The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah Dean Brown is a massive slimy shill. Not quite a shill of the same magnitude as someone like Disgustin’ Bruce Garrioch, but a shill nonetheless.
Yeah, Dean Brown followed up what Ian said with a big steaming serving of shill. What an embarrassment.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Nepean, ON
He seems to have no respect for the fans and thinks that 90% don't actually care about the team and just like having hockey on in the background. Literally everyone I know is pissed about the Sens right now, not just the guys who post on HFBoards and twitter non-stop.

Oh I fully agree with you. Everyone I know that are Sens fans are baffled by what is going on here. It just is a huge dissonance between himself and the fanbase (Hm, that sounds eerily familiar to another person and their dissonance with the fanbase...).

But I'm not going to disagree with his statement that there is some of the fanbase that just go to these games to either watch hockey with their kids and literally give two figs about who's in the line up and would just go and watch hockey. There are those kinds of fans that just enjoy the game and the team for being here. I know a couple of people.

In the end, who knows. Dean may surround himself with no one but people who are happy go lucky folk. He even commented afterwards that he's a positive person. I can respect that.

But to say something and for Ian to have to come back and correct him by telling him that the sales are down...There's being positive and then there's facing the real facts.

Reactions: Smeddy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I wouldn't say anyone really gave it to Brown as much as they should have. Mostly Brown just let out a ton of hot air for 5 straight minutes.

I don't want to have them yell at eachother though. Everyone said what they wanted to say and there was plenty of tension.

Calling out and such is what we do on Internet forums, these people work together and are probably on friendly terms. They know how to disagree as adults.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Oh I fully agree with you. Everyone I know that are Sens fans are baffled by what is going on here. It just is a huge dissonance between himself and the fanbase (Hm, that sounds eerily familiar to another person and their dissonance with the fanbase...).

But I'm not going to disagree with his statement that there is some of the fanbase that just go to these games to either watch hockey with their kids and literally give two figs about who's in the line up and would just go and watch hockey. There are those kinds of fans that just enjoy the game and the team for being here. I know a couple of people.

In the end, who knows. Dean may surround himself with no one but people who are happy go lucky folk. He even commented afterwards that he's a positive person. I can respect that.

But to say something and for Ian to have to come back and correct him by telling him that the sales are down...There's being positive and then there's facing the real facts.

I don't know. Brown comes across to me as being very arrogant and condescending. I listened to the pre-game show and the level of disrespect and apathy Brown has for the fanbase is appalling. Brown is one of the enablers Mendes has rightly called out and he is one the reasons why this franchise is such a joke. I stopped going to games after our lowlife owner fired Cyril Leeder and now I'm so pissed off I'm going to stop listening to Sens games on the radio after 25 years. Can things get any lower than this?

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Nepean, ON
I don't know. Brown comes across to me as being very arrogant and condescending. I listened to the pre-game show and the level of disrespect and apathy Brown has for the fanbase is appalling. Brown is one of the enablers Mendes has rightly called out and he is one the reasons why this franchise is such a joke. I stopped going to games after our lowlife owner fired Cyril Leeder and now I'm so pissed off I'm going to stop listening to Sens games on the radio after 25 years. Can things get any lower than this?

I don't have your standing with the team; only 13 years when I really invested myself in 2006. But it's becoming increasingly harder to want to even watch games. I have two games I'm going to. And I'm looking right now at the roster and if all three are gone...that really doesn't bode well for me to enjoy either games.

Going to be a long end of season and future season the way this is going. It's just unheard of to see four talents like this just leave. Five if you count Hoffman. It's just mindblowing.

Reactions: Henderson1972

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
@ianmendes well put on the Drive tonight.

The only reason Eugene Melnyk has a sour relationship with the media, is because he possesses a critical character flaw in that he is incapable of taking criticism.

That's not the media's fault. As a professional, he should be able to take the objective criticisms presented by media humbly and work to improve on it. Instead he lashes out and is offended by it. That type of behaviour is so bad for business.

I hope going forward the station is much more open to discussing the fact that the management of this team is the #1 issue. You as media shouldn't be "afraid" of saying this. Its constructive criticism, and if the organization cant handle it, that's their problem, not yours.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Dean's been completely insufferable ever since he had his stomach stapled. Before that he was just insufferable part of the time.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Guys, guys, Dean Brown thinks exactly like we all do but he wants to keep his job. Why wouldn't he? He enabled Mindy to tell it like it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Like debate class...someone has to get the short straw and be the the devils advocate.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Yeah that was the last straw for me for Dean Brown. That was horrible to listen to. I think we should attempt to get him fired. I used to enjoy his calls but he's tainted himself to the point where I can't stand him any more.

Dean's always been that way. He and Gord used to do the post-game show by themselves and he was always incredibly condescending towards callers who were not paid to follow hockey as a career but expressed an opinion that differed from his. Fortunately they both disappeared from hosting the post-game show eventually. It would be best if they just called the games and left it at that, I don't really enjoy him on the pre-game show but at least there are others around to balance things out.

The situation that the Sens are currently in brings out both the best (eg. Ian today) and the worst in people (any Sens management interview) when it comes to media.

People in the media have to realize that these situations make or break their reputation. Someday, one way or another, Melnyk will be gone and people will remember who maintained their credibility and who got caught up in the Senators' reality-distortion-field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark