Music: The Official Hip-Hop Thread: The Next One

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I never particularly cared for his shtick personally. Not sure if I'd call it corny but it definitely rang hollow to me and left me either indifferent or I thought it was outright bad. And he tends to rap over pretty terrible beats generally, which makes his albums lackluster. I do think he has a voice of his own so there's that, it's just not one that does anything for me.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He’s 51 years old just keeps setting records. Easily top 5 hip hop artist of all time.
What records is he setting? And why do they make him easily top 5 all-time when he hasn't put out anything good in 15 years?

Fwiw, I'm a pretty big fan of him and think he might top 5 or close to it. Just confused about the record's part.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I never particularly cared for his shtick personally. Not sure if I'd call it corny but it definitely rang hollow to me and left me either indifferent or I thought it was outright bad. And he tends to rap over pretty terrible beats generally, which makes his albums lackluster. I do think he has a voice of his own so there's that, it's just not one that does anything for me.
For me Eminem is a guy who read and studied every book on how to rap. Technically he is great, but he lacks flavour. I don't put him on the same levels of any of the greats. Record sales doesn't equal greatness. He got street cred because he was endorsed by Dr. Dre so he shot to the front of the line over night. He had the machine backing him and every white kid in America wanting to be him. Economically it was a slam dunk for everyone involved.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I can't believe Not Like Us is trending as much as it is still. Drake should go into hiding for a while. I'm not even a huge fan of the song. I thought the diss where Kenny was writing notes to Drake's family was the best diss of the beef.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
For me Eminem is a guy who read and studied every book on how to rap. Technically he is great, but he lacks flavour. I don't put him on the same levels of any of the greats. Record sales doesn't equal greatness. He got street cred because he was endorsed by Dr. Dre so he shot to the front of the line over night. He had the machine backing him and every white kid in America wanting to be him. Economically it was a slam dunk for everyone involved.
I'd say his current stuff lacks flavor, but during his prime- his delivery was top notch. In my mind, the biggest issue is longevity. He's just been in the game too long. We've heard him rap over 100s of beats. It's going to get old over time + his hunger just isn't the same (that's where the lack of flavor comes in).

Nas is the only other MC I can think of that is built of the same ilk; in that he drops a new album every couple of years spanning over decades. He's had his misses as well, but damn is he aging like wine. Most rappers have their 5–10-year peak, then drop music once in a blue moon.

As for whether or not he's one of the greats- everyone will have their opinion, but at the end of the day- he has a ton of respect among his peers. Kendrick has him top-5 ever, Cole has him borderline top-5, Rakim has him as one of the best ever, D Block has love for him, Method Man and Redman admire him, Chuck D f***s with him, Nas and Jay as well, etc...the list goes on and on crossing generations of rappers.

So, in my mind, regardless of what a few fans think, especially new generation fans who didn't experience his prime- he'll be viewed as one of the greats because he has the legacy + the game has a ton of respect for him. So, us internet heads can debate until we're blue in the face- it won't change the fact his legacy in the game will be that of ONE of the best to do it.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'd say his current stuff lacks flavor, but during his prime- his delivery was top notch. In my mind, the biggest issue is longevity. He's just been in the game too long. We've heard him rap over 100s of beats. It's going to get old over time + his hunger just isn't the same (that's where the lack of flavor comes in).

Nas is the only other MC I can think of that is built of the same ilk; in that he drops a new album every couple of years spanning over decades. He's had his misses as well, but damn is he aging like wine. Most rappers have their 5–10-year peak, then drop music once in a blue moon.

As for whether or not he's one of the greats- everyone will have their opinion, but at the end of the day- he has a ton of respect among his peers. Kendrick has him top-5 ever, Cole has him borderline top-5, Rakim has him as one of the best ever, D Block has love for him, Method Man and Redman admire him, Chuck D f***s with him, Nas and Jay as well, etc...the list goes on and on crossing generations of rappers.

So, in my mind, regardless of what a few fans think, especially new generation fans who didn't experience his prime- he'll be viewed as one of the greats because he has the legacy + the game has a ton of respect for him. So, us internet heads can debate until we're blue in the face- it won't change the fact his legacy in the game will be that of ONE of the best to do it.
When I say he lacks flavour I'm referring to his subject matter. He rhymes every word from a thesaurus effortlessly and he has some sick flows but what he says imo is not impactful like a Nas or Chuck D. I would rather listen to a Redman song than an Eminem song. Illmatic is regarded by most as the best rap album ever because it has so much "flavour" where as I don't think any of Eminem's albums even come close to be spoken in the same breath. There are many albums I would be a head of any Eminem album. It's hard to compare success when Eminem had the most access commercially, ever. Nas, Redman, Chuck D, Method Man, and Rakim never came close to cracking the top 40 heavy rotation at any point in their careers. Tupac was way more influential than Eminem and had all of the flavour in his music and did so "keeping it real". All of the rappers you listed respect him and why not, but it's not like he invited any of them on his albums though. He was under the Dre umbrella and made a lot of brothas money. The television show Atlanta had a great episode where this philosophy highlights it very well, "Born 2 Die".

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
When I say he lacks flavour I'm referring to his subject matter. He rhymes every word from a thesaurus effortlessly and he has some sick flows but what he says imo is not impactful like a Nas or Chuck D. I would rather listen to a Redman song than an Eminem song. Illmatic is regarded by most as the best rap album ever because it has so much "flavour" where as I don't think any of Eminem's albums even come close to be spoken in the same breath. There are many albums I would be a head of any Eminem album. It's hard to compare success when Eminem had the most access commercially, ever. Nas, Redman, Chuck D, Method Man, and Rakim never came close to cracking the top 40 heavy rotation at any point in their careers. Tupac was way more influential than Eminem and had all of the flavour in his music and did so "keeping it real". All of the rappers you listed respect him and why not, but it's not like he invited any of them on his albums though. He was under the Dre umbrella and made a lot of brothas money. The television show Atlanta had a great episode where this philosophy highlights it very well, "Born 2 Die".
The Marshall Mathers LP is a classic, imo. Of course, Illmatic may be the best album ever released, so it shouldn't be a shot at Em if he hasn't released an album on that level, but I believe the Marshall Mathers LP isn't that far off.

I just look at Em's catalog of songs and it rivals many of the greats catalog of songs, but music is subjective, so nothing wrong with disagreeing with me there.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
So Officer Ricky decided to play Not Like Us in Vancouver last night and after the show proceeded to get suckered and his crew\security got the wheels beat off them my a mob of fans. Unreal.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
So Officer Ricky decided to play Not Like Us in Vancouver last night and after the show proceeded to get suckered and his crew\security got the wheels beat off them my a mob of fans. Unreal.
I thought it was going to be worse. it was pretty much 4 vs 1 against the biggest guy that was with Ross and at the end he just stood up and walked away lol. A little to much hype on this one.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
This album is incredible - Crazy to say this.. But it's his best since Relapse for me

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Eminem had nothing going on for him at all when he started his career as rapper, what are you smoking? If anything Dr. Dre took a huge risk to sign him while he was a no name rapper with no future under him. The fact he was a white boy was (and he still kind of an handicap to get recognition and appraisal from the hip hop and rap aficionados even today). Dr. Dre even said when he first heard him he thought he was a great rapper and he never thought he could be a white guy. Eminem is everything you would want from a 'gangsta' rapper, very rough childhood, full of trauma from a very dangerous city, surrounded by crime with no money, doing freestyle battle to get some money on the side and writing about his personal life and trauma. He got street cred because he is coming from the street not because of the machine behind him. I can understand people getting annoyed by his fanbase full of casual and not true knowledgeable about hip hop culture in general but he is clearly not the product of the machine backing him up quite the opposite, everybody in the mainstream have tried stopping him and cancel him for the longest time. Ironically, that helped him become even more famous. Once he became the well famous & established rapper that he is now people act like he was always accepted and promoted by the media. That's a huge lie. He was arguably the most controversial rapper because of the nature of his lyrics and the fact that he was a white guy made it even worse for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Eminem had nothing going on for him at all when he started his career as rapper, what are you smoking? If anything Dr. Dre took a huge risk to sign him while he was a no name rapper with no future under him. The fact he was a white boy was (and he still kind of an handicap to get recognition and appraisal from the hip hop and rap aficionados even today). Dr. Dre even said when he first heard him he thought he was a great rapper and he never thought he could be a white guy. Eminem is everything you would want from a 'gangsta' rapper, very rough childhood, full of trauma from a very dangerous city, surrounded by crime with no money, doing freestyle battle to get some money on the side and writing about his personal life and trauma. He got street cred because he is coming from the street not because of the machine behind him. I can understand people getting annoyed by his fanbase full of casual and not true knowledgeable about hip hop culture in general but he is clearly not the product of the machine backing him up quite the opposite, everybody in the mainstream have tried stopping him and cancel him for the longest time. Ironically, that helped him become even more famous. Once he became the well famous & established rapper that he is now people act like he was always accepted and promoted by the media. That's a huge lie. He was arguably the most controversial rapper because of the nature of his lyrics and the fact that he was a white guy made it even worse for them.
He only had his first single/album produced by Dre, Had the weight of Interscope backing him, oh yeah and went on his own world tour the month after his debut album was released. Then he immediately hopped on the Warped tour and while on tour he gets added to the Up In Smoke tour. 3 world tour's in just over a year. So you're right, he didn't have nothing going on when he started his career. lol

If Eminem was black he would be just another rapper. White people support their own. That's what made him a megastar, not his street cred. Dr. Dre made a strategic step in investing into a kid who would garner mass appeal globally. It was his backing that gave him legitimacy not the "streets". I never in my life will understand the phrase "everything you want from a gangster rapper" like this is a positive attribute. Eminem a gangster rapper? That's a first. lol The reason as you put it the "rap aficionados" don't give him the recognition you think he deserves is because they understand the process too. The very same reason the Jerry Springer show was a global success is the same reason Eminem was, shock and awe. Eminem couldn't build a career off the corniness of Slim Shady so he had to reinvent himself many times to keep his appeal fresh. That's called marketing 101. It's why a group like N.W.A. had a shelf life because you can't go anywhere from gangster and a group like Outkast sounds very different each album. The rap Olympics where Eminem got noticed and lost to an underground rapper named Otherwise, what happened to him? Why didn't he get signed? Nothing to market because he's just another black rapper(Very dope MC though). Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre rode this one all the way to the bank. Eminem is the perfect example of how big an artist can get when they have a machine backing Them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm reading great things about Em's new album. Cant wait to listen to it later this weekend. If he can have a run like Nas has had- it'd be awesome for the game. King Disease 2 was an amazing album from Nas. Em hasn't dropped one like that since his peak. Maybe this one is it? A man can dream!

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'm reading great things about Em's new album. Cant wait to listen to it later this weekend. If he can have a run like Nas has had- it'd be awesome for the game. King Disease 2 was an amazing album from Nas. Em hasn't dropped one like that since his peak. Maybe this one is it? A man can dream!
It is nowhere near Nas' current level but it is a good listen.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It is nowhere near Nas' current level but it is a good listen.
I'm really feeling it so far. Only have a few songs left, but it may be on the same level as Kings Disease 2 depending on replay value. There are very few songs I can go back to since Relapse. This album seems to have quite a few that slap for me. Fuel may cause me to throw out my neck. My lord did JID come with that fire, then Em brought it to another level.

Time will tell, but this may be his best album since his peak. After this one, I'm psyched to check out Common's new album. I tried to get into Lupe's new album. I respect his skill and lyrical prowess, but something about it just doesn't do it for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad