Movies: The Official "Movie of the Week" Club Thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm doing some traveling the next few weeks and while I still might pop up here on the Entertainment board for a quick snarky comment or two, I probably won't have the chance to crank out anything considered or thoughtful. I will catch up when I return!

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
The Naked Island (1960) dir. Kaneto Shindo
A family of parents with two children live alone on a small barren island. Life on the island is incredibly tough. There's no accessible fresh water on the island. So to access water for drinking and cooking, as well as for irrigating their crops, which struggle to grow in the poor soil. So to get water the family needs to sail to the mainland several times a day to bring back water. The oldest son also needs to travel to the mainland every day for school. The parents spend most of their day slowly and labourously going back and forth to the mainland to bring water for the crops. They have been doing the same routine for years, so there's nothing for them to talk about, whatever needs to be said has been said long ago. All their communications can be done with a glance or body language.

The Naked Island is basically a silent film made in the talking era. Shindo manages to tell a very succesful story without using dialogue, about the harshness of rural life. The family has to struggle for everything they have. When they get lucky and catch a large fish. They are able to use the proceeds from selling the fish to go the nearest town and eat at a restaurant. They know a less arduous life exists. But they see no way of obtaining it. They don't necesarrily dislike their life either, but they also have very little time to enjoy life, as all day, every day, is spent doing hard manual labour. They probably have no time to consider a better life, and how they could ever achieve a better and easier life. When they lose one of their sons, they don't have time to grief, because they need to continue working their fields. Not doing so would mean the end of all of them. The poor can't afford emotions.

Using no dialogue and no intertitles, Shindo has do all his story telling through editing and visuals. The editing in particular I think is very good. To me he seems inspired by directors such as Eisenstein and their use of montage to tell a story. The individual shots or individual scenes in the film don't really stand out, but they way they are edited together elevates them to a different level, and really makes the story come through the screen.

My only prior experience with Shindo was from Onibaba, which is a very different film from The Naked Island, but Shindo manages both styles of film brilliantly.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Naked Island
Shindo (1960)

A dramatic look at the life of a family making an agrarian living on a remote Japanese island. It’s a tough life. Their plants are irrigated by lugging barrels of water from the sea to their fields. There is joy. They sell a fish and are able to dine at a nice restaurant on the populated island. We later learn (under tragic circumstances) that the kids do attend school. The isolation does not protect them. Their son dies from illness. But the work does not stop. There’s not time to grieve. Mere moments before attention has to go back to the crops.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen anything quite like this. Certainly there’s been slice-of-life films like this before, but something about this has really stuck with me. It’s drama, but it’s got an almost documentary-like feel at times. It’s also practically a silent film given how little dialogue there is. Just the sounds of work and life. Sometimes these sort of flourishes can annoy me — there’s developed a rich (and to me annoying) history of TV shows pulling out “silent” episodes — but here I wasn’t bothered one bit. Didn’t feel real exactly, but certainly felt natural and fitting. Story is action and movement and visuals, not discussion.

It was almost a shock to me when they venture out to society and I learned this isn’t a historic piece … it’s more modern. These people are keeping up a tradition and history as the world beyond them continues to grow. What to think of this? Foolish? Noble? With no discussion we’re left to our own thoughts and the poetry of Shindo’s images.

Like Jevo, the only other Shindo movie I have seen is Onibaba (which I also loved, but is very different).

Reactions: kihei

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The Naked Island / 裸の島 (Kaneto Shindō, 1960)

The Naked Island is a distinctive film by Kaneto Shindō that merges drama and realism to explore human endurance and the beauty of simplicity. The film focuses on a family's struggle to survive on a remote Japanese island, receiving acclaim for its artistic elements but potentially alienating some viewers with its slow pace and minimal narrative.

At its core, the film meditates on human resilience and the profound connection between people and their environment. The relentless toil of the family as they cultivate their barren land underscores themes of isolation, community, and the cyclical nature of life. Nobuko Otowa and Taiji Tonoyama deliver understated yet powerful performances, their stoic realism and lack of dialogue emphasizing physical expressions and actions to convey a range of emotions.

The cinematography by Kiyomi Kuroda stands out, capturing the harsh beauty of the island in stark black and white. Long takes and static shots emphasize the repetitive nature of the family's labor, while wide shots highlight their isolation. Kaneto Shindō's direction is meticulous, using a purely visual narrative to immerse the audience in the family's daily struggles. This deliberate approach contributes to the film's slow pacing, testing the patience of some viewers but reinforcing themes of persistence and endurance.

Sparse but effective sound design, with natural sounds and Hikaru Hayashi's minimalistic score, enhances the film's immersive atmosphere. The production design is authentic and unpretentious, reflecting the family's simple lifestyle and adding realism to the narrative.

The Naked Island excels in portraying human resilience and simplicity's beauty, though its slow pacing and minimalistic approach may not appeal to all. Despite its lack of conventional narrative elements, it remains a unique, thought-provoking piece of cinema deserving recognition for its bold stylistic choices and profound themes.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
nakedisland_current2_medium.jpg

The Naked Island (1960) Directed by Kaneto Shindo

As I was watching The Naked Island, I realized that I had seen the movie before in a film class long, long ago. I couldn't help but note that in my more recent viewing on You Tube, someone had taken it upon themselves to eliminate all the song and dance numbers, but the work held up pretty well anyway. (kidding, just kidding). The Naked Island is a movie about endless toil, focusing on one family for whom life is an inescapable Sisyphean task not of rolling a rock up a hill for eternity but instead hauling up backbreaking buckets of water up a steep incline every single day. When something out of the ordinary happens, it is bad--a son dies, the weather destroys their woeful crops, a dropped bucket of precious water leads to a hard slap across the face. It is a movie that asks is a life like this really worth living. My immediate reaction was "no." But then again I was the one sipping the Petit Chablis.

Some things go very understated in the movie. The relationship between the adults--the husband appearing much older than the wife--has hardened into nothing more than a checklist of duties to perform. Neither takes comfort in the other, if they ever did. The woman's lot seems especially brutal. She is trapped living with the human equivalent of a dumb ox, and at one understandable point, her anger and rage briefly boils over--before she returns, as she must, to the neverending drudgery that defines their lives. What makes all this bearable to watch is the Soviet-era style cinematography and editing that makes use of silent film techniques to tell a story that is virtually without words. Some of the images are so beautiful that they form a stark contrast with the realities of this family's lives. The beauty of nature stands in contrast with the literally uphill battle that wears people to a nub. Humans live within nature but for too many, something goes wrong somewhere...and there is really nothing that they can do about it.

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Crimes and Misdemeanors (Woody Allen, 1989)

Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors is a compelling blend of dark comedy and drama that delves into the intricacies of morality, guilt, and human relationships. With an exceptional cast, including Martin Landau, Anjelica Huston, and Allen himself, the film expertly navigates the murky waters of ethical dilemmas and the consequences of our actions.

The narrative weaves together two distinct yet thematically linked stories. Judah Rosenthal (Landau), a respected ophthalmologist, faces a moral quandary when his extramarital affair with Dolores (Huston) threatens to unravel his life. Parallel to this, Cliff Stern (Allen), a struggling documentary filmmaker, wrestles with his own professional and personal frustrations. Landau delivers a powerful performance, capturing Judah's internal struggle with remarkable depth and nuance.

Allen's screenplay is both incisive and thought-provoking, posing challenging questions about justice, morality, and the human condition. The dialogue is peppered with Allen's signature wit, balancing the film's heavier themes with moments of dark humor. This interplay between comedy and drama enriches the film, making it both entertaining and intellectually stimulating.

Visually, the film benefits from Ingmar Bergman regular, Sven Nykvist's, masterful cinematography. The use of light and shadow enhances the film's mood, reflecting the dualities within the characters and their situations. The classical score, featuring pieces by Schubert and others, adds a layer of emotional resonance to the narrative.

Crimes and Misdemeanors shines in its refusal to offer simple resolutions. It challenges viewers to confront their own beliefs about morality and consequence, leaving a lasting impression long after the credits roll. In a cinematic landscape often dominated by black-and-white moral tales, Allen's film stands out for its complexity and depth. Crimes and Misdemeanors is a thought-provoking and engaging film that examines the fragile balance between our actions and their repercussions, reminding us of the enduring shadows cast by our choices.

But god are those scenes with Allen and the niece difficult to watch knowing Allen's history.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Crimes & Misdemeanors
Allen (1989)
“Is this what I deserve?”

Parallel stories of men at relationship crossroads, so to speak. Judge Rosenthal has been cheating on his wife for some time, promising his lover a future he doesn’t intend to fulfil. She’s at her breaking point and is ready to blow their respective lives up. Cliff Stern is a struggling documentarian who takes a job he does not want and meanwhile falls for another woman who could upend his life. Rosenthal’s decision and path lead to dark drama and death. Stern’s is more the stuff of romantic comedy or farce. In the excellent closing scene, the two men, who tangentially are in the same world, meet at a party and lament their lots in life.

I won’t prolong the potential elephant in this film, which is Allen’s odd relationship with his young niece. It’s something I’m not sure many (myself included) would have clocked years ago, but given everything that’s known about Allen, boy does that pop out as gross and questionable watching it now. I’m not a hardliner in art vs. artist debates. I take things case by case. Might create inconsistencies, but I can’t think of any other way to do it. Given the bulk of the film here, I can draw a line. I don’t feel like I have to reject it because Allen made it (though I did get it from the library, rather than paying to rent it). But it’s hard to plant a flag in that small storyline. Can’t fault others if they did though.

Moving on, I wouldn’t say I have a deep experience with Allen. Probably about middle-of-the-pack amongst movie people. I’ve seen enough to get the gist, but am far from a completist. I’d agree with the reputation that this is among his best. Might be my personal favorite among the dozen or so I’ve seen. Clever structure, generally great performances, building to a somewhat unconventional but memorable climax. Allen openly loved Ingmar Bergman and Landau is a really stellar hang-dog mouthpiece for some Bergman-esque pondering of God. Alan Alda is welcome bit of comedic obnoxiousness. But the end result is pretty bleak. Bad people win and God seems to be nowhere to be found. And yet I laughed a fair amount along the journey.

In a quirk of coincidental timing, I watched Richard Linklater’s Hit Man around the same time I watched this and thought it shared at least some of the interesting dark comedy and moral messiness that’s present here. Both movies leave the audience with potentially uncomfortable sympathies and choices.

Reactions: Pink Mist and kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
EB19891013REVIEWS910130302AR.jpg

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) Directed by Woody Allen

It is odd to think that there was a time when Allen as a film maker seemed to be the chroniclerr of American moral decline, something about which he seemed genuinely appalled. In many of his movies, seemingly ordinary people--his kind of people, urbane New Yorkers--were examined and found wanting, their choices neurotic, self-serving and chaotic. Allen as characters in these films seemed to respond at times to these other characters with mostly hang-wringling: this is awful--how can normal people do this to one another. His works were still comic, but they could be and were mentioned in the same breath as Bergman, the Swedish genius who pursued the darkness of the human soul from a position of existential dread. Heavy stuff for a comic, but insightful, too--at least until he started having an affair with an adopted daughter. That snapped people's heads back in a whiplash of disbelief and disappointment, and it violated his audience's trust. He was supposed to be one of the good guys who sees through the moral relativism of these privileged elites; not a leading offender.

So his movies became harder, sometimes impossible to judge as clearly as they had once been as everything became now filtered through the knowledge of his transgression of the norms. One of the unintended consequences of all this is that I think the controversy may have elevated Crimes and Misdemeanors to his best movie. Whereas Manhattan is now, for me, virtually unwatchable, with a creep-factor that I wonder how I first ignored, Crimes and Misdemanors seems his most penetrating social criticism. A point is made in the movie that one must be good because God's eyes are always watching everything you do. I think the major point of this movie, though, is that you know, really, you can get away with almost anything if what remains of your conscience can adjust to it, and, besides, God doesn't actually give a f***. Never did.

Allen sets up an interesting contrast between Judah (Martin Landau), a humanitarian and all around good and generous man, and the far less elevated Cliff (Woody Allen), a part of the lowly struggling masses, who rationalizes with such zeal that he never quite grasps how misplaced his sense of moral superiority is nor how unrelievedly self-serving his motives are. Judah can be charming and Cliff can be funny, but In the end both of these characters are left to muddle along as best they can. And they will. Judah has already accepted his fate--he is a murderer who once again can enjoy the simple pleasures that he had thought he lost. His worst fate now may be to become a cynic, but that surely beats prison sentences and thoughts of damnation. Cliff will stumble, maybe find the right girl eventually, maybe not; maybe find self-awareness, maybe not. In the grand scheme of things it makes no difference one way or the other.

Last edited:

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) dir. Woody Allen

The film follows two very different men, with two different problems in their love lives. Judah (Martin Landau), is a big shot ophthalmologist, with a wife and adult children. He also has a long standing affair with Dolores, a flight attendant. Dolores is growing impatient with the promises that she believes Judah has given her, so she sends a letter to his wife explaining their affair. By mere chance Judah intercepts the letter before his wife can read it. He seeks advice from his gangster brother, who makes arrangements for Dolores. Judah is guilt stricken, but tries to keep up his facade and work through it. Cliff (Woody Allen) is a small time documentary filmmaker in a loveless marriage. He's working on yet another dead-end project, this time about a renowned philosopher. But he gets offered a job as director-for-hire to shoot a documentary about his brother in law Lester, who is a television producer, and fancies himself the best thing since sliced cheese. Cliff heavily dislikes Lester, and edits the film in a mocking fashion, which ultimately gets him fired. Meanwhile he's been courting the films associate producer Halley, but he worries that Lester will swoop in instead.

Crimes and Misdemeanors is a mix between Crime and Punishment and a "classic" Woody Allen movie, where he casts himself as an awkward pityful guy trying to get a girl. Only this time Judah eventually comes out on the other side of his his grief with no ill effects and repurcusions. He might arguably have come out the other side of the event a happier man, unlike the main character in Crime and Punishment. If you are a Woody Allen fan, you probably love this. I am not a big fan of Woody Allen. I like some of his movies, but I don't really have an inclination to go back and watch any of them. I like Crimes and Misdemeanors too, but I don't think I'll watch it again. Allen's commentary and excentricities can be fun, but hardly leave a lasting impression on me. I don't have a particular relationship with New York either, which Allen definitely do. The best thing about Crimes and Misdemeanors was that I loved to hate Alan Alda's character, and I really loved hating him. But when that's the highlight of the film, it also means I didn't really engage with the main plot very much.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Crowd
Vidor (1928)
“Why remake The Crowd? It’s already been done.”

Jean-Luc Godard reportedly said this once when asked why he doesn’t make films about regular people. I assume it’s a compliment, as in “King Vidor did it best, why would I try it?” And that seems like it's the interpretation. Though Godard being Godard, there's a small part of me that supposes it could also be a dig, as in “This is beneath me.” But let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Among the first social dramas and an inspiration to many who’d tread this ground later across the globe (The final third or so really made me think of Bicycle Thieves). We start on July 4, 1900 with the birth of a child, John Sims. By 21 he’s in New York grinding away as just another workaday Joe. He meets Mary on a a double date. They hit it off so well he’s proposing at the end of the date. Life moves fast in the big city. The friends are skeptical. They’re right to be. John proves to be argumentative, a drunk and unfaithful. He’s a talker, but not much of a doer. More time passes, the marriage remains rocky. The arrival of a child is a brief respite. More time. Two kids now. Things are looking up at work, but unbelievable tragedy strikes when one of the children is killed. He spirals worse. He loses his job. Gets jobs, loses jobs, etc. At the verge of suicide, the only thing that saves him is his son’s love. He takes a job as a sandwich board carrier (a profession he mocked earlier in the movie). One last chance for reconciliation … Mary’s leaving but at the last second, she just can’t quit John. She returns. Laughter. Fade out.

I, for one, think Mary really deserves better. I hope they figured it out, but sheeesh she put up with a lot. Interesting that she is much more of “the rock” on the couple while John is the more emotional. I have some sympathy for John. You feel the pressures. Those pressures are universal and relevant probably now and forever. The bustling, impersonal big city backdrop only magnifies the loneliness. (Vidor’s got a few, big wonderful sets to make these feelings visual). The theme of the city (“the crowd”) chewing up and spitting out people will never go old.

As with a lot of silent film, the faces do so much work. A wonderful cast here on that front.

Vidor’s filmmaking is pretty stunning, especially for the time. There’s a shot across a vast office floor where the camera pushes over all the desk that I know I’ve seen quoted several times before. Just one of many lively movements and clever edits that make the movie feel way more modern than the 1928 release date would indicate.

One unwelcome modern touch was the weird almost 1980s synth score that was attached to the version I watched. Not sure if any of y’all fared better on that front. Hope you did.

Reactions: kihei and Pink Mist

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The Crowd (dir. King Vidor, 1928)

King Vidor’s The Crowd is a profound and groundbreaking exploration of the human condition, capturing the trials and tribulations of ordinary life with an emotional depth that remains striking nearly a century later. Released in 1928, this silent film is a landmark achievement, both for its innovative cinematic techniques and its unflinching portrayal of the everyday struggles faced by the common man.

The film follows John Sims (James Murray), an idealistic young man who moves to New York City with dreams of success, only to find himself crushed by the overwhelming pressures of life in the modern metropolis. As he navigates the challenges of marriage, fatherhood, and financial hardship, John’s journey becomes a poignant reflection on the aspirations and disillusionments that define the human experience.

Vidor’s direction is masterful, using a mix of striking compositions, dynamic camera movements, and location shooting to create a vivid sense of the bustling city and the insignificance of the individual within it. The iconic shot of the endless rows of desks in the office where John works, stretching out like an assembly line of human souls, is a powerful visual metaphor for the dehumanizing effects of urban life. Vidor’s ability to convey complex emotions and themes through imagery alone is a testament to his visionary approach to filmmaking.

James Murray’s performance as John Sims is deeply affecting, capturing the character’s journey from hopeful ambition to crushing despair with subtlety and authenticity. Eleanor Boardman, as Mary, John’s loving but frustrated wife, provides a perfect counterbalance, grounding the film’s emotional core with her sensitive portrayal.

The Crowd is a remarkable achievement in silent cinema, offering a timeless meditation on the struggle for meaning in an indifferent world. Its innovative visual storytelling and deeply human themes make it a must-see for anyone interested in the power of film to reflect the complexities of life itself.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
The Crowd (1928) dir. King Vidor

John Sims is born on the 4th of July 1900 to a father who is convinced he'll grow up to be something great. John losses his father at age 12, and at age 21 he goes to New York City, certain he'll make something of himself. He gets a job at an insurance company, and also finds a wife, Mary. But from there things aren't as easy. Mary's family is quite protective of her, and John doesn't get along with them. And his career isn't advancing as he had imagined, to frustration for Mary. When their youngest child is killed by a car, John falls into a deep depression. He can't hold onto his job, and he struggles to find a new one that he can hold down.

Made on the cusp of sound film taking over Hollywood, The Crowd is one of the last visually stunning films to be made in Hollywood for quite a few years. There's some very beautiful camerawork in this film. The whole section of John Sims coming to New York. The bustling of the city plays out in front of us, with people filling up all over going left, right and center, on top of each other. The miniatures of the big skyscrapers really feels like a big city. And they have this really imposing quality to them, that makes you feel very little and insignificant. It isn't quite as impressive as something like Metropolis, but it's not trying to be Metropolis, it's trying to be something else. It's trying to be the overwhelming, fast paced, dog eat dog modern big city, and it achieves that perfectly. Visually it's one of the best silent films I've seen from Hollywood.

Made before The Great Depression, The Crowd seems in retrospect like an omen. John's struggle to find a job greatly mirrors the situation of much of America just a few short years after The Crowd was made. The movie greatly touches upon how hard it is to be at the bottom of this hyper capitalistic corporate world that John is trying to get to the top of. He might not be a bad worker, he might even be a good one. But that doesn't mean that promotions and raises easily come his way. Others like his colleague Bert advance. From Mary's perspective he's not more worthy than John, but perhaps Bert is better at making friends with the right people. This world is also ready to spit John out the moment he's not deemed worthy any more, with nothing to catch him. In the end John and Mary perhaps realise that there's more happiness being part of The Crowd, instead of trying to break out of it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
MV5BOWEwODE0MzQtNzA1Mi00ZTViLWFjYWUtOGI3OGE5MmQ4M2RiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2ODMzMDU@._V1_.jpg

The Crowd (1928) Directed by King Vidor

I had mixed feelings about The Crowd. Visually, it is fascinating. King Vidor always was good with images, but he also seems very aware of the work of other directors of his time and of the many art movements swirling around in this period. Yet, The Crowd never seems derivative--influences abound, but the images and sequences never quite feel like they could be conceived by anybody else. So that is a big plus for the film.

It is an ambitious story with John standing in for an Everyman figure for whom on one level life feels full of promise, though in reality most of that is an illusion or maybe an enthusiastic self-delusion. Clearly John isn't the golden boy that his father wished him to be, more like a neer-do-well who is always just this close to catching a break but never quite grabs it. If anything, I found the story a little too ambitious. As things progressed, I felt less and less sympathy for the maddeningly clueless John and more and more sympathy for his long-suffering wife. How much failure is she going to put up with? She does threaten to leave him eventually, but she doesn't. Oh, the gender politics of the time and the powerlessness of women in this period--and the waste involved. It's like a J. D. Vance wet dream.

Then there is the curious message. Go it alone at your own peril; better to stay within the safety of the crowd. That's interesting in a lot of ways. But John just seems to bounce from humiliation to humiliation--he doesn't actually seem like much of an individualist or a risk taker. So he is kind of an odd character to build this message around--too weak, too needy to carry the weight of an Everyman figure. He could fit right in with the characters in A Death of a Salesman where success is out there but it is always a tomorrow away. Plus, it's a funny message because it is not clear how the crowd would have helped John or how being part of the crowd would have made his personal issues go away. Even odder, though maybe I missed something, Vidor never ties the notion of the crowd to the notion of collective action--especially strange as the Communist movement must have been thriving in this period. So what's the point? It seems more like The Crowd is an ode to conformity than to any kind of meaningful change. For me, whatever the hell Vidor is trying to say socially, I don't really get the message. I'm just left with the feeling that John remains a pathetic figure who doesn't deserve his wife--not a particularly good example of anything.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
mediumcool_current_medium.jpg

Medium Cool (1969) Directed by Haskell Wexler

There is a story here. John (Robert Forster), a freelance photojournalist, travels from one US hotspot to another, documenting with his handheld camera various kinds of political and social carnage. It is not until he arrives in Chicago for the Democratic Convention of 1968, the one that was called "a police riot" later by the Illinois legislature, that we begin to find out more about him. He develops a relationship with Eileen (Verna Bloom), a widow from Appalachia, and her 13-year-old son and he finally allows himself to get emotionally involved in something when she tells him her son has gone missing on the most violent day of the convention. Later, still looking for the boy, they die in a car accident.

I mean, that's roughly what happens. But what makes Medium Cool interesting is its form. One could call the movie an early conception of a hybrid film, one that mixes reality with fiction. Or as critic Roger Ebert put it "fictional characters are in real scenes and real characters are in fictional scenes." The development of the plot seems almost random as the photographer's story is mixed with scenes of photojournalists discussing the dangers of their trade; Chicago cops in training for when the hippies arrive; live beatings during the actual convention; scenes that take place virtually on the convention floor; and Mayor Daley at the convention acting like the thug he was. We are given not a straightforward account of the story, but a series of scenes that we build our impressions upon. In other words, the audience is expected to do a lot of work in this film coming to their own conclusions about what is going on and the gravity of the situation. It is like each scene adds a slightly different colour to the palette, certainly not always in any kind of straightforward, linear fashion--but it all changes the story in sometimes unexpected ways.

Sometimes Medium Cool can be maddening as when the car accident occurs out of the blue at the end, seeming so very arbitrary. But the scenes of Bloom wandering through the police lines at the height of the violence took my breath away the first time I saw the movie. She could have been arrested or maimed or worse. Yet these sequences become both part of her personal story and the story of the real convention. The movie blurs the lines between reality and fiction. A family in crisis mirrors a country in crisis in a confusing time that may have marked the end of the myth that all Americans are in it together. Medium Cool captures the zeitgeist of its moment like no other film that I have ever seen

Even more surprising is the fact that Medium Cool was not relegated to small art theatres but was part of a major release in big theatres. It speaks volumes for the sophistication of the general audience in this period, an audience that had been weened on French New Wave, Godard experimentalism, Bunuel's surrealism, Truffaut's shorthand, and Pontecorvo's near documentary realism. Tackling a movie such as Medium Cool was seen by most young movie goers as a challenge, not a chore, a work by a great cinematographer turned first-time director that stretched the possibilities of cinema itself. The sad thing is I can't imagine a similar work finding even a hint of an audience today outside of the major festivals. Medium Cool (the title taken from Marshall McLuhan's description of television--"cool" meaning it necessitated more audience involvement than "hot" media do) is the absolute polar opposite of a Marvel comics movie. If you are not willing to participate in the construction of its meaning, it will leave you not just cool, but stone cold. At the time, it seemed like the movie was part of the reality that was going on in the streets. To me its innovation and its power are still startling today.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad