The NHL has gotta stop the BS after clean hits

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I watched the entire video most of these hits were nothing, just a D-man playing the body. They'd have the exact same reaction today as they did then to these hits.
It's also clearly a video of hits in the playoff. This league is notorious for no fighting in the playoffs.

I was born in the 70's and have watched hockey my entire life. Fighting has always happened even after clean hits. You just notice it more now because of the lack of fighting in today's game.
I’m as old as you and no…fights didn’t always happen after clean hits. Sometimes they did..usually when it was a clean hit laid out by a non star to a superstar. But even then it wasn’t always a fight afterwards.

Back in the day what happened way more was a 4th liner coming out for the shift after his star teammate was hit (clean or dirty) and told the opposing bench that if they don’t smarten up their star is gonna get it.

That’s when the Gretzky and Lemieuxs would tell their teammates to smarten up lol

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Train the officials to handle these situations consistently. The instigator team is on the PK. Allow the players to fight after heavy clean hits still. Part of the game. But handle the penalties correctly.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
You are absolutel deluded if you think this. Players have been unloading after hits as far back as I can remember.

This entire thread is hilarious, when Kronwall played, the bulk consensus was "He should fight", now ya all want to whine the other way.
Guess what, if you don't want your player jumped, talk some sense into him not to try to throw hits at the opposing team. They will react and it won't be to throw you a bar mitzva.

Im deluded? You’re literally saying a player shouldn’t throw legal hits at his opponent.

You must not remember back that far.

It doesn’t change the fact that it hasn’t always been this way. when someone got Kronwalled yes players would sometime try to jump him. That’s why I said the last 10 to 15 years. But even then it’s gotten much worse the last 5 years. Now it’s practically for any hard hit.

Hitting is legal. Hockey is a tough sport. Take a number and get him back later. Jumping a guy for a legal play should be an automatic 2, 5 and 10 every time. And start the power play in the other teams defensive zone.

I’m a wings fan who has been watching hockey since the 80s fyi.

I watched the entire video most of these hits were nothing, just a D-man playing the body. They'd have the exact same reaction today as they did then to these hits.
It's also clearly a video of hits in the playoff. This league is notorious for no fighting in the playoffs.

I was born in the 70's and have watched hockey my entire life. Fighting has always happened even after clean hits. You just notice it more now because of the lack of fighting in today's game.

As devils fan you should know this is false. After scott Steven’s devastating hits, more often than not play carried on.

Reactions: v00d00daddy

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
People need to admit the truth to themselves on this. And that is that almost all fans LOVE these types of reactions when it’s their player taking the hit, but voice displeasure when it’s their guy who laid the hit and gets jumped.

This idea that the league “needs to stop this”. They penalize for it presently. What else do you suggest? If guys want to put their team on the PK, that’s their decision.

It’s probably the most overhyped “problem” I hear about.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I’m as old as you and no…fights didn’t always happen after clean hits. Sometimes they did..usually when it was a clean hit laid out by a non star to a superstar. But even then it wasn’t always a fight afterwards.

Back in the day what happened way more was a 4th liner coming out for the shift after his star teammate was hit (clean or dirty) and told the opposing bench that if they don’t smarten up their star is gonna get it.

That’s when the Gretzky and Lemieuxs would tell their teammates to smarten up lol
The important word you're using is always, I never said it always happened just that it did in fact happen. The people in this thread are saying it NEVER happened, players left it alone if it was clean and took a number if it wasn't.
This is absolutely untrue, it seems like it happens more now because almost every big hit is met with a fight, back then it happened just not after every big hit.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
People need to admit the truth to themselves on this. And that is that almost all fans LOVE these types of reactions when it’s their player taking the hit, but voice displeasure when it’s their guy who laid the hit and gets jumped.

This idea that the league “needs to stop this”. They penalize for it presently. What else do you suggest? If guys want to put their team on the PK, that’s their decision.

I think what many have a problem with is the grabbing/jumping someone from behind and starting to wail, instead of facing them first.

Reactions: v00d00daddy

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Agreed...I enjoy tough physical hockey...I get a good chuckle with these posts about how bad it looks for the game, et, etc...

From a players pov on the ice - things happen so fast - chances are he's thinking someone took a run at my teammate...I'd MUCH rather have a guy standing up for a fallen comrade rather than 4 guys looking at the ref with arms raised as an act of displeasure.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
As devils fan you should know this is false. After scott Steven’s devastating hits, more often than not play carried on.
Again, I'm not saying it happened after every big hit. I'm simply saying it did in fact happen. It seems like it happens more now because almost every big his is met with a fight.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Again, I'm not saying it happened after every big hit. I'm simply saying it did in fact happen. It seems like it happens more now because almost every big his is met with a fight.
It seems like it happens more now because it happens more now. Players jump a guy for throwing a clean hard hit.

If they fought after most big hits in the 80s and 90s the games would've come to a screeching halt because there was more hitting in general.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
People talk about the old code.

Let me tell you, this stuff happened well before the original lockout. The only difference now is that a scrum can start when pretty much anybody gets hit. Back then, it usually started if a key player got decked.

this is pretty topical for me because I just saw a video from the 1994 playoffs where Tim Hunter decked Doug Gilmour and things got so bad that the ref ended up sending both teams to the dressing while he sorted things out (he was bleeding too).

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It seems like it happens more now because it happens more now. Players jump a guy for throwing a clean hard hit.

If they fought after most big hits in the 80s and 90s the games would've come to a screeching halt because there was more hitting in general.
We're basically saying the same thing, I don't know maybe it happens more now but it happened then as well. It definitely seems like it happens more now but that could be because almost every hit results in a fight. Back then, some did but not even close to all of them.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009

Just an example of what I’m talkin about- Kurashev gets caught clean, gets up, and gets 2 free rabbit punches on Krebs, who already got jumped by Bertuzzi. It’s hockey, stop being wusses, hit happens. I’d argue for a 1 game sussy for any sissy who jumps a guy while play is ongoing. You wanna fight, square up, but this stuff is just stupid.

Whoa whoa, buddy cool it with the homophobic remarks, who are you a staal brother?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Doesn't 3rd man in only count if there's a fighting major involved? There was no fight here.

There was no major called. Bertuzzi's throwing punches, Krebs' gloves are off, they are engaged with one another. The officials decided to make some odd calls there for sure.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
I’m not sure what you mean.

Are you saying that if a player doesn’t wanna get jumped they shouldn’t hit dirty…or not hit at all?
The jumping is to send a message. We watched Kronwall hit regularly and shrug off the shenanigan's. Those scrums existed well before that.
Don't want to be involved? Don't line up opposing players.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think anything there was worthy of a fighting major, honestly.

Eh, Rule 46 and Rule 51 lay it out and the primary difference is that roughing is with gloves on. Refs have a lot of leeway in what they call yet the fighting rules are pretty clearly what is going on there. *shrug*

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Eh, Rule 46 and Rule 51 lay it out and the primary difference is that roughing is with gloves on. Refs have a lot of leeway in what they call yet the fighting rules are pretty clearly what is going on there. *shrug*
Maybe I'm just going with what I see. Bertuzzi didn't throw any punches.

Kastelic and Bortuzzo got roughings last game, both dropped their gloves and went to the ice.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
Im deluded? You’re literally saying a player shouldn’t throw legal hits at his opponent.

You must not remember back that far.

It doesn’t change the fact that it hasn’t always been this way. when someone got Kronwalled yes players would sometime try to jump him. That’s why I said the last 10 to 15 years. But even then it’s gotten much worse the last 5 years. Now it’s practically for any hard hit.

Hitting is legal. Hockey is a tough sport. Take a number and get him back later. Jumping a guy for a legal play should be an automatic 2, 5 and 10 every time. And start the power play in the other teams defensive zone.

I’m a wings fan who has been watching hockey since the 80s fyi.

I'm saying actions have consequences and it's pretty much always been that way.
Want to line players up? Expect someone is gonna try to clean your clock too. It's part of the game. It's why fighting is a 5 min penalty and not a game ejection/suspension.

This pansy ass view people have with thinking there shouldn't be consequences is a MAJOR problem in todays society, from online trolling to general disrespect everywhere.

While violence doesn't generally solve problems, it does get a point across rather quickly. So either your candy ass player can accept that he's gonna get roughed up for lining people up or he can learn that his actions have direct and sometimes very painful results.

I felt this way about Kronwall, he knew what was gonna happen post hit, he accepted it, it was his choice. He could have dropped the gloves, he could dodge fights, doesn't matter, he knew part of that hitting pattern was gonna be someone coming after him.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad