The Oilers are an old team

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Wouldn't be concerned if I was an Oilers fan yet.

Matt Tkachuk made a great point after the Panthers lost to Vegas in the cup final. He said the training camp along with the start of the next season was one of the hardest things he's had to prepare for mentally. Mostly because he, like I assume a lot of other guys on that roster were that devastated by the outcome.

Now imagine this from Edmonton's perspective. Go down 3-0, throw everything you have at clawing the series back to a game 7, only to get completely suffocated in said game 7 and lose in even more heartbreaking fashion than getting swept.

Guys like McDavid and Drai truly do look like superheroes most of the time, but even the strongest of wills would have a tough time shaking that. Everything you do will be haunted by that moment.

...outside of Stuart Skinner that is. He kinda just sucks.
he does suck and they wanna put him on team canada if i was in charge he wouldnt be getting a sniff near that team he is an awful awful nhl goalie.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
he does suck and they wanna put him on team canada if i was in charge he wouldnt be getting a sniff near that team he is an awful awful nhl goalie.
Its a tragedy to see NHL teams that are legitimate cup contenders that spend their entire window with terrible NHL goaltending.

Ottawa did it with Lalime
Vancouver had Dan Clouthier
Edmonton now going back to the well for a third year with Skinner.

Hes not it folks. Hes just not that guy.

Reactions: PaulD and DieselPig

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Good thing they went out and prioritized signing players like Jeff Skinner over broberg. Or made a flashy trade with a current serviceable nhler for a former top 10 pick that hasn't lived up to expectations.

Hilarious people were ready to make a statue for Jeff Jacksons short work of being gm and now his moves are looking like massive blunders.
You're saying those people spoke too early and should have waited till the 3 game mark, like you did?

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
McDavid is leading the Oilers charity golf tournament at the moment:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241014-081743~2.png
    Screenshot_20241014-081743~2.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 1

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You're saying those people spoke too early and should have waited till the 3 game mark, like you did?
The Oilers made the same offer sheet assumption that all 31 other teams make too. That offer sheets aren’t a viable threat. Which is why what St. Louis did should change the sport. We should be seeing offer sheets signed every summer. Time to blow up the good ole boys club and use offer sheets as intended.

If Broberg (and/or Holloway) continues to play well, it’s a guarantee we’ll see offer sheets again very soon.

They’ll have served their exact purpose. Made the targeted team worse and acquired a younger talent for an affordable (below market) price. A true two birds with one stone outcome.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Well when the Oilers start a run and get near the top of the NHL feel free to tell me I'm wrong and that Jeff Jackson summer was amazing. I thought their summer was extremely overrated based on the reaction to fans and media, and 3 games in nothing has changed my mind, it has only further cemented my thinking.

Happy for Broberg though. He actually went to a team that wants him and think they can develop his game into a top 4 d man. Hes off to a great start.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Its a tragedy to see NHL teams that are legitimate cup contenders that spend their entire window with terrible NHL goaltending.

Ottawa did it with Lalime
Vancouver had Dan Clouthier
Edmonton now going back to the well for a third year with Skinner.

Hes not it folks. Hes just not that guy.
lalime was still levels above skinner come on now lmao

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
The Oilers like to challenge themselves by being in last place before they begin their playoff push. And they have Darnell Nurse, the worst handicap imagineable.

Reactions: BallardEra

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
And when McD signs his long term contract, it'll be "when does Bouchard pull the plug"....and when he signs, it'll be someone else. Face it, unlike you, players don't easily run from problems, they tend to face them and try to overcome them ! :dunno:

Or, and hear me out here, they take the biggest bag available while not uprooting their lives?

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I swear to God if the sport of basketball is mentioned again.

Like I was saying the oilers are an old and bad team.
you should publish this state. Hyman and Skinner at age 32. Means their hockey skills suddenly disappear lmaO. Such a stupid comment. People say anything when a team is slow out of the gate. When the oilers pick it up and win 7 or 8 in a row, guys like you will go completely quiet. I’m not disagreeing that our team has vets and might be one of the older teams in the leagues, but you’re kidding yourself if you think guys like McD, Drai, Skinner and Hyman won’t pick it up. And once they do, the entire team starts to pick it up. Oilers have their issues and look like ass, no doubt about it, but you’re kidding yourself if you think they won’t pick it up

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No guys, it's not that the Oilers are slow & old, it's the refs! :laugh:
This one had to sting the most for them :D
Maybe so. But Skinner is in the conversation.

The Oilers have the weakest goaltending of all the Cup contenders. They are betting having McDavid counters that. Almost did last post season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
you should publish this state. Hyman and Skinner at age 32. Means their hockey skills suddenly disappear lmaO. Such a stupid comment. People say anything when a team is slow out of the gate. When the oilers pick it up and win 7 or 8 in a row, guys like you will go completely quiet. I’m not disagreeing that our team has vets and might be one of the older teams in the leagues, but you’re kidding yourself if you think guys like McD, Drai, Skinner and Hyman won’t pick it up. And once they do, the entire team starts to pick it up. Oilers have their issues and look like ass, no doubt about it, but you’re kidding yourself if you think they won’t pick it up
Oilers lost all their young guys, who played with energy and speed, over the summer. They are much different club than at the end of last season.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Holloway is a player who was willing to pay the price and go to the dirty areas to get open. He was coming into his own last playoffs. I still think he's a consistent 50pt player when he gets better.

Jeff Skinner comes across as someone who isn't willing to go to the dirty areas and just stays around the perimeter. If he's not scoring, he doesn't seem very useful. He doesn't hit and isn't good defensively.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Broberg, Fogelle, Holloway, McLeod. That’s a lot of speed lost. Not so much about speed offensively, but more so defensively. Broberg has speed to defend the rush. The three forwards lost had speed to apply back pressure to help their D to protect against the rush. Four important players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad