Post-Game Talk: The offensive black hole gets bigger

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I get Smith had a good game, but that type of play at the end should never happen, even at the AHL level. He had several moments like that against Chicago in 2013, too, and the belief was that he was still young and would eventually correct those mistakes. They're still happening.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I get Smith had a good game, but that type of play at the end should never happen, even at the AHL level. He had several moments like that against Chicago in 2013, too, and the belief was that he was still young and would eventually correct those mistakes. They're still happening.
Yeah those type of plays is also why no one should look at advanced stats and conclude that Smith is our best d-man or anything like that. We got extremely lucky to not lose in regulation because of that play. And I would say it likely cost us 1 point anyway, because if the OT was 3-on-3 instead of 4-on-4 we'd have a better chance of winning.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Against Montreal late last season. Smith smacks at the puck with his glove from the bench, they tie the game, then win in overtime.

Same game that Dats had a sick backhand goal called off because of "GTI" IIRC

31-datsyuk-backhander-vs-canadiens.gif

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Bash really needs to get Nyquist off the top line and Helm off the second line. Those two have just been square pegs in round holes lately.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Yeah, demote Gus back to the third line because he did nothing on the first one. And then start complaining again about him not really having an impact at all. Sometimes I wonder if those people even watch the same game.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah, demote Gus back to the third line because he did nothing on the first one. And then start complaining again about him not really having an impact at all. Sometimes I wonder if those people even watch the same game.

Demote him because he shows almost negative chemistry with Zetterberg and Abby. Put him back with Tatar. Z and Abby had perfect chemistry with Larkin.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Same game that Dats had a sick backhand goal called off because of "GTI" IIRC

They were different games. That Datsyuk non-goal was early in the season during Pav's first game of the season and the Smith penalty was the 2nd from last game of the season. That play in part led to Smith getting benched for Marchenko to begin the playoffs.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
You seem to have a weird definition of "negative chemistry". Negative chemistry just like last year?
Not to mention that both Z and Abby had several great chances that were set up by Gus lately but weren't concerted -
which isn't sth. new in regard to our dangerous offense. He isn't setting the world on fire right now, but he isn't that bad either.

Gus + Tats didn't work out so far, guess that was evident enough. And to my knowledge Larkin wasn't so bad together with 15 and 17.

What's the point in making the first line stronger again, while weakening the (second or) third?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You seem to have a weird definition of "negative chemistry". Negative chemistry just like last year?
Not to mention that both Z and Abby had several great chances that were set up by Gus lately but weren't concerted -
which isn't sth. new in regard to our dangerous offense. He isn't setting the world on fire right now, but he isn't that bad either.

Gus + Tats didn't work out so far, guess that was evident enough. And to my knowledge Larkin wasn't so bad together with 15 and 17.

What's the point in making the first line stronger again, while weakening the (second or) third?

The line makes a lot of sense on paper, but it's simply not producing right now.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
It doesn't. But did we produce much before that? More of a problem of most forwards being snakebiten all over again.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
This may be one of the biggest paper tiger rosters in Detroit Red Wings history. Things look so promising on paper. But we're basically Dylan Larkin, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, DeKeyser and Mrazek. And Datsyuk/Z are fading fast.

Doesn't take terribly long to forget 5-1 road trips anymore, does it?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
They were different games. That Datsyuk non-goal was early in the season during Pav's first game of the season and the Smith penalty was the 2nd from last game of the season. That play in part led to Smith getting benched for Marchenko to begin the playoffs.

:handclap: :thumbu:

Thanks for the clarification!

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What are you talking about? I've searched the entire internet and as far as I can tell we are 0-1 (that's 0% wins) in our last infinity games.

In our last 10 games we've scored 3 or more goals, two times. It's a major issue. If Mrazek slumps, this team is in big trouble.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
In our last 10 games we've scored 3 or more goals, two times. It's a major issue. If Mrazek slumps, this team is in big trouble.

... and if the offense picks up, the Wings will get really dangerous.

Or do we just play this game by pointing out that the only things we expect to happen are poor outcomes?

I don't disagree that the offense is an issue right now, and that it's been really inconsistent all year... but I also think the team has better offensive talent this year than they had last year, so it's a question of a) getting more comfortable and efficient within a new system or b) switching the system around somewhat to better use the talent.

Or even c) making a move or two at the deadline to goose the offense a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad