OT: The Music Thread: Part IX

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I watched this on HBO last night. It was very good. So much I didnt know about him.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Some here may not go for pure pop of the cute kind, but I do,

Or dismiss a sublime singer and one of the best songwriters of the '80s because of the accoutrement of his public style, private life, and fragile ego. (Yes, in 1984 I too hated "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go," revulsed at its massive popularity in America, and feared the levy would break. Which, of course, it did.)

These last are forgivable, because to paraphrase the great songwriter Carole King speaking of the Beatles, the gentleman in question "was deserving. Absolutely deserving."

Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou was a fitful gift to the world of popular music,

With this instant torch classic, for the first time I thought, "Who is this guy?"

They still play this every Christmas, as they should. Lovely song, charming video,

That's it for the Wham! bit.

The solo years will follow, and I shall make good on the threat.

Toodles,

1719202325503.png
1719202360737.png

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I love the unique he plays.

That 1st one sent shivers down my spine the 1st time I heard it. MK can do no wrong in my book .

There's a certain , I can't think of an an appropriate name for him . I'll go with condescending asshole that Fenway is a big fan of , here in Montreal that I can only tolerate. MM , TSN 690. Pretty sure Fenway knows who I'm talking about. Who can't stop telling us about how Knophler was embarrassed by Stevie Ray.... when he opened up for him here in Montreal . Truth be told , I never heard a sound Stevie Ray made that I care to here again. He has all the chops and skills a guitarist could want , but to go on the way MM goes on about him is plain flat out ...BS. I'm not gonna say what I really think, It wouldn't be allowed.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Anyone who doubts George Michael's talent has never seen this:

If you blink, you will miss it, but at one point it cuts to a member of Rock n' Roll royalty who had to check in on this must see rehearsal.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That 1st one sent shivers down my spine the 1st time I heard it. MK can do no wrong in my book .

There's a certain , I can't think of an an appropriate name for him . I'll go with condescending asshole that Fenway is a big fan of , here in Montreal that I can only tolerate. MM , TSN 690. Pretty sure Fenway knows who I'm talking about. Who can't stop telling us about how Knophler was embarrassed by Stevie Ray.... when he opened up for him here in Montreal . Truth be told , I never heard a sound Stevie Ray made that I care to here again. He has all the chops and skills a guitarist could want , but to go on the way MM goes on about him is plain flat out ...BS. I'm not gonna say what I really think, It wouldn't be allowed.

A singular talent and technician. As with Lindsey Buckingham, no pick.

Some Things Few,

One of my very favorites,

Maestro,

~ Fin ~

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Part Two:

Runaway smash hit of 1987, Faith,

At the pinnacle, his first solo release.

Acoustic, retro "rockabilly."

Who was doing that at the top of the charts then, gambling his career on an idiosyncratic solo debut?

No one.

Best of the rest, pop classics all,

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad