The NHL's 5 Most Untradable Contracts, according to the Hockey News

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And if she can't get one in Detroit or wherever? No reason for them to move while she's in the middle if he has an NTC to stop that move.
Are you serious in thinking that someone with her connections (husband is captain of one of the biggest pro hockey teams in the world) can't get a placement wherever she wants? Of course she can.

Trouba has a partial NTC at this point. Of course he's allowed to use it, but the issue is that his agent has essentially been telling teams not on the list he won't report if traded. No team that isn't on the list is trading for that, so in essence his slimy agent is using coercion to block a move.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Are you serious in thinking that someone with her connections (husband is captain of one of the biggest pro hockey teams in the world) can't get a placement wherever she wants? Of course she can.

Trouba has a partial NTC at this point. Of course he's allowed to use it, but the issue is that his agent has essentially been telling teams not on the list he won't report if traded. No team that isn't on the list is trading for that, so in essence his slimy agent is using coercion to block a move.

"My husband is a hockey player" isn't exactly "my husband is the president."

Honestly I'd probably be doing the same, why would Trouba not use every tool available to him when the GM would do the same to get rid of him regardless of how he feels about it.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Gallagher would be hard, the buyout cost a fortune:

$13 millions spread until 2030

The cash was backloaded it seem, $9 million in dollar to be paid this season, 6.5 next year, 4 millions the last one and he has a NMC.

Good luck moving him.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021

That is not how Residency works for physicians. They are extremely limited for Osteopaths and even more limited for Neurology and all of them are granted well in advance not something you just "transfer" to.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Actually team like Ducks, Flames and Sharks would probably gladly take him with the right amount sweetener. Referring to Tavares here and then flipping him at deadline for more.
I think even more likely would be one of those teams acting as a middle man and retaining half of his cap hit for something like a 2nd rounder. It's less than 500K in real money, Flames and Ducks each have over 20Mil in cap space. Tavares still has to waive and he probably isn't doing it for a basement team. At a 5.5M cap hit almost half the league could fit him in.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That is not how Residency works for physicians. They are extremely limited for Osteopaths and even more limited for Neurology and all of them are granted well in advance not something you just "transfer" to.
Oh yeah, I'm sure everyone that gets one and completes one can commit to living in one city for like 4 or 5 years. No one ever needs to move for some reason elsewhere to complete it. Very believable.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Just going from memory, CRA is stating the signing bonus isn't a true signing bonus because there are conditions in which it must be repaid. It would be huge for NHLPA members if the CRA is successful.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Oh yeah, I'm sure everyone that gets one and completes one can commit to living in one city for like 4 or 5 years. No one ever needs to move for some reason elsewhere to complete it. Very believable.
They are probably more rare than NHL head coaching jobs for that discipline and for being an DO. If you don't know the difference between an MD and a DO; or how competitive and highly sought different specialties are for Residency and Fellowships among physicians then you should sit this one out.

The best physician students get awarded their choice of residency to pursue their specialty of choice. If you don't make the cut you get 2nd choice, 3rd, etc. on down the line. She isn't just "a physician", she is pursuing a Neurosurgery specialty; which is one of the premium specialties. Sure, she could just give that up and be an ER physician or family doctor which are easy residencies to obtain; but it isn't a "slam dunk" and would be akin to Trouba just saying: "I'll go play for the Adirondack Thunder because it's still just being a hockey player". Over the course of 30+ years as a Neurosurgeon she will make comparable earnings to Trouba does in his hockey career so it's not like she is doing this for a $100k/year job; she can make $500k-$1,000,000+ if she wants.

Most physicians that achieve those residencies and fellowships do, in fact, dedicate 3-4 years at a specific university/teaching hospital and their family supports them during this time. Nearly every surgeon in the US has done this.

I have been in physician recruitment and healthcare management; I'm not an expert; but I'm not ignorant either.

Go look at how complex the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) is and how many physician students get left out entirely.

Last edited:

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I gotta think Johnny Gaudreau is in there too. Like Huberdeau, a long term lucrative contract was given as a result of a relatively short term and short sample size of performance. I do realize that that's what most teams generally do, but those seem to put the cart in front of the horse, instead of perhaps a bridge contract to see if their performance was a flash in the pan. I agree that Nurse never deserved that contract, but maybe it was to simply placate his buddy McDavid.

But even if you could take on Huberdeau if you have cap space, why would you want to? For a new/relocated team like Utah or a rebuilding team, wouldn't it be more advantageous to get cheaper assets with decent to high potential and hopefully turn out to be a bargain in the building/rebuilding process, rather than saddle the team with such a large contract, for known mediocre performance and once the team is competitive you are now at the cap and that Huberdeau contract is now weighing down your ability to make further moves to improve the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyScotty

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I’d trade Gallagher or Anderson for Tavares, no questions asked. Don’t think the Leafs would, making their contracts at least, more unmoveable than Tavares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad