The Official Training Camp Thread (Warning, Post #310)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Benning only likes his own draft picks and sends down those that he doesn't like

Bennings sending a bad message if he sends down McCann

More cognitive dissonance

In fairness, by seemingly all accounts, it was Benning who made WD keep/play Horvat
And Benning didn't draft Horvat

But yeah
Benning hates everyone he had no part of

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I settled on liking this lineup the most:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Higgins - Sutter - Hansen
Gaunce - McCann - Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartkowski

Markstrom
Miller
Absolutely.

I agree 100% but there is no way Vey, Prust, Dorsett and Sbisa are not on the roster come opening night. They are all JB's "guys" and having them all sit out would be an admission of how he ****** up big time.

Sad but true

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Gaunce - McCann - Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartkowski

Markstrom
Miller
Absolutely.

this isnt a great team, but if this is what we end up with (with dorsett being #13 i guess), at least i can have fun cheering for it

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
I agree 100% but there is no way Vey, Prust, Dorsett and Sbisa are not on the roster come opening night. They are all JB's "guys" and having them all sit out would be an admission of how he ****** up big time.

Sad but true

It's so depressing how much money, how many years, and how many assets were thrown away at these guys who don't deserve to be on the team...

I mean you can throw Sutter in that mix of JB blunders too just for that godawful contract he doled out without even seeing him play; that's despite Sutter at least being a serviceable NHLer.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
It's so depressing how much money, how many years, and how many assets were thrown away at these guys who don't deserve to be on the team...

I mean you can throw Sutter in that mix of JB blunders too just for that godawful contract he doled out without even seeing him play; that's despite Sutter at least being a serviceable NHLer.

Benning 100% saw Sutter play out east. At this point it's just another case of Benning's questionable talent evaluation.

We saw it last season with Vey (who's supposed to be a 2C this season) and we're probably gonna see Bae bust based on this pre-season.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Sutter will come good.

You can't play a team full of rookies.

Vey, Baertschi, Higgins, Hansen and Kenins are in some serious job jeopardy right now. Corrado and Bartkowski too.

Can Kenins clear waivers? Gaunce will to start the year but he'll find a way back up quickly.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Sutter will come good.

You can't play a team full of rookies.

IDK did you see Calgary's team last year? 20 yrold 1st line center, 21year old 1st line winger, 24 year old 1st pairing defenseman, 25 year old 2nd line center, 22 year old 2nd line winger.

I'm sure if they can run that and beat us with our old ass lineup then we can have a 22 year old and a 19 year old this year. Hell, in the playoffs Calgary even had a 18 year old.

Can Kenins clear waivers? Gaunce will to start the year but he'll find a way back up quickly.

Kenins does not require waivers.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
hudler, stajan, jones, backlund, giordano, wideman, russell, brodie, bollig etc

just depends where you see that line

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
hudler, stajan, jones, backlund, giordano, wideman, russell, brodie, bollig etc

Backlund and Brodie were 25 and 24 respectively starting the 2014-15 season.

That leaves like what 7 vets?

Look at the Nucks vets:

H.Sedin, D.Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Sutter, Dorsett, Prust, Edler, Hamhuis, Weber, Bartkowski, Sbisa (counting him because he has 7 seasons) am I forgetting anyone?

14 of our 18 spots are taken up with vets.

How the hell are we retooling if we don't allow the kids to play.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
monahan, gaudreau and bennett are probably better than all of our top guys too

They might be better than our top guys but they actually had the balls to play them and find out.

What is stopping McCann from having a monster season with us? How about Gaunce as a shutdown center? Hutton as a top 4 defenseman? We can actually develop our young guys better than Calgary too because we can use the Sedins to shelter the rooks.

What we really should do is get rid of these overpaid bottom 6 players like Sutter, Dorsett, Prust. Get a guy like Richardson and have put a couple young guys on his wing. Only sign vets for 2 years MAX. Not 4 years for a face puncher and definitely not 6 years for a guy who hasn't even played on your team.

Management can talk all it wants about how we want to integrate youth but then sign these vets to spots that could very well be challenged by prospects. We need to have the balls to go out there and play these kids.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
if you have a team of high quality players that are all rookies, yes, you very obviously can play a team full of rookies

yep. just look how that worked out for edmonton!

*crickets*

it doesn't matter how good they are. if you breach critical mass and the weight of your team is on the shoulders of newbies, no amount of on-ice talent can make up for the loss of even-headed, professional leadership. it's right to roll in the youth slowly, as it develops. whatever benning's flaws are, he's ensured that there's a respected, veteran core in vancouver who will carry the bulk of liability for the forseeable future. that's how you develop NHL talent.

Hopeless Unbeliever

May 1, 2011
Scotland
They might be better than our top guys but they actually had the balls to play them and find out.

What is stopping McCann from having a monster season with us? How about Gaunce as a shutdown center? Hutton as a top 4 defenseman? We can actually develop our young guys better than Calgary too because we can use the Sedins to shelter the rooks.

What we really should do is get rid of these overpaid bottom 6 players like Sutter, Dorsett, Prust. Get a guy like Richardson and have put a couple young guys on his wing. Only sign vets for 2 years MAX. Not 4 years for a face puncher and definitely not 6 years for a guy who hasn't even played on your team.

Management can talk all it wants about how we want to integrate youth but then sign these vets to spots that could very well be challenged by prospects. We need to have the balls to go out there and play these kids.

Pretty much this. Nobody is talking about ditching every vet and running a junior team, but these guys are the future. There needs to be a balance but right now we're toiling away with the balance way in favour of the vets when it's getting us absolutely nowhere.

Also Edmonton keep falling to pieces because they have had a ridiculously lopsided lineup for years.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

Trading Bonino was admission of a ****-up.

Desjardins is allowed to ice his roster. I doubt he keeps Prust or Vey to curry favor with Benning. Anyway, it's a good idea to keep a lot of bodies around. The opening roster won't survive intact. Look at the first four games.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

*crickets*

it doesn't matter how good they are. if you breach critical mass and the weight of your team is on the shoulders of newbies, no amount of on-ice talent can make up for the loss of even-headed, professional leadership. it's right to roll in the youth slowly, as it develops. whatever benning's flaws are, he's ensured that there's a respected, veteran core in vancouver who will carry the bulk of liability for the forseeable future. that's how you develop NHL talent.

It's because for a long time Edmonton was a **** team with many holes in their roster (especially on defense and in net), had an incompetent management team, and had terrible coaching. It's not like they magically improved when they acquired guys like Andrew "Leadership" Ference or Boyd "Veteran" Gordon.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Gaunce - McCann - Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartkowski

Markstrom
Miller

I completely agree with this lineup. Youth and quality. If we dumped the crappy guys the young'uns replaced we could actually have an even faster retool here.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Habs fan here.

McCann is a stud, I kept hearing he was a good 2 way guy during his staff year but I didnt expect that kind of skill and smart offensively, beautiful release too.

Hutton looked like a star yesterday

Biega impressed me too, great skater, very reliable

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

*crickets*

Not the same situation as Edmonton at all.

We keep the Sedins kicking around so that we can shelter our forewards. Adding a slew of rookies to the mix shouldn't hurt too much.

Edmonton also had no defense or goaltending. If we stop trying to downgrade our goaltending year after year we should never be in the mess they found themselves in. People need to stop fear mongering.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The rookies weren't the problem in Edmonton. They had a trash locker room, trash defence, trash goaltending and trash bottom 6.

Our rookies would be what makes our bottom 6 and defence less trash, so do you understand the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad