OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Kris Kristofferson

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Below, nothing at all to do with the above.

Continue, dear reader, if you wish..

"Relapse" was released in 2008.

I was broke and returned home to Detroit to live with my mother, her second husband, and my eldest brother, Greg.

Then I had a house sitting gig in Southfield, Michigan. The sticks.

Detroit, of course, was a mess. As it had been for 50 years.

The Mayor, Kwame Klilpatrick, dressed and behaved like a pimp.

He later went to jail. Apparently, he is a minister now.

Fast forward - with so much in between I can't provide explanation, inventory or proper insight - and Motown is, against all odds, thriving.

I always wanted out.

To Boston; Massachusetts; New England.

This is my spiritual home.

But I respect and admire the Detroiters who stayed, made a stand, and built again.

Downtown is safe and all four sports clubs play in the city, in excellent venues.

No one is afraid to go into town.

I say all this, because any town with heart, Any Town USA, is recognizable to all.

Aren't you glad that you live in a place, wherever that may be, with soul, and heart?

Marshall used the once glorious, long since dilapidated Michigan Central train station as a backdrop to say, in 2008,

"However f***ed up things are, however much others devalue you, whatever your failings,

*You are beautiful.*

Today, there will soon be a Gordie Howe International Bridge between Detroit and Windsor.

The Central Station has been restored, refurbished and made glorious through an almost billion dollar investment from the Ford automotive company. Directly adjacent, an innovation lab and a thriving downtown.

Detroiters are a lot like Bostonians, and all Americans, in basic ways.

Pugnacious, resilient and willing to stand.

The best of us.

End sermon,

👉 🗽 💯

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Below, nothing at all to do with the above.

Continue, dear reader, if you wish..

"Relapse" was released in 2008.

I was broke and returned home to Detroit to live with my mother, her second husband, and my eldest brother, Greg.

Then I had a house sitting gig in Southfield, Michigan. The sticks.

Detroit, of course, was a mess. As it had been for 50 years.

The Mayor, Kwame Klilpatrick, dressed and behaved like a pimp.

He later went to jail. Apparently, he is a minister now.

Fast forward - with so much in between I can't provide explanation, inventory or proper insight - and Motown is, against all odds, thriving.

I always wanted out.

To Boston; Massachusetts; New England.

This is my spiritual home.

But I respect and admire the Detroiters who stayed, made a stand, and built again.

Downtown is safe and all four sports clubs play in the city, in excellent venues.

No one is afraid to go into town.

I say all this, because any town with heart, Any Town USA, is recognizable to all.

Aren't you glad that you live in a place, wherever that may be, with soul, and heart?

Marshall used the once glorious, long since dilapidated Michigan Central train station as a backdrop to say, in 2008,

"However f***ed up things are, however much others devalue you, whatever your failings,

*You are beautiful.*

Today, there will soon be a Gordie Howe International Bridge between Detroit and Windsor.

The Central Station has been restored, refurbished and made glorious through an almost billion dollar investment from the Ford automotive company. Directly adjacent, an innovation lab and a thriving downtown.

Detroiters are a lot like Bostonians, and all Americans, in basic ways.

Pugnacious, resilient and willing to stand.

The best of us.

End sermon,

👉 🗽 💯

I've been working in Detroit for the past 15 years. Its come a long way. Mike Duggan has done a great job as mayor, but Dan Gilbert, and the Ford/Illitch families are really the ones who saved that city. Its still got a LONG way to go, but they've stopped the rot and are starting to dig their way out. When was the last time you were back there?

BTW, Southfield isn't the sticks......

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $681.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 2