The most iconic playoff series of all-time

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
How many people in Colorado cared in 1996? The team was a novelty in Denver being their inaugural season. The 2002 series probably had the most hype with the Hasek vs. Roy factor. Or 1997 because of the brawl several months prior.

I can assure you that sports fans in Colorado cared. The bolded is a claim you make without evidence - yes, the team was in their first year in Denver, but the city took to it hard especially when Roy arrived.

As a primarily Seattle sports fan living in Denver, I can say largely without bias that this city supports winning teams.

This is a weird thing for you to push on.

The Avalanche sold out every home game from November 8, 1995 through October 16, 2006.

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Well that’s certainly a take. Dismissing an entire fan base because you want to focus on when the Wings won…..

The Wings/Avs rivalry began with that first series!

Yeah…let’s just dismiss it because you don’t feel the Avs fan base was coming with right kind of motivation.
I didn't dismiss an entire fanbase. Just pointing out it was their first season. First playoff meeting between these teams. I don't believe the most iconic series in league history happened during a team's inaugural season. The rivalry didn't get national attention until after the brawl in May 1997.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
A common theme I'm noticing in answers here is Claude Julien's Bruins. Their system was basically built to park the bus and play for the tie so you notice that just about every playoff series they had with an opponent in their general skill range from 2009 to 2014 went to seven games and a ton were decided by one goal and went to OT. Plus, they had guys like Lucic and Thornton who would mix it up and play on the edge so it brought a lot of additional physicality.

The irony is that having lived through that era, everyone here was posting about how boring the Bruins were under Claude Julien, how they had no talent up front and were a trap team relying on goaltending and defense. And now when people are asked about the best series of the 21st century they go to 2011, 2013, and the surrounding years as most memorable and most competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad