The official University of Michigan thread

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
One thing you're forgetting or overlooking is that Michigan also lost Mel Pearson to Michigan Tech. Pearson was and continues to be widely regarded as one of the top recruiters in college hockey. Prior to leaving Ann Arbor after the 2010-11 season, Pearson was responsible for bringing in many of the top players that have donned the maize and blue over the years - including Marty Turco (since we are talking goalies here).

Yup, it's too early to know how much of an impact that departure will have but I know what a difference it made when Grant Standbrook left Wisconsin back in the day and went to Maine. Maine became a powerhouse and the Badgers...not as much as usual.

It is a little premature for people to be calling for Red's head given the prolonged success he has had over the years. Who could step in and do better anyway? I'm sure it is hard for Michigan fans to wrap their minds around the phenomina of losing. For sure, that's something they're not used to.;) Badger fans have gone through this, we can talk you through.

skatesharpener

May 19, 2011
Well, Michigan gets blown out both games by ND to wind down the season. Scouting needs to improve without question. If these are the best players that Red can recruit he has a very big problem on his hands. Something is wrong with this organization-what with the resources it has-that it could be another tough year next year. Too many pampered recruits. Need to do a better job on their homework before signing players. Especially goalies.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Well, Michigan gets blown out both games by ND to wind down the season. Scouting needs to improve without question. If these are the best players that Red can recruit he has a very big problem on his hands. Something is wrong with this organization-what with the resources it has-that it could be another tough year next year. Too many pampered recruits. Need to do a better job on their homework before signing players. Especially goalies.

Michigan did just fine doing their homework on goalies. The problem is Jack Campbell and John Gibson both opted for the OHL, the Gibson one hurting more as his came during the summer before he was to arrive in Ann Arbor. As we've seen over the years, recruiting in hockey starts earlier and earlier. By the time Gibson left, there was no chance to sign a suitable replacement before the season started, and by today's standards you're already behind the eight ball for the following year, too, with many top prospects having already committed elsewhere. Hence, Michigan ended up signing Jared Rutledge, who by all means didn't do bad at the NTDP (his stats were right there with Collin Olson), but for whatever reason he didn't make a smooth transition to college hockey. Steve Racine, an older goalie, was signed to play the backup role, so he's kind of what we expected out of him.

As for the rest of the team, especially the forwards, yeah, the high end talent has been lacking for several years. Michael Spath over at TheWolverine.com, who does a great job covering the team, mentioned on their forum a month or so ago that the recruiting mentality changed a few years ago and they started targeting kids who I guess you could say were good players, but not elite players, thinking they could still win and keep kids for 3-4 years instead of having to deal with elite talent bolting after a year or two. Obviously, that strategy looks like it caught up to them this year and isn't working, so Spath said they're going back after the top end talent. If you look at Michigan's recruiting class for next season, you can see they're getting some of those high end recruits again like J.T. Compher from the NTDP (along with Tyler Motte and Evan Allen from the NTDP).

Of course, a goalie recruit is lacking (because they brought in two and didn't think at the start of the season they've have to find another one), but Red did admit a few days ago they are trying to add a goalie to this recruiting class. But as I previously laid out, that might be difficult. Late in the recruiting cycle and most, if not all, the top prospects have probably signed their Letter of Intent and are off limits. So it'll be interesting to see who they dig up to fill the void, if anyone.

That all said, I think Michigan is at least a couple recruiting cycles from returning to their old self, especially if they can't find a new goalie to help in net next season.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Boo Nieves

Ranger fan here, can someone give me a report on Boo Nieves. Thanks

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
How many years in a row has Michigan made the national tourney?

22. 35 overall. A pretty impressive string that looks like it'll be broken this season unless the Wolverines can miraculously win the CCHA auto bid, which I don't see happening. But stranger things have happened I supposed.

NYR425: Re: Nieves. He's a big kid with great hands that knows what to do with the puck once it's on his stick. He's also an excellent skater - IMO, one of his best attributes. Very smooth strides and good agility. Definitely needs to get stronger and think the game a bit quicker, but has a terrific upside.

That's it in a nutshell. Hope this helps.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
The streak is over. Notre Dame owned UM in the last CCHA championship game. I held out hope Michigan would find a way to win, but it wasn't meant to be. Sad to see the streak come to an end. Even worse, next year's iteration may be sorrier than this past season's.

(sigh)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Guys,

Just a Habs fan from the Montreal region who happens to be a BIG Wolverines fan. One of my dream being able to see a game at the Yost. Just want to know how easy it is to get tickets. Especially from somebody outside of the area.

Thanks.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
They sell tickets online at mgoblue.com but no single game tickets are available yet. They're kinda picky on which single games you can choose from if you don't have season tickets. I've not been to Yost since it was renovated. I'm thinking about catching a game this year to check out the new(er) digs plus see a B1G conference game...maybe see them play Wisconsin or Minnesota.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Guys,

Just a Habs fan from the Montreal region who happens to be a BIG Wolverines fan. One of my dream being able to see a game at the Yost. Just want to know how easy it is to get tickets. Especially from somebody outside of the area.

Thanks.

You can typically find single-game tickets when they go on sale. I think it's easier to get tickets to a game in October/November because the college football season is still ongoing and can pull fans away from hockey the first few months of the season. It was so bad the start of last season that Michigan was doing Groupon deals for like $10 tickets, which would have been unheard of a handful of years ago. That said, Michigan has a helluva schedule this coming season, so hopefully that'll translate to more butts in seats.

Do you have a time frame you're looking at trying to make a game at Yost?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You can typically find single-game tickets when they go on sale. I think it's easier to get tickets to a game in October/November because the college football season is still ongoing and can pull fans away from hockey the first few months of the season. It was so bad the start of last season that Michigan was doing Groupon deals for like $10 tickets, which would have been unheard of a handful of years ago. That said, Michigan has a helluva schedule this coming season, so hopefully that'll translate to more butts in seats.

Do you have a time frame you're looking at trying to make a game at Yost?

Thanks guys for your responses. As of now, no time frame. I guess I would have to go when there will be availabilities.

Thanks.

MrWilson*

Learned a lot when RMU came to town...squeaked by in the first game after trailing 3-1 for 2 periods then got shutout 4-0. Not sure how that team is ranked so high :shakehead

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
We'll learn a lot about thus year's team on 11/20 and 11/21 when Michigan travels to play BU in a weekend series. Go Blue!

I was about to say that BU might not be such a great measuring pole, since they got off to a bit of a slow start, but then I remembered they got their captain, Matt Grzelcyk, back over the weekend, and he looked pretty good all things considered.

So, yes, unless the Wolverines end up meeting Michigan Tech in the GLI championship, that will probably be their last significant test in nonconference play. And I'm not sure we should hold our breath on any other Big Ten teams emerging as national giants this season.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
This will be a trying year for Michigan. Huge losses from last year's team. Unproved defense and goaltending. It will be a struggle to make the NCAA tournament.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I stated that in another thread - I don't think anyone was hit as hard by departures as Michigan.

In their favor, the B1g is still pretty weak. The Badgers should be on the rise (nowhere to go but up) but not ready for prime time, I don't know about Minny's offseason enough to comment, State Penn has been good, but...that leaves Michigan a decent chance to win the conference.

Is this Red's last year?

P.S. Good to see you 'down here'. The Wings board is kinda dismal lately.

vannzee

Ruslan Salei fan...
Dec 18, 2010
S.E Michigan
Watch out for Jack LaFontaine as a dark horse in net over Racine or Nagelvort or at the least, hes the future starting next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: