The most iconic playoff series of all-time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
In terms of hype, great teams, and the series itself, hard not to choose the Bruins/Habs '79 series despite it not being for the Cup.

They had met in the SCF the previous two seasons, the Habs were going for four in a row, the Bruins were hoping not to lose four SCFs in a row, and it had one of most iconic Game 7's of all-time.

Wings/Habs in 1955 may have been the greatest heavyweight battle of all-time with GOAT talent up the ying yang. Game 7 was a bit of a disappointment.

I imagine Leafs/Habs in '67 was pretty hyped. The battle of the dynasties at the time, and of all-time, and in the two homes of hockey.

Pens/Wings in 2009 was probably the best since the lockout. Big names, a rematch between a dynastic Wings team and a fast rising Pens team, and a last second save by Fleury to seal Game 7.

Before that, Wings/Avalanche in 2002.

I like the Oilers/Flyers in 1987.

A Leafs/Habs SCF in 1993, the 75th anniversary of the league would have been amazing. Damn you, Frasier!!

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Just from my personal memory, so only going back to around 1992, I think that the Maple Leafs-Kings WCF in 1993 was one of the most memorable.

Detroit-Colorado in the late 90s or early 00s, take your pick.

Battle of Alberta in the 80s/91, again, take your pick.

Anaheim-Detroit in 07 was some of the best hockey I have ever seen.

But I would probably say the most "iconic" as a Millennial, was the 2011 Bruins-Canucks series. That was wild.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Bruins-Habs of 1979 is one quick to come to mind, the game 7, Lafleur tying it on a too many men penalty, Don Cherry-Bowman, the last year before the WHA merger, it seem to be the one the most talked about over time.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Just from my personal memory, so only going back to around 1992, I think that the Maple Leafs-Kings WCF in 1993 was one of the most memorable.

Detroit-Colorado in the late 90s or early 00s, take your pick.

Anaheim-Detroit in 07 was some of the best hockey I have ever seen.

But I would probably say the most "iconic" as a Millennial, was the 2011 Bruins-Canucks series. That was wild.

was going to mention the 2011 series as well.

You couldn't ask for more out of a SCF. Crazy entertaining games, true hatred that grew through the series, non stop shot taking in the media and you got 7 games.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
was going to mention the 2011 series as well.

You couldn't ask for more out of a SCF. Crazy entertaining games, true hatred that grew through the series, non stop shot taking in the media and you got 7 games.

The personalities in that series were just above and beyond what you normally get. Throw in two die-hard hockey markets and everything you mentioned and it's hard to beat. I didn't miss a minute of that series and I had zero rooting interest.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Game 7 in 1991. It was most intense and close. I was in uni in Alberta (from B.C.) and on a Greyhound, i the only person on the bus with a Walkman cassette player (with radio). I was giving the entire bus play by play, they asking about players and where the puck was, the driver asking as much as the passengers, everyone invested in it. After every goal (it was a two-hour bus ride) there were cheers and groans. It was a unique life experience one never forgets.

Tikkanen's hat trick cemented my appreciation for him.

This vid shows more from that game that i ever SAW from news clips afterwards:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad