The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I was looking at the 5 one plus and unfortunately I’m on Verizon.

I was thinking about the S7 too but with the S8 and + Out isn’t that like working backwards?

Of course if you have the budget or find a good deal for it get the S8 or S8+ over the S7 that's a no brainer

What i was saying is that for 400-600 you may find the S7 for even less than that and it's still going to beat many mid range 2017 phones in that price range. Its a very solid option imho , especially if you want a small form factor phone (most flagships there days are 5.5 inch +). But again if you have the money get the S8. I have on and it's great :). Jumped from an S6 to an S8

violab

Nov 28, 2017
Very tempted to get the Pixel 2 at Christmas but always have reservations about spending a lot on a phone.

Samsung Note 8 is also tempted but, again, expensive. S8 is in a better price band.

I went from 2 Note 7's to the Pixel, a note 4 before. I loved how fast the Pixel was. But in the past few months - I found myself frustrated over apps & features I could not do....

Of course, I now have a Note 8. If the Pixel 2 XL had pen support (or the iPhone since I have an iPad pro), I would probably jump ship quickly. I have until Friday to decide.... LOL that is when my 2 weeks are up on my Note 8.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I purchased the Pixel 2 again, after canceling it originally, and after a few days with it I'm very pleased. It's quicker than the Nexus 5X I had been using, feels well made, and looks great. I'm a big fan so far.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I got the Google Pixel 2 this week. I finally have it all set up with the music transferred over and Android Auto ready to go. Is it just me, or is AA a little more complicated than Apple Car Play. Maybe it takes some time to get used to. Still, I'm loving this phone.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Never used apple, but android auto is super simple imo. I love it and always have it on in the car.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I think PowerAMP is worth owning. It's what I use.

I bought the pro version of poweramp and it's great. It automatically download albums arts plus the widgets are awesome. Lots of various custimizations options too , good equalizers , lots of formats supported etc

Best mp3 player i used by far. Free is good but Pro is much better. Totally worth the money imho and it's pretty cheap so.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So Ive started getting full page pop-up ads the last week or so in just about any situation (my broswer, Twitter, media player, whatever). Apparently its caused by the android software/google itself?

Anyone know what im talking about and what I can do to kill it?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So Ive started getting full page pop-up ads the last week or so in just about any situation (my broswer, Twitter, media player, whatever). Apparently its caused by the android software/google itself?

I get them quite a bit browsing the boards I've been looking for some kind of mobile pop up blocker myself

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

So i figured this out. It was either the Netflix app or the Cineplex app. I deleted both of them and the ads are gone. It was also doing this super annoying thing where it would pause playback in my media players. I think what was happening was an ad with audio would fail to load properly, but it would be enough to stop the playback of the media players.

Anyways, gone now.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Just played around with a Huawei P10 at work and it was quite nice. I was a little surprised by it!

I don't really like the Huawei Android theme that they seem to be using, but that could easily be changed if I wanted to. I was impressed by the build quality of it, though.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
19 months from purchase, my LG Nexus 5x fell to the infamous boot loop. Probably staying with Google Fi - any experiences with the MotoX4?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
On my Mom's S5 it's showing that she has a new voicemail on the lock screen, however when calling the voicemail it says there are none. So does anyone know how that can be cleared?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
19 months from purchase, my LG Nexus 5x fell to the infamous boot loop. Probably staying with Google Fi - any experiences with the MotoX4?

I just had my second 5x do that, which is a bummer because I just upgraded to the Pixel 2 and was giving my 5x to the wife.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So I was looking to get a Razer Phone because the 120Hz interested me along with getting a vanilla android (I hate ads and I hate bloatwear) but I am leaning towards getting a Note 8 now. Simply because I think I would actually use the stylus and theres lots of cool features the Note 8 has that no other android does.

One thing that I keep looking up and hearing about is Bixby. I know I will hate that. I think I may look into making Cortana the default assistant. When I had a Windows Phone I loved Cortana. She interacted with my car real well also.

I have been an Apple dude for the past 3 years but I started looking around at all these lightning cables I have, watch charger... and now I have to buy a $50 dongle if I want fast charging and just realizing how much $ I have spent just to be an Apple person. Also I am really bored with iOS and want something more fresh and customizable.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So I was looking to get a Razer Phone because the 120Hz interested me along with getting a vanilla android (I hate ads and I hate bloatwear) but I am leaning towards getting a Note 8 now. Simply because I think I would actually use the stylus and theres lots of cool features the Note 8 has that no other android does.

One thing that I keep looking up and hearing about is Bixby. I know I will hate that. I think I may look into making Cortana the default assistant. When I had a Windows Phone I loved Cortana. She interacted with my car real well also.

I have been an Apple dude for the past 3 years but I started looking around at all these lightning cables I have, watch charger... and now I have to buy a $50 dongle if I want fast charging and just realizing how much $ I have spent just to be an Apple person. Also I am really bored with iOS and want something more fresh and customizable.
I love my note 8. I was disappointed I missed out on the razer phone, but wireless charging is a big deal for me, because every phone I've had over the last few years stops charging unless you hold it just right because it destroys the cable or charging port trying to use the phone while charging. I bought the docking kit for it as well and love it.

Speakers could be a little better, but as a whole this has been my favorite phone.

Oh and you wont need cortana, Google assistant is the best in the game. I'm just waiting until they allow you to map the Bixby button with Google. Bixby is worthless.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I love my note 8. I was disappointed I missed out on the razer phone, but wireless charging is a big deal for me, because every phone I've had over the last few years stops charging unless you hold it just right because it destroys the cable or charging port trying to use the phone while charging. I bought the docking kit for it as well and love it.

Speakers could be a little better, but as a whole this has been my favorite phone.

Oh and you wont need cortana, Google assistant is the best in the game. I'm just waiting until they allow you to map the Bixby button with Google. Bixby is worthless.
Well I got the Note 8 haha. Havent used Android in years so this is kind of overwhelming right now. I will definitely have to give google assistant a try

That's troublesome about the charging cables!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well I got the Note 8 haha. Havent used Android in years so this is kind of overwhelming right now. I will definitely have to give google assistant a try

That's troublesome about the charging cables!
I use my phone when it's charging a lot and they always seem to develop a problem where they won't charge unless you hold them just right. However that was with the micro cables the note 8 uses the type c cable. But even still, for my overnight charging just putting my phone on the dock before I fall asleep guarantees it'll be completely charged before I sleep. It's worth it to me.

And Google is waaaaaaaaaaay better than Siri.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I use my phone when it's charging a lot and they always seem to develop a problem where they won't charge unless you hold them just right. However that was with the micro cables the note 8 uses the type c cable. But even still, for my overnight charging just putting my phone on the dock before I fall asleep guarantees it'll be completely charged before I sleep. It's worth it to me.

And Google is waaaaaaaaaaay better than Siri.
Well I have an old wireless charging pad made by Nokia from when I had my Windows Phone and it works great so I am using that. It worked with my iPhone 8 too. So far so good except I keep getting a notification to turn on wifi calling. Its VERY annoying. I have yet to find a way to get rid of it. I mean I can clear it but it shows up like 15 minutes later and I dont want to turn on wifi calling, the TOS is ridiculous. I have gone to notifications and advanced then system apps and scrubbed through that with a fine tooth comb but to no avail. Any ideas?

EDIT: I think I found the right thing to disable to make it stop notifying me :)

Oh and I tried google assistant and its good but I really do miss Cortana from my WP days so she has taken over :D

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Another issue I have run into... I have "advanced messaging" on but when I send a gif that's lets say 10 second long with about 30 or so frames it sends it but it will be like 3 frames, uber choppy and last like .5 seconds. What gives? Any way to up the limit of data I can send over MMS? Like I said "advanced messaging" is on.

EDIT: So the last gif I sent was 14mb (advance message says it has to be on to send messages over 1mb) but when it sends its only 438k.

EDIT #2: Switched to Googles Android Messages instead of the default Samsung one. Seems to be working as I need.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So I got my Note 8 all Microsoft'd out. Cortana is my assistant, Edge is my default browser, Swiftkey is my keyboard and I replaced TouchWiz with Microsoft Launcher. WAYYYY better than the junk Samsung uses for default. MS actually makes some great stuff for Android. I'm diggin' it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad