Player Discussion: The Official Steven Stamkos Appreciation Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
The report was 3M for 8 years from Tampa.
Stamkos, according to what was floated, was looking at 4-5M for 8 years.

We get Guentzel no matter what. That move was not impeding or in jeopardy by resigning Stamkos or not.

He's an Achilles as much as a lot of our guys defensively but we also just lost our 2nd best face-off guy. Point was shit half the year on coverage down low. You could mitigate him to middle six as he ages. It's just bizarre that didn't budge 1-2M. And sure, we could've traded him in three years? I don't get why it came to this and how it came down to this.

Like, listen to Stamkos telling his side in the most professional way possible. It's ass.
I don’t think we have $4m to spare and still fill out the roster.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Let’s be reality here… the cup teams were teams Yzerman built, especially that first one. JBB certainly had more of a hand in the second and then the finals appearance, but most of the team’s success has been built on the back of SFY.

I’m not on the fire JBB train yet. But god damn, this situation needed to be handled so much better than it was. You don’t treat that caliber of person/player like that.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Let’s be reality here… the cup teams were teams Yzerman built, especially that first one. JBB certainly had more of a hand in the second and then the finals appearance, but most of the team’s success has been built on the back of SFY.

I’m not on the fire JBB train yet. But god damn, this situation needed to be handled so much better than it was. You don’t treat that caliber of person/player like that.
Oh it immediately makes his seat hot.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don’t think we have $4m to spare and still fill out the roster.
Probably not, but you can find it for this specific guy.

If he was asking us for 7+, I get it. Even 6, it's murky. And maybe that's the reality of the situation.

The weird thing is just how uncooperative JBB seemed through this? Like, somehow it seemed like he was moving on a year ago.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

By and large. JBB burned through assets and a team built by a team he wasn't in charge of. Now that's he's in a period where we are above average, he's all over the place.

Like @DFC Said, it's a step forward and one back kind of thing. Suddenly, we were turning into the broad street bullies, then we move every tough, hard nosed player. Jeannot for 5, get two picks back. The carousel around McD and Sergachev don't align with what he just said.

Retooling is such a difficult transition when you win cups and try to remain competitive. Right now he looks confused based on the last two seasons and what he did today. Genuinely lost. I cannot imagine our dressing room is remotely pleased, even though they know it's a business.

I believe Moser still needs a contract so it would’ve been incredibly tight after signing Guentzel.
I kinda think he's in the 3M range, so it would've taken moving Sheary and running Goncalves in the lineup or an AHL promotion. But, you have a set top 6 and solidified defense. Instead... whatever he does with our roster remains to be seen but I doubt it'll be better. Just my two cents there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
By and large. JBB burned through assets and a team built by a team he wasn't in charge of. Now that's he's in a period where we are above average, he's all over the place.

Like @DFC Said, it's a step forward and one back kind of thing. Suddenly, we were turning into the broad street bullies, then we move every tough, hard nosed player. Jeannot for 5, get two picks back. The carousel around McD and Sergachev don't align with what he just said.

Retooling is such a difficult transition when you win cups and try to remain competitive. Right now he looks confused based on the last two seasons and what he did today. Genuinely lost. I cannot imagine our dressing room is remotely pleased, even though they know it's a business.

I kinda think he's in the 3M range, so it would've taken moving Sheary and running Goncalves in the lineup or an AHL promotion. But, you have a set top 6 and solidified defense. Instead... whatever he does with our roster remains to be seen but I doubt it'll be better. Just my two cents there.
Yeah, I mean, I LOVE bringing McDonagh back. But to me it was a clear mistake to move him in the first place, rather than trying to move a forward. I mean, credit to JBB for being willing to fix mistakes, but there have definitely been a lot of mistakes.

With Stamkos... I mean, there's the human side, sure. I mean, for me, that's a minimal thing, but also not to be ignored. We just seemed to treat him poorly on the way out. But there is also the idea that I don't understand how we are gonna get better value on a contract. To me, that's the bigger deal. But when you combine it, it's just a bad scene.

Hopefully we bring in one more guy. I'm not sure if we're targeting a RHD or a depth forward. But I don't think we're just gonna pocket the remaining cap.

One underrated thing though is JBB has added some decent draft picks. I don't think we will use them. I think he's trying to load up some assets to make TDL moves. LOL maybe we see Jeannot 2.0, but I like the idea of making sure we are in position to improve the team in March.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yeah, I mean, I LOVE bringing McDonagh back. But to me it was a clear mistake to move him in the first place, rather than trying to move a forward. I mean, credit to JBB for being willing to fix mistakes, but there have definitely been a lot of mistakes.

With Stamkos... I mean, there's the human side, sure. I mean, for me, that's a minimal thing, but also not to be ignored. We just seemed to treat him poorly on the way out. But there is also the idea that I don't understand how we are gonna get better value on a contract. To me, that's the bigger deal. But when you combine it, it's just a bad scene.

Hopefully we bring in one more guy. I'm not sure if we're targeting a RHD or a depth forward. But I don't think we're just gonna pocket the remaining cap.

One underrated thing though is JBB has added some decent draft picks. I don't think we will use them. I think he's trying to load up some assets to make TDL moves. LOL maybe we see Jeannot 2.0, but I like the idea of making sure we are in position to improve the team in March.
That’s the part that stings me too. Who tf would we get for better value than who we just let walk out the door? Not even just numbers wise, but the culture too? Think Kicherov is gonna take a cut on his next contract now? Or Point? Or whomever? Stamkos set that precedent, along with Hedman.

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Wings fan here, who really wanted Stamkos in Detroit as you can see by my (now embarrassing lol) profile pic

Stamkos is one of my favorite non Wings of all time, I really thought he played quite well this playoffs and showed he had a lot of good hockey left in him, and from what I saw he really put to rest many of the playoff performer knocks in 2022. I know he wasn't the best player on the team anymore with Kucherov and Vasilevskiy and what not, but he's still the guy I thought of when I thought of Tampa for years.

Just watched the TSN interview, and despite Stamkos keeping it as classy as he could, man, it really reminds me of the how poorly the Wings organization treated Yzerman in mid nineties and despite that, Stamkos just like Yzerman still wanted to stick with the team. And lucky for us that Yzerman had injuries and surgeries at the time as well as a high salary, and so a trade didn't happen, you guys unfortunately aren't as lucky.

Hope Stamkos finds his way back on your team before his career ends with still some good hockey left and you guys get to properly see him retire in Tampa.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
That’s the part that stings me too. Who tf would we get for better value than who we just let walk out the door? Not even just numbers wise, but the culture too? Think Kicherov is gonna take a cut on his next contract now? Or Point? Or whomever? Stamkos set that precedent, along with Hedman.
Doomsday thoughts aside, it 100% would not surprise me if Kucherov requests a trade after another 1st round exit. That's one of those guys you keep happy at all costs and I can't imagine he's too thrilled about Sergachev and Stamkos being shown the door so quickly. Yeah, he's a professional, but he's also a professional crybaby we love and see throw tantrums for being breathed on. Floating this out now, wouldn't surprise me this effected the team in a way that isn't limited to this day.

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Absolutely. The team has to be pissed off by this development, and what about the coaches? Kucherov was practicing with Stamkos a week after they were eliminated. McDonagh talked how excited he was to be joining Stamkos and company again.

Stamkos was so respected by everyone in that room and never did I think it would come to this. And damn BriseBois for lying and saying signing Stamkos was top priority as cover.

And Guentzel is now walking into this mess. No fault of his own but now he is the "replacement." If Stamkos wasn't so beloved and if he had wanted a change in scenery, be completely different.

Every single postseason interview by a player or coach said signing Stamkos was important to them.

Clear now the reality was they were telling the truth and BriseBois wasn't.

This team still has major holes in the lineup and now what? Who is going to fill those spots? We've gone sideways with a huge unknown in how Guentzel integrates into the line up, still without a complete top 6.

Congratulations, BriseBois. You've adversely impacted the team dynamic, pissed off the fanbase, and still managed to not address glaring deficiencies on the roster.

Now I need some meditation exercises to lower the blood pressure.

But no statue for you, BriseBois. (But you know those players won't trust a word out of this guy's mouth going forward).
I think JBB may be done… thats how bad this is… my hockey senses are telling me he’s done. I don’t see how you overcome this and remain GM for very long lol….

TampaIceman

Jun 29, 2024
Doomsday thoughts aside, it 100% would not surprise me if Kucherov requests a trade after another 1st round exit. That's one of those guys you keep happy at all costs and I can't imagine he's too thrilled about Sergachev and Stamkos being shown the door so quickly. Yeah, he's a professional, but he's also a professional crybaby we love and see throw tantrums for being breathed on. Floating this out now, wouldn't surprise me this effected the team in a way that isn't limited to this day.
When Kuch plays with Guentzel he will have no complaints

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida

I am worried about this as well I mentioned this when Sergy got traded that I doubt him and Vasy are happy.

Now the captain got shown the door in one of the worst ways possible.

Entire locker room is probably angry.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
I am worried about this as well I mentioned this when Sergy got traded that I doubt him and Vasy are happy.

Now the captain got shown the door in one of the worst ways possible.

Entire locker room is probably angry.
McDonagh didn't even get to take the ice with him again. He said it was easy to be excited getting to join Stankos and Kucherov and Hedman again, that they could find success and that work ethic and culture were Tampa staples. Giant gap now.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
The report was 3M for 8 years from Tampa.
Stamkos, according to what was floated, was looking at 4-5M for 8 years.

We get Guentzel no matter what. That move was not impeding or in jeopardy by resigning Stamkos or not.

He's an Achilles as much as a lot of our guys defensively but we also just lost our 2nd best face-off guy. Point was shit half the year on coverage down low. You could mitigate him to middle six as he ages. It's just bizarre that didn't budge 1-2M. And sure, we could've traded him in three years? I don't get why it came to this and how it came down to this.

Like, listen to Stamkos telling his side in the most professional way possible. It's ass.
How do you figure? With Guentzel signed we have roughly 6M in cap space left and only 19 of 23 roster spots filled?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
This day is tough and I sympathize with Stamkos. I understand the direction JBB was going in from a hockey perspective but to me he’s still being way too diplomatic about this.

He didn’t like the hockey fit, it didn’t come down to money. He was unwilling to give Stamkos a spot unless it came at 40 cents on the dollar. He knew this for a year and still strung everyone along. Just own up to that and don’t make it seem like Stamkos was asking for too much. The open market clearly defined his value.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Feeling gutted right now. Never felt such a combo of sadness and anger as a Bolts fan. Sadness due to these amazing 16 years with Stammer coming to an end. Anger over how JBB forced this to happen when it didn't have to. You don't treat a franchise player and class act like Stammer this way, especially when he wanted to stay.

I don't think it's an accident that Hedman hasn't signed his rumored extension. For how close Heddy and Stammer are, this has to sour him towards JBB. Yzerman deserves to be at any subsequent commemorations of the B2B champs, not JBB.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Feeling gutted right now. Never felt such a combo of sadness and anger as a Bolts fan. Sadness due to these amazing 16 years with Stammer coming to an end. Anger over how JBB forced this to happen when it didn't have to. You don't treat a franchise player and class act like Stammer this way, especially when he wanted to stay.

I don't think it's an accident that Hedman hasn't signed his rumored extension. For how close Heddy and Stammer are, this has to sour him towards JBB. Yzerman deserves to be at any subsequent commemorations of the B2B champs, not JBB.
If you can't handle freinds getting traded then I think you're in the wrong line of work.

I agree that this could have been handled way better but at the end of the day hockey IS a business and these guys are getting paid millions of dollars. They're gonna be ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad