Golf: The Official Ryder Cup Thread

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
1692644549507.png
Where: Marco Simone Golf & Country Club near Rome, Italy. The US is up 27-14 all-time. The US has not won on the road in 30 years.

PLAYERS​

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
For US

The top8 are basically locked (Scheffler, Clark, Cantlay, Harman, Koepka, Homa, Schauffle, Spieth)

I’d want Rickie and Colin there

Last 2, I’d probably want Cam Young and then Glover for the last spot.

Only other guys who I could realistically see as options would be Keegan (meh) and JT, who obviously has track record but just sucks right now.

Don’t see Bryson as realistic option despite shooting 58. He hasn’t done much on LIV, other than that, and he’s kind of a goober, who doesn’t seem as liked as other guys.

Finau, great player and talent, just not good enough this year, I’m sure he’ll be back for Bethpage.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
There's just no way I'd want Glover on the team. Take Keegan over him if you wanna reward a veteran who's had a good year rather than taking JT.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
There's just no way I'd want Glover on the team. Take Keegan over him if you wanna reward a veteran who's had a good year rather than taking JT.

Why not? it seems like he really figured out the putter.

Last 6 starts: T4, T6, 5, MC, 1, 1

I think he's clearly a better player right now than Bradley, JT.

His results at the BWM and East Lake could be a deciding factor. If he goes cold and doesn't contend, I could see him not being considered strongly. But same token if he has a very high finish at East Lake not sure you can pick against him.

I might be a little biased, I'll always have a soft spot for Glover for winning a major on my home course.

Would've been great if Ryder Cup @ Bethpage was this year and he made the team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Glover is a no for me, unless he keeps having high finishes. Don’t want Bradley either. Considering you are picking a team for weeks in the future, form like a month and a half before doesn’t really matter that much, if you haven’t shown you can sustain it over a long period. Give me Rickie, Morikawa, JT, and Bryson. I’m out on Burns, Young, and Finau unless they drastically pick things up immediately. Fully agree with the above that a guy who was suing the PGA Tour won’t be picked, so Finau would be my last pick in the very likely situation that Bryson isn’t an option.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Why not? it seems like he really figured out the putter.

We've got like an entire career's worth of sample size that would suggest Glover is not anywhere close to the player he's been for the past month or so, and that would suggest his hot streak is bound to end sooner rather than later. Conversely, we've got an entire career's worth of sample size that would suggest JT is one of the best players in the world (including plenty of Ryder Cup sample size).

If the tournament was being held next week, I'd take Glover...

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The thing with the guys who pop up at the end of the selection process is you gotta feel comfortable that the golf that got them this late buzz to make the team is their new level of golf headed into the future.

You’re picking a team for a month later. How often are the players who win on any given week or contend doing so a month later? It’s usually only if they are one of the best players. So whoever we’re discussing, I would not pick anyone because they do well late in the season, unless I bought that it was here to stay as opposed to they got hot for a week or two.

I tend to think the best thing to look at is like 3-6 month form as opposed to 3-6 week form. And I’d also default to the player with the better long-term track record when it’s close.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Glover wasn't a factor at BMW and is +3 on his round through 8 holes at East Lake...

Yeah he's got no shot now.

Didn't realize Cam Young missed the cut in making it to East Lake, disappointing.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The more I think about it, nothing surprising. Thomas was always on the team because none of the non-qualifiers made it that hard during the playoffs to pick him.

Burns over Young was the most surprising call, but Burns is good friends with Scottie and that is probably enough.

And I think there’s nothing wrong with picking it like this. So many are mad Keegan Bradley didn’t make it. I’m sorry, there’s 6 automatic slots. If these players that aren’t part of the main players that usually make the teams want to make it, they should automatically qualify. Harman and Clark aren’t making it without doing so, but they did. They showed Keegan Bradley how it’s done. If Bradley, Henley, Glover, Young want to be on these teams, play better.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

He’s right that it’s a total boys club. Difficult for the slightly older players that are born in the 80’s or late 70’s. They didn’t grow up playing with the likes of Spieth, Scheffler, Thomas, Morikawa that are going to play almost all of these and then get their say on who fills out the last few spots. The captains don’t act like coaches or GM’s anymore. They ask the players who they want and then those players usually make it.

The only two born in the 80’s that made it are Harman (auto qualified, and likely wasn’t getting a pick) and Fowler (he’s born December of 88, so still younger 80’s and friends with the “cool” crew)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it too late for Alex Fitz? He’s been great the last few months. We know that he’ll have one big supporter in the ear of the captain to have him on the team.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Is it too late for Alex Fitz? He’s been great the last few months. We know that he’ll have one big supporter in the ear of the captain to have him on the team.
I doubt he makes it and these will probably be the picks

Aberg
Fleetwood
Lowry
Meronk
Rose
Straka

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Picks are in - Fleetwood, Rose, Lowry, Straka, Hojgaard, Aberg.

Really surprised with Hojgaard over Meronk. On one hand, it's probably the best pick for them since Hojgaard is really playing well right now, his game fits Marco Simone (like Meronk's) and he's got a lot of room to grow for future Ryder Cups. On the other hand, I was expecting they'd 'reward' Meronk for probably being the best DP World Tour player over the past 2 years. And it's not like he's in poor form, either. I wonder if there'll be some sour Euros that Meronk was left out?

I think I prefer Europe this time around.

• Wow

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Picks are in - Fleetwood, Rose, Lowry, Straka, Hojgaard, Aberg. Really surprised with Hojgaard over Meronk. On one hand, it's probably the best pick for them since Hojgaard is really playing well right now, his game fits Marco Simone (like Meronk's) and he's got a lot of room to grow for future Ryder Cups. On the other hand, I was expecting they'd 'reward' Meronk for probably being the best DP World Tour player over the past 2 years. And it's not like he's in poor form, either. I wonder if there'll be some sour Euros that Meronk was left out? I think I prefer Europe this time around.
Agreed. I prefer Europe also. I thought Fleetwood was automatic. I was wrong about the last 2 picks.

Last edited:

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I didn't think that Hojgaard would be picked as Meronk is solid but it seems they are picking for ceiling.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
No offense to MacIntyre but I think many were rooting for that auto-qualifier spot to go to Meronk. But ultimately he held his own fate and didn't deliver enough at crunch time. I think the last wildcard spots came down to the best performances in Czechia and Switzerland. Unfortunately for Meronk there were some easy veteran picks to be made, Fedex finalist Straka likewise, and then the two superstar talents available both delivered better than he did.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Big shot Bob’s data golf world ranking is more than two times worse than everyone else at the Ryder Cup. He didn’t even win a major out of nowhere and then struggle the rest of the season or something very hard to account for. That’s really bad computation of how a points system works for him to qualify automatically. Completely self-inflicted.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think most would agree he's the 'worst' player at Ryder Cup but still, three spots from the European list is not much especially since McIlroy and Rahm led the way. Says a bit about the state of the European tour I guess. Many including me wanted Meronk, but he's also played a full season and still collected just a little more than 1/3 of Rory's points. Not much to show on the big stage.

I still like the bottom half of this European squad a lot, much more than many other years. Quite frankly Rory's form is more of an issue right now. Åberg's emergance is huge for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00