The Mighty Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Once a shoulder has seperated, it is prone to injury from that point forward more often than not. He will likely have many 6-8 week stints on the injured list during his career.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Once a shoulder has seperated, it is prone to injury from that point forward more often than not. He will likely have many 6-8 week stints on the injured list during his career.
Not if he gets it tightened up with surgery. Resting 6 weeks with a recurring bad shoulder is an injury waiting to happen. It's like the dreaded hamstring injury in football that isn't fully healed.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I will 2-3 weeks. He will be fine long term, just need more strength training beside, he is still growing into his body. Not really worry about long term.... since Sid was having injuries problems too and he is by far the best player now.
On the flip side, this might be good news in the long run, as he might sign for cheaper.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not if he gets it tightened up with surgery. Resting 6 weeks with a recurring bad shoulder is an injury waiting to happen. It's like the dreaded hamstring injury in football that isn't fully healed.

I also had shoulder surgery and it will never be 100% as before, but you just need to have a proper training to heal and rehab. I think Auston really need to take his time in rehab and it will be fine.

Reactions: francis246

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
I also had shoulder surgery and it will never be 100% as before, but you just need to have a proper training to heal and rehab. I think Auston really need to take his time in rehab and it will be fine.

He just did a full summer of rest and rehab, no?

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Easy there Gary, the cup isn't ever won in October.

Yeah I know, that was a hot take. I'm not in the habit of hot takes but still, I remember last year, got his shoulder bumped and was out for a long time and came back and was never quite the same. So now he starts the year like gangbusters, all is forgotten and ... his shoulder gets bumped and can't lift his arm, it doesn't feel like a good omen. If he comes back within a week and looks good, then great. But if he's out for a week, then another week and we only get vague updates on his status, "upper body injury" and so on then I will be more than concerned.

Drinking again Gary?

Can't remember when the last time was I watched a game on Saturday night without having a few beers. :)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He just did a full summer of rest and rehab, no?

Honestly, that’s the diff between young and older people. The hardest part of rehab is always the last 10% bc st that point? You always feel normal and kept telling yourself you are fine and can get back..... Young person will go straight back while an older perso will take their time.
Now I really don’t know what Matthews did over the summer but from just looking st his size, I think he got weight training and stuff. To me with the potential of recurring shoulder injuries, he should also start doing more yoga to increase flexibility while doing weight.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah I know, that was a hot take. I'm not in the habit of hot takes but still, I remember last year, got his shoulder bumped and was out for a long time and came back and was never quite the same. So now he starts the year like gangbusters, all is forgotten and ... his shoulder gets bumped and can't lift his arm, it doesn't feel like a good omen. If he comes back within a week and looks good, then great. But if he's out for a week, then another week and we only get vague updates on his status, "upper body injury" and so on then I will be more than concerned.

Can't remember when the last time was I watched a game on Saturday night without having a few beers. :)

Worry too much Gary. Leafs will be fine.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Until the injury report comes out, there's no use in speculating

He couldn't lift his arm. The guy is done like dinner, and again, what is really really concerning that is was a nothing play, one like can happen a million times a game.

Some of you were comparing him to Sundin. Well, Sundin would have laughed straight into Trouba's face after this "hit", he wouldn't even feel it.

The guy is made of glass, I know its really f***ing hard to accept, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Optomist

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
One has to be concerned about his durability for the rest of his career...
He does drive a bit recklessly towards the net.
The D are purposely hitting him hard.

I think most players don't sacrifice their body for the shot like he does.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He couldn't lift his arm. The guy is done like dinner, and again, what is really really concerning that is was a nothing play, one like can happen a million times a game.

Some of you were comparing him to Sundin. Well, Sundin would have laughed straight into Trouba's face after this "hit", he wouldn't even feel it.

The guy is made of glass, I know its really ****ing hard to accept, but it is what it is.
this is a weirdly pessimistic take considering we have no idea what the severity actually is

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Pretty high speed hit to the back of Matthews shoulder.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
That was a really hard hit (and clean, wish we could get Trouba on the Leafs)

You look at how Trouba got him, he ducks a little and drives into his hit, I think that would have hurt a lot of players, but with Matthews shoulder that is just a really unfortunate place for him to get hit like that :(

Guess he's gone a few weeks a least.....sucks.

Reactions: BigBlu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad