The most underrated defensemen in the NHL

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It's Heiskanen

He provides everything you want in an all situations #1D, he just doesn't get the same fanfare because he's playing at the same time as guys like Makar and Fox and older guys who are past their peak but still have name brand recognition like Karlsson and Hedman

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Fox is a top 2 defenseman in the league.

He's a top 5 defenseman every damn year. Being so much more consistent than everyone other than Makar (who probably has higher highs, yet also lower lows) should count for more than it does with most people.

Whether it's Hughes, Hedman, McAvoy, Heiskanen, these guys might occasionally have a better season than Fox, but he deserves more respect for being there every season when these players aren't.

I don't disagree with you on how good Fox is. I just feel like most people have a similar opinion or not far off to the point where saying he's the most underrated just isn't true though

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

He's a top 5 defenseman every damn year. Being so much more consistent than everyone other than Makar (who probably has higher highs, yet also lower lows) should count for more than it does with most people.

Whether it's Hughes, Hedman, McAvoy, Heiskanen, these guys might occasionally have a better season than Fox, but he deserves more respect for being there every season when these players aren't.
Top 2 is debatable for sure, but saying he's basically universally considered top 5 isn't some insult, nor is it underrating him. I personally don't have him top 2, more in the 3-5 range. Calling him underrated just seems wrong.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Top 2 is debatable for sure, but saying he's basically universally considered top 5 isn't some insult, nor is it underrating him. I personally don't have him top 2, more in the 3-5 range. Calling him underrated just seems wrong.
But you’re literally making my point. There are people like you who just default to he’s not top 2. He is. Look at yearly Norris finishes. Every single year he’s like top 5. Whoever are the other competitors for top 5 aside from Makar have plenty of years where they aren’t top 5. When you are so consistent and your competitors aren’t and you also do have years where you are literally the best, you are top 2.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

I feel like Roman Josi is passed over far too often when people make these lists of top defensemen. All of those guys are so close together that you can't just definitively say Fox is the second best. He's definitely up there but his exact rank is a matter of opinion.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Guhle, Schneider, Byram all deserve more love. For the super high end guys Heiskanen imo is the best dman in the league and would take him over Makar in a heartbeat

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like Roman Josi is passed over far too often when people make these lists of top defensemen. All of those guys are so close together that you can't just definitively say Fox is the second best. He's definitely up there but his exact rank is a matter of opinion.
Fox has finished top 5 in Norris voting every year of his career other than his rookie year. Josi has finished top 5 in the Norris 4 of 11 years other than his rookie year.

Yes, Fox is the better defenseman.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Fox has finished top 5 in Norris voting every year of his career other than his rookie year. Josi has finished top 5 in the Norris 4 of 11 years other than his rookie year.

Yes, Fox is the better defenseman.
Nobody is going to be convinced by a Rangers ranting about a Rangers player. Everyone knows Fox is a star, he has zero business being in this discussion. Sheesh

M.Anderson, Skjei, Fehervary are the best answers so far. The Norris candidate guys are already appreciated around the league for being excellent blueliners

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
But you’re literally making my point. There are people like you who just default to he’s not top 2. He is. Look at yearly Norris finishes. Every single year he’s like top 5. Whoever are the other competitors for top 5 aside from Makar have plenty of years where they aren’t top 5. When you are so consistent and your competitors aren’t and you also do have years where you are literally the best, you are top 2.
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you turn subjectivity into objective facts. :eyeroll:

So every year, he's top 5, but you think it's underrating and insulting to call him top 5? Come on dude. You're being a homer.

Makar is clearly ahead. I'd take Hughes ahead too. Hedman, Josi, and McAvoy are in the conversation too.

It helps to... Not be blindly obsessed with your favourite players, but you do you.

Again, I think he's hovering around top 3, definitely top 5.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot you turn subjectivity into objective facts. :eyeroll:

So every year, he's top 5, but you think it's underrating and insulting to call him top 5? Come on dude. You're being a homer.

Makar is clearly ahead. I'd take Hughes ahead too. Hedman, Josi, and MacAvoy are in the conversation too.

It helps to... Not be blindly obsessed with your favourite players, but you do you.

Again, I think he's hovering around top 3, definitely top 5.
The way you are framing this is dishonest. I never said its objective. There is no objective when it comes to opinions. I'm saying this should be a pretty widely agreed upon topic from a subjective standpoint.

The fact it's not proves my point. Guys who routinely are worse than Fox virtually every year until they hit their career year are rated higher than him because those of you who don't think he's top 2 take the evidence and belittle the worthiness of it. If we used the same evidence for Makar, you'd say it's a lot more valid. Fox is underrated for these types of reasons.

He's a clear top 2 defenseman, and the majority will only give him top 5. Not even everyone will. I think that's more underrated than being ranked 32nd best as a consensus and someone believes you're actually 19th best.

When you have to default to attacking me for supposed homerism as opposed to arguing the points, you know you've list.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The way you are framing this is dishonest. I never said its objective. There is no objective when it comes to opinions. I'm saying this should be a pretty widely agreed upon topic from a subjective standpoint.

The fact it's not proves my point. Guys who routinely are worse than Fox virtually every year until they hit their career year are rated higher than him because those of you who don't think he's top 2 take the evidence and belittle the worthiness of it. If we used the same evidence for Makar, you'd say it's a lot more valid. Fox is underrated for these types of reasons.

He's a clear top 2 defenseman, and the majority will only give him top 5. Not even everyone will. I think that's more underrated than being ranked 32nd best as a consensus and someone believes you're actually 19th best.
Then why do you get so pissy when people suggest he's top 5, but don't argue with 2 or 3?

You clearly don't understand the difference between subjective and objective, especially since your rationale for being "objective" #2 is that he's consistently ranked top 5. Give it a rest.

And even if we nitpick about those rankings, he doesn't belong in this discussion at all.

You have no leg to stand on. This isn't a "who am I obsessed with" thread.

You keep saying it's subjective, but try to argue he's objectively #2. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Again, you are... Being a homer and refuse to listen to anything else.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

When you have to default to attacking me for supposed homerism as opposed to arguing the points, you know you've list.

The Norris trophy isn't the end all be all when discussing best defensemen. Everyone knows it skews towards offense and players who are on top teams. But don't worry, I'll probably put him in my top 5.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Then why do you get so pissy when people suggest he's top 5, but don't argue with 2 or 3?

You clearly don't understand the difference between subjective and objective, especially since your rationale for being "objective" #2 is that he's consistently ranked top 5. Give it a rest.

And even if we nitpick about those rankings, he doesn't belong in this discussion at all.

You have no leg to stand on. This isn't a "who am I obsessed with" thread.

You keep saying it's subjective, but try to argue he's objectively #2. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Again, you are... Being a homer and refuse to listen to anything else.
I'm sorry, but your point makes no sense. I've tried re-reading it a few times and its unintelligible.

McDavid doesn't finish 1st in the Hart every year. Neither does Makar in the Norris. Bergeron in the Selke (when he played). The best or second best at a given time doesn't need to be who literally finished in what spot in the voting. No one actually thought Erik Karlsson was the best defenseman in the league and the guy they'd pick for a playoff run last season. He was rewarded for hitting a points milestone that hasn't been hit many times over the years. If you look at average finishes in something like the Norris the last 3-4 years, Fox will probably be top 2 with Makar with a gap to whoever is third. That's what I mean when I say it should be clear he's top 2. You will belittle the importance of that. I think it's ignoring key data and underrating Fox.

The Norris trophy isn't the end all be all when discussing best defensemen. Everyone knows it skews towards offense and players who are on top teams. But don't worry, I'll probably put him in my top 5.
Fox is as good or better defensively compared to offensively.

Skews towards top teams? You must've missed last year where Karlsson won because his team was a lottery team and was more interested in seeing him play as a fourth forward than seeing him actually play defense.

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'm sorry, but your point makes no sense. I've tried re-reading it a few times and its unintelligible.

McDavid doesn't finish 1st in the Hart every year. Neither does Makar in the Norris. Bergeron in the Selke (when he played). The best or second best at a given time doesn't need to be who literally finished in what spot in the voting. No one actually thought Erik Karlsson was the best defenseman in the league and the guy they'd pick for a playoff run last season. He was rewarded for hitting a points milestone that hasn't been hit many times over the years. If you look at average finishes in something like the Norris the last 3-4 years, Fox will probably be top 2 with Makar with a gap to whoever is third. That's what I mean when I say it should be clear he's top 2. You will belittle the importance of that. I think it's ignoring key data and underrating Fox.

Fox is as good or better defensively compared to offensively.

Skews towards top teams? You must've missed last year where Karlsson won because his team was a lottery team and was more interested in seeing him play as a fourth forward than seeing him actually play defense.

The exception to the rule doesn't disprove the rule. When you get 100 points you're gonna get Norris votes, but he clearly didn't get it for how he plays defense or his all around game. But you helped prove my point because last year's Norris winner isn't even in most people's top ten of defensemen they would want on their team.

Just let it go man. We get it, Fox is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad