The Next Forsling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Tons of Canucks fans were unhappy with the Clendening/Forsling trade because of how solid Forsling's D+1 season was, where he was playing top 4 minutes on an SHL team - trading him at that point for a guy who couldn't stick in the NHL was an incredibly stupid move. Obviously the path to where he is now was rocky, but that's a solid foundation to start from and it's easier to get back to that level than it is to work your way towards it.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Why are so many first round picks being mentioned here.

This is about depth players under the radar having strong play in depth roles that could handle more

There is top 10 picks being mentioned in here

Reactions: timw33 and Laus723

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Who was Forsling before Forsling?

I can't really think of anyone that is that similar (low-level player that has immediate high-level impact that leads to a cup), which suggest it's unlikely there will be a 'next'.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'll see your Broberg and raise you one Ty Emberson. ;)

Ughh I used to like Broberg but now that he is a Blue, he's pure evil. I hope the paycheck gets to his head and he fails.

And good luck Emberson! Keep the flame alive! Cody Ceci #1 PP unit youre up lol.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I can't really think of anyone that is that similar (low-level player that has immediate high-level impact that leads to a cup), which suggest it's unlikely there will be a 'next'.

Cup winning circumstances are definitely fairly unique for Forsling, but plenty of guys have muddled along before really breaking out as important minute munching defensemen.

I don't remember Duncan Keith being that great in his first couple of years in Chicago before breaking out with the Toews and Kane teams, though he didn't switch teams. The Alec Martinez, Jake Muzzin two pack came out of nowhere in the Kings system to win them a cup in 2011 and 2013 separately. I think Muzzin started off in the Penguins system. Brian Dumoulin with the Penguins in the 2010s after coming over from Carolina. Other random guys off the top of my head, Jeff Petry and Mike Matheson went from being completely unremarkable to important guys on the Habs. No cup win there though.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Giordano was undrafted and then just another guy through his 20s. Kind of just went bananas in his early 30s.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Justin Barron, missed a lot of key development time due to injury so will take a bit of time to reach his potential, tools are mostly all there just needs to get the reps. Problem will be is his waiver status, similar to Forsling, he will need to put it together this season or could end up succeeding with a different team.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I would love for it to be Broberg.

But I could definitely see Perunovich going to a different team next season and having everything finally click.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Forsling wasnt just a guy who got waived, when to different teams and then became good. I believe he was a very solid SHL prospect for a while but then didnt progress/had trouble fitting into the NA game. Emberson, im not sure fits that bill. Lindstrom was never great in the SHL either.

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Cup winning circumstances are definitely fairly unique for Forsling, but plenty of guys have muddled along before really breaking out as important minute munching defensemen.

I don't remember Duncan Keith being that great in his first couple of years in Chicago before breaking out with the Toews and Kane teams, though he didn't switch teams. The Alec Martinez, Jake Muzzin two pack came out of nowhere in the Kings system to win them a cup in 2011 and 2013 separately. I think Muzzin started off in the Penguins system. Brian Dumoulin with the Penguins in the 2010s after coming over from Carolina. Other random guys off the top of my head, Jeff Petry and Mike Matheson went from being completely unremarkable to important guys on the Habs. No cup win there though.

Does Weegar fit into that category? He's slowly and steadily improved over time. Not bad for a 7th round pick at all.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Forsling is an anomaly. He was a quality depth guy for teams but he wasn’t seen as a long-term option, hence why he was waived and grabbed by Florida.

At the time we got him, we absolutely needed someone like Forsling for depth reasons. But him turning into a top-pairing defenseman by the end of his first year with us was totally unexpected.

And now, he’s clearly our best defenseman and a huge reason we went to two cup finals in a row, with a championship in the process. Absolutely unreal.

Basically for this to happen again, you need a young guy who is contending for a spot but ends up as the odd man out on multiple squads and the team needs to waive him or trade him for pennies because of roster compliance.

Jared McCann was a similar case not too long ago, albeit his peak didn’t quite reach the same height as Forsling’s imo.

I don’t have anyone currently on my mind as the next one. Someone like Noah Gregor….maybe? Who knows man lol

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad