The NHL's 5 Most Untradable Contracts, according to the Hockey News

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It would be scary to think how good edmonton would be without Nurse and his AAV. on the books.

Dude sucks
And that pairing was an embarrassement during Edmonton’s playoff run always getting caved in.
$24 million in back loaded SB’s makes the contract even that more of an anchor
All great teams end up with bad contracts eventually.

Drai and Hyman should be getting paid basically the difference between what Nurse should be earning and what he is, so it evens out.

At least Nurse is not Campbell bad

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Forgot Trouba.

His agent is unethical and his wife is apparently the most prestigious doctor in the world and only able to work in one hospital, so no way that dude is tradable. Will claim he’s not going to report too once you try to trade him.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I really don't see JT being able to go point per game again, he's too slow and ineffective. I think he will be lucky to get 60-70.
You make it sound like 60-70 points is a HUGE shortfall. He's due less than $1M cash, so it likely a relatively inexpensive contract to get a 3rd team to retain on in a deal.

The reason he might be an "untradeable" contract is he's the team captain, in his home town, with his family including 3 young kids, and has a NMC. And the ML's will likely try to resign him to a "bargain contract" for those same reasons next year.

Reactions: banks

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
NMC aside, There are multiple teams that could pull an "Arizona of a few years ago" and take the cap dump with sweetners like Calgary , Anaheim, Det, and SJ. The contract can absolutely be moved if toronto were to give up futures to move it
One of these teams is not like the others.

Detroit was a solid team last year. I am biased because I’m a wings fan but NO WAY in heck would we take on Tavares. Maybe if he was still 27 years old Tavares but not 34 year Johnny T.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I agree that they will be okay, largely because he will either be on LTIR or the Caps will end up rebuilding for the later years. But paying Wilson $6.5 mill to play around 40-50 games and put up 20-30 points is not great value imo.
id counter he does a lot more then the numbers on the back of his baseball card.

Like one of my fav Marley songs .. "time will tell .."

cheers

John Garretts KD

Aug 4, 2024
id counter he does a lot more then the numbers on the back of his baseball card.

Like one of my fav Marley songs .. "time will tell .."

cheers
I agree. At worst, I think the Caps get good value for the first 3-5 years and then he drops off (just based on how physical he plays + games missed from injury in recent seasons). He probably ends up on LTIR for the last few years, and the cap will rise so it won’t be a big deal.

Reactions: Neil Racki

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I really don't see JT being able to go point per game again, he's too slow and ineffective. I think he will be lucky to get 60-70.

His points at even strength went up, his PPP dropped, that is why his points dropped.

Nothing to do with skating.

Anyway, Huberdeau being #1 makes sense, that contract is bad for a long time.

Mar 26, 2010
Nurse is #1 here. 3rd pairing D man making almost $10M season. Edmonton likely buys him out.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If all were UFAs based on their remaining term.

I'd offer Nurse a 5 mill x6 deal (27 mill overpaid total)
I'd offer Jones a 7.5x6 year deal (12 mill overpaid total)
I'd offer Huberdeau a 5x7 year deal (38.5 mill overpaid total).
I'd offer Vlasic league minimum (12.45 mill overpaid total)
I'd offer Couturier a 6x6 deal (10.5 mill overpaid total)

Reactions: Rydgar

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Huberdeu is not number one and could be moved just Flames don't want to eat about 50% of his salary. Which is only way a contender probably be interested. Is he top five the answer probably is yes. Literally he could be traded to team who could afford him but most those teams probably would want younger. I think Nurse be harder to trade them probably Jones with Huberdeu at number 3. The only reason Tavares is not on the list is he on his last year of contract. If he had any term he probably be in top 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
One of these teams is not like the others.

Detroit was a solid team last year. I am biased because I’m a wings fan but NO WAY in heck would we take on Tavares. Maybe if he was still 27 years old Tavares but not 34 year Johnny T.
For sure...why would you take him with sweeteners. He only doubled the points your 2nd, 3rd and 4th centers scored, and would have been 4th on your team in scoring (17 points over 5th) but why would you take that bum. Much better to roll with 33 point centers.

Reactions: nofehr

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Huberdeu is not number one and could be moved just Flames don't want to eat about 50% of his salary. Which is only way a contender probably be interested. Is he top five the answer probably is yes. Literally he could be traded to team who could afford him but most those teams probably would want younger. I think Nurse be harder to trade them probably Jones with Huberdeu at number 3. The only reason Tavares is not on the list is he on his last year of contract. If he had any term he probably be in top 5.
With retention, I haven't seen a team retain that high a % for greater than 2 year, like Nash just did with Johansen to Colorado.

Kessel, Luongo, OEL, who were retained for like 5 years and longer, it was like 15% retention.

Burns, for 3 years was retained at 34% by SJ.

With 7 years left, or even 6 next summer, that's just simply something we have not seen a NHL team retain that much on.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I don't agree with Huberdeau being the #1 on that list. It's a tougher deal to move, sure, but above those others? No.

Vlastic is old and not that good anymore. Nurse NEVER deserved that albatross. Jones NEVER deserved that albatross. Couturier is getting older and has suffered injuries.

Huberdeau went from a top-notch situation with a top 5 center to...Calgary (no offense). He's not injured, he didn't magically forget how to play hockey, and his historic performance earned him the long deal. I think if another team with a good center takes the risk, they would see the reward. It's the team, not the player. Everyone else on the list, it's the player.

It would cost the Flames multiple 1st round picks to trade Jonathan Huberdeau.

He’s not going anywhere.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Forgot Trouba.

His agent is unethical and his wife is apparently the most prestigious doctor in the world and only able to work in one hospital, so no way that dude is tradable. Will claim he’s not going to report too once you try to trade him.

She's doing her residency, you can't really change in the middle...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad