The Oilers are an old team

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
It sucks but it was an offer sheet and I'm not sure I wanted him for over 4.5 million. However, yes, I wish he were with the club right now.

Just shitty cap management. Losing a top 4 D for a second round pick is amateur hour.

With how is performing so far, 4.5 mil is a good deal. The oilers have so much skill up front but won’t win anything with that horrendous D core.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Losing a top 4 D for a second round pick is amateur hour.
1729044206344.png

He was definitely not even close to a Top 4 D for us. 13 points in over 80 games. He was more of a tweener between AHL and NHL. No way did I want to see him get 4.5 million per season after those 3 seasons.

Now that could be shitty development, management or any other OIler mistake.

He definitely looks good after 4 games (4 points now). I hope he shoots the lights out and reaches his first round potential. Curious if he will be worth the 4.5 after 82 games.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Not a great start again tonight.

They look like they have no energy, it's really odd.
Cup hangovers happen to the runner up as well. It’s not at all odd that a team that went deep into the summer has trouble starting up. The panthers have surprised me a bit with being pretty good out of the gate. Oilers core is probably still a bit beat up and they have some new faces up front. They also lost two sets of their youngest legs.

Reactions: mrJT

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
View attachment 917171

He was definitely not even close to a Top 4 D for us. 13 points in over 80 games. He was more of a tweener between AHL and NHL. No way did I want to see him get 4.5 million per season after those 3 seasons.

He definitely looks good after 4 games (4 points now). I hope he shoots the lights out and reaches his first round potential. Curious if he will be worth the 4.5 after 82 games.
If Kulak, Stecher, Emberson are in the lineup, he’d would be playing ahead of any one of those guys. So yes, he would be top 4d on this roster.

It was shitty asset management losing two first rounds guys for a second and a third. No other way to spin it.

Losing Bromberg is going to sting for a long time.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Cup hangovers happen to the runner up as well. It’s not at all odd that a team that went deep into the summer has trouble starting up. The panthers have surprised me a bit with being pretty good out of the gate. Oilers core is probably still a bit beat up and they have some new faces up front. They also lost two sets of their youngest legs.

Panthers lost their two best players too

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
What they got with FA signings, they lost in two solid players. They need to wake up fast , they make have made the finals but it wasn't without extreme difficulty.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Panthers lost their two best players too
I’m not talking about the Panthers. Talking about the Oilers here. Talking historically about teams who make it to the finals, the point isn’t defeated by the Panthers doing well. If the Panthers sucked out of the gate everyone would be excusing them for it, but not the Oilers. Biases are interesting to watch.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If Kulak, Stecher, Emberson are in the lineup, he’d would be playing ahead of any one of those guys. So yes, he would be top 4d on this roster.

It was shitty asset management losing two first rounds guys for a second and a third. No other way to spin it.

Losing Bromberg is going to sting for a long time.
it sucked to lose Broberg and Holloway the way they did but you're overblowing this asset management thing you're so set on lol

contending teams 'lose' assets every year aka a contender trades a 1st + prospects at the TDL and loses in the first 2 rounds. Heck, Florida burnt an insane amount of assets (two 1sts + Owen Tippett +) for their 2022 playoff run to lose in the 2nd round but then proceeded to make the next 2 finals

The Oilers 'regained' assets through free agency by signing Arvidsson and Skinner for good/fair contracts and retained Henrique on a good deal as well

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
View attachment 917171

An AHL/NHL tweener IS a top 4 on an Oilers team that has only Ekholm as a legit NHLer.

nerevarine

Nov 14, 2019
I think what we are seeing is a bit of a slow start from what is almost certainly to be the 2024/2025 stanley cup winners

Huge heart, grit and determination shown in tonights win

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
After making the Flyers his bitch, I guess.

You must be angry that Michkov overshadowed McDavid in his own building tonight, it was a thing of beauty to watch in-person and Bedard doing the same thing the other night...McD has trouble showing up against two teams who are in the early stages of their rebuild and the bottom of the league.

Last edited:

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
You must be angry that Michkov overshadowed McDavid in his own building tonight, it was a thing of beauty to watch in-person and Bedard doing the same thing the other night...McD has trouble showing up against two teams who are in the early stages of their rebuild and the bottom of the league.

Yes, Michkov totally “overshadowed” the guy who set up the tying and winning goals. :rolleyes:Thanks for paying to watch him beat your team, we appreciate your patronage.

• Haha
Reactions: UpHere

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
it sucked to lose Broberg and Holloway the way they did but you're overblowing this asset management thing you're so set on lol

contending teams 'lose' assets every year aka a contender trades a 1st + prospects at the TDL and loses in the first 2 rounds. Heck, Florida burnt an insane amount of assets (two 1sts + Owen Tippett +) for their 2022 playoff run to lose in the 2nd round but then proceeded to make the next 2 finals

The Oilers 'regained' assets through free agency by signing Arvidsson and Skinner for good/fair contracts and retained Henrique on a good deal as well
They lost two young guys for a second and a third. There is no other way to spin this other than horrible management of assets. In fact, incompetent shitty general management.

They didn’t think ahead and were caught off guard by the offer sheet. If someone suggested mid season a 2nd & 3rd for both those players I’m willing to bet oilers fans heads would have exploded.

Win now because the window is closing on an old team that has a horrible D squad, ho-hum goaltending, and a poor prospect pool.

Looking at that D, chances of winning the cup aren’t very good.

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Oilers are poorly constructed. Two superstars surrounded by some skill, a horrible D core, below average goaltending, and nothing in the prospect pool.

So poorly managed they are in cap hell.

Win now or in a few years back to the bottom
That’s what we are trying to do, and it happens to a lot of teams. Nobody can predict the future, we are focused on the now. But that’s the problem with the board here. People hate the Oilers so much, that even if we win a cup it will all be about the future and how we will suck for years to come. Nobody right now cares about what will happen in the next few years. Worry about that when the time comes.

If sucking in the future scared me, I would have stopped being a Colts and Raptors fan a long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad