwards have disappointed me. DSP has played a generic grinding game, but not made any impact at all. He's a project. I really thought Flynn and Mitchell would bring more of a spark... they caught my eye a few times with the Sabres... but seem more like generic filler for us thus far.

I get the thinking behind each of those acquisitions, and there's plenty of room for the payoff to still arrive, however.

Petry has looked pretty good. I'd like him to become a long-term #3/4 guy for us. He hasn't necessarily done a lot yet, but he looks like he has good tools and I think he can start to do more over the longer haul if we could lock him up.

I liked what Gonchar was doing for us, but I guess now he only gets in as an injury replacement. Weaver is probably done. He gave us a good stretch run last year, but this one has been a writeoff.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm still pissed that management didn't do more for the team then just grab us Petry and some grinders. That said i'm willing to give it time as Petry has shown good things for the most part, Flynn and Mitchell are just cheap depth so I don't really care what they do plus Flynn is a RFA and could be a cheap contract next year if need be (depending on where the cap ends up and how close to it we end up if any moves are made before the start of next season).

That leaves DSP, they gave up a decent asset for him, the production hasn't been there at all but I did like the idea behind trying to get us some additional grit since the Habs are one of the lowest hitting teams in the NHL it may come in handy in the playoffs if we meet say boston.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
DSP is really a project like you said.
I think if Subban can make him train with him in the summer, everyone will be better off.

Flynn/Mitchell are depth moves.
It could be very possible to see the likes of Thomas in the playoffs.

Petry is by far our best acquisition.

Next year, I can see us keeping 8 D in the big club:

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Emelin-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

What makes it good with that depth is that either Emelin/Gilbert could be dealt to adress a need. If we can, for example, trade away Parenteau to, say, Buffalo for a 7th rounder, his cap space + the cap space of Emelin or Gilbert + the cap space created by the end of Gonchar and Allen's contracts create a nice cushion to sign or trade for a REAL top 6 Forward.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
Welll, all the forwards have disappointed me. DSP has played a generic grinding game, but not made any impact at all. He's a project. I really thought Flynn and Mitchell would bring more of a spark... they caught my eye a few times with the Sabres... but seem more like generic filler for us thus far.

I get the thinking behind each of those acquisitions, and there's plenty of room for the payoff to still arrive, however.

Petry has looked pretty good. I'd like him to become a long-term #3/4 guy for us. He hasn't necessarily done a lot yet, but he looks like he has good tools and I think he can start to do more over the longer haul if we could lock him up.

I liked what Gonchar was doing for us, but I guess now he only gets in as an injury replacement. Weaver is probably done. He gave us a good stretch run last year, but this one has been a writeoff.

I often wonder why MB decided to keep Weaver around all year when Drewiske could have done the same job for less $$$

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Mike Weaver played very well last year and earned himself a one-year extension.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I often wonder why MB decided to keep Weaver around all year when Drewiske could have done the same job for less $$$

perhaps it had something to do with Drewiske not playing in the NHL since his injury, perhaps he thought it was safer to go with Weaver in case injuries hit our blueline hard. In hindsight it was smart since Drewiske is out for the season.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
perhaps it had something to do with Drewiske not playing in the NHL since his injury, perhaps he thought it was safer to go with Weaver in case injuries hit our blueline hard. In hindsight it was smart since Drewiske is out for the season.

and lets be honest, Drewiskie has been horrible the few times he played for us. If not for Weaver, Bouillon would probably still be around.

Cant wait til next year though. I want Carr, Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron to push a winger down the depth chart.

Smith-Pelly is still young. I really hopes he picks it up.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
They are fine. Flynn and Mitchell are depth move . DSP is a project, he brings size and toughness which was a big need for Montreal, especially going into the playoff. I do miss Bournival speed, him and DLR could so some serious damage on the forecheck. Petry played well, hopefully we can keep him for a good run. The D looks great for the future

Subban - Markov
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Gilbert
Tinner - Pateryn

Looking good. Gilbert is gone in 2016, so that leaves a spot.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
DSP is really a project like you said.
I think if Subban can make him train with him in the summer, everyone will be better off.

Flynn/Mitchell are depth moves.
It could be very possible to see the likes of Thomas in the playoffs.

Petry is by far our best acquisition.

Next year, I can see us keeping 8 D in the big club:

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Emelin-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

What makes it good with that depth is that either Emelin/Gilbert could be dealt to adress a need. If we can, for example, trade away Parenteau to, say, Buffalo for a 7th rounder, his cap space + the cap space of Emelin or Gilbert + the cap space created by the end of Gonchar and Allen's contracts create a nice cushion to sign or trade for a REAL top 6 Forward.

why does this keep coming up? How is it that Subban will automatically train this guy and why does it have to be subban. Gallagher trains with Lucic which makes no sense at all, but it is who he trains with.

Brockoli

Jun 24, 2004
why does this keep coming up? How is it that Subban will automatically train this guy and why does it have to be subban. Gallagher trains with Lucic which makes no sense at all, but it is who he trains with.

Actually it makes complete sense. Gallaghers father is a trainer for the Vancouver Giants and trained both Gallagher and Lucic, presumably there training together goes back to that. Also from what I've read (and seen in Gallagher and Lucic), maybe DSP should train with Gally in the off season!

brockoli

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I'm not ready to make a judgment on Mitchell or Flynn yet. I know both are decent players but haven't had a lot of time and playing on the 4th line at times isn't going to help them either.

As for DSP, he has done nothing but I'm not giving up on a large body 22 yr old yet. Maybe he can get more committed and play hard in the playoffs like he did last year.

Petry looks good.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
New forwards - all grinders with little to zero offensive abilities. Of the 3 at least Mitchell and Flynn are working their ***** off. Petry does well at times but is also prone to defensive gaffs under pressure. Of course the rookie defencemen would have been benched by now if they did the same things.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Mike Weaver played very well last year and earned himself a one-year extension.
Agreed. Things went off the rails this year, he never got into a groove, had the injury, and the rest of the team was too deep and healthy for him to get his foot back in the door. But he really did make a contribution down the stretch and in the playoffs last year, and I think it was a good idea to re-sign him. We never knew we'd have Beaulieu and Pateryn make the team, nor pick up Gonchar and Petry.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Flynn & Mitchell are nothing more than 4th liners. There's nothing else there, and I wouldn't hesitate to excise them both in the off-season in favor of our prospects.

DSP... Looking increasingly like MB really struck out. Out of shape, no hockey sense, seems to bring nothing beyond a rare big hit.

Petry is good, but is also as good as gone.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l

Gally trains with Lucic ? That must be priceless to watch :D

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
They're both from Toronto/live in TO in the offseason, DSP is good friends with Malcolm and Subban always comes to camp in top-shape, so the Habs will probably suggest that as an option to DSP. Plus Subban's trainer is involved in training other NHLers like Joel Ward.

Pretty feasible sounding situation to me.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal

Because Subban is one of the leaders of the CH, they come from the same town and know each other, and will go back to TO in the summer.
Ah and also did you see Subban's workouts? The man is a monster, he'll light a fire under DSP for sure.

Also I guess people with a quick glance will stupidly want to associate the two because of, you know, skin color.

EDIT: Saundies with the same explanation just before :D

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

Not so subtly because they're both black and from Toronto is my guess. Seems to be the elephant in the room.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
and lets be honest, Drewiskie has been horrible the few times he played for us. If not for Weaver, Bouillon would probably still be around.

Cant wait til next year though. I want Carr, Hudon, Scherbak, McCarron to push a winger down the depth chart.

Smith-Pelly is still young. I really hopes he picks it up.

Should be very interesting to see what young players can push themselves onto the roster throughout next year.

I'd keep Bourni, Sekac and Mitchell over Manny, DSP and Flynn.

I have never been a big Bournival fan so I would only want him back if we face a very quick team as his speed is about all I like from him. Sekac with his struggles to produce over his final 2 months here had me concerned about how he would produce in the playoffs so I wasn't too concerned about losing him. Mitchell and Flynn I still don't know what to make of them yet. I actually liked the Prust Manny Moe Weise line as I thought they had a couple good games together but we'll see who we get in the playoffs as Manny Moe helps us win face-offs and is a decent PKer but Mitchell has more playoff experience and brings more offense. Flynn put up some decent numbers this year but has zero NHL playoff experience of course.

Gally trains with Lucic ? That must be priceless to watch :D

lucic pushed for boston to draft Gallagher, good thing they didn't listen ;)

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Petry: B+ if he starts producing a bit more offensively it'll go up to an A
Mitchel & Flynn: D I see no real distinction between either. Neither are bad, neither are great either. Depth is a good thing to have either way.
DSP: D I still have faith in the guy and think he played a good grinding game, but he definitely needs to produce out there or else he's not going to be in the line up much longer.

I wouldn't have minded if we took on a guy like Stewart or retained Semin as even if it didn't work out it would be better than not adding to the top 6. At the same time, the prices weren't likely worth paying especially after we spent a 2nd+ on Petry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad