The Management Thread | Live, Play, Repeat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Miller is not the problem. He cares. Maybe too much. I think he is a little upset that Tampa won the cup without him and he is wasting his prime years. He got a little carried away last autumn thinking he has a chance to win here in the next few years, but Jimbo shut that down with his off-season moves. He's not and idiot. He sees that Jimbo has no short/medium or long term plan.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Miller is not the problem. He cares. Maybe too much. I think he is a little upset that Tampa won the cup without him and he is wasting his prime years. He got a little carried away last autumn thinking he has a chance to win here in the next few years, but Jimbo shut that down with his off-season moves. He's not and idiot. He sees that Jimbo has no short/medium or long term plan.
I think you might be right....the fact that the Canucks have clearly taken a step backward early this season, and aren't likely to be much of a factor in the post-season is probably eating on him.

But we're so used to seeing guys like Eriksson and Sutter on cruise control and seemingly happy cashing their paychecks each month, that it's a bit jarring when a guy like Miller rages at the dying to the light.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
my favourite player. hes clearly not happy with the way management handled things in the offseason 100 percent. lost alot of "leaders" last year was a career year for him. this year. a stepback.

Reactions: lawrence

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Even a past his prime Jet Li would be an upgrade on any RHD we have. I’d say he’d kick some serious ass but refs don’t really allow that anymore. He is quick enough to KO someone before they intervene I suppose.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Even someone like Stecher, who signed for basically nothing, would be such a help to this blue line. This GM genuinely thought Chatfield and Joulevi were better. Let that sink in

We don't have to let that sink in because what you said is not true about Benning thinking Chatfield and Juolevi are better that Stecher. You just made that up Just because you let go of someone, it doesn't mean you think another player is better. Toffoli signed with Mon, does that mean Benning think Virtanen is better? Tanev signed with Cal, does that mean Benning also think Juolevi/Chatfield is better than Tanev as well?

Benning told Stecher to wait and he try to sign Barrie, but Stecher didn't what to wait and signed with Det.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
We don't have to let that sink in because what you said is not true about Benning thinking Chatfield and Juolevi are better that Stecher. You just made that up Just because you let go of someone, it doesn't mean you think another player is better. Toffoli signed with Mon, does that mean Benning think Virtanen is better? Tanev signed with Cal, does that mean Benning also think Juolevi/Chatfield is better than Tanev as well?

Benning told Stecher to wait and he try to sign Barrie, but Stecher didn't what to wait and signed with Det.

Question is: why was he trying to sign Barrie? With Hughes here, Barrie would've been unnecessary, redundant. The team's problem is defending, not scoring. Barrie is the poor man's version of Hughes.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

If only Stecher had the patience to wait while Benning completed a *much dumber signing*

It's really down to his impatience more than anything else

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
One of the other posters basically said that if it takes losing a 2nd, Madden and Toffoli for nothing in order lose Benning and Green then it's worth it.
It would be worth it... if it happens. Problem is, I'm not sure we're getting close to that point yet so how many more assets are we going to bleed before it does?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The JT Miller we saw last season was the happy, everything's going well version.

This year we get the pouty, grumpy frustrated one now that thing's aren't working as well.

Not like there weren't plenty of reports of him being a spazz before he got here.

Reactions: Foundational Player

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No idea and it’s not just him but he does have a previous history of controller disconnected play. It’s something that has plagued him.

is he upset at the horrible offseason/start? Was he simply pissed off and motivated to prove people wrong last year and not this year?

I was firm that I didn’t like the timing of that trade even after the “run” last season. I still don’t like it. I still think long term and the clear lack of organizational depth required the Canucks to use that first round pick. I’m not even talking value which might be just fine (though if he doesn’t pull his head out that will be re-evaluated by many)...just it was not the kind of trade that I wanted to see at the stage the team was at. Same with the Toffoli trade which was then compounded by letting him walk.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
He feels exactly how I feel, pissed off at management for becoming a lesser team than they were a year a go. It sucks losing your top goaltender, your top defenseman, and a top 6 forward who has won two cups for absolutely nothing. While keeping overpaid bums in Eriksson, Beagle, Myers, Virtanen, Roussel, and Beartschi. He wants to win in his prime years of hockey, not waste away going no where.

Reactions: TruKnyte and m9

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
His feud with management/Coach Green only gonna get worse before gets better. And hes clearly right too

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Hope I'm wrong, but if the Canucks crash and burn in this Canadian Division, the next guy to issue a trade demand will be Miller. He's clearly not happy.
I'd trade him for a 2022 first from a bubble team.

He's too old for our real contention window, which will be at least 2 years after Benning is fired.

Reactions: I am toxic

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I think Jimbo could have sent Sutter and Roussel contracts with Jacke and some picks. He refused to do it because he would be admiting that he signed bad contracts and the casuals would have been enraged to find out he had to pay to get rid of them. It\s much easier to say that Marky and Tanev are old and injury prone and that Toffolli wanted to go to the Habs than to admint that your incompetence is the cause of your bad decisions. In 2020 he sudenly found out the there is salary cap and all his bad contracts came out to bite him. He refused to held himself accountable and and now the fans pay the price for his incompetence.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Still remains that Benning is only gone once the entire media and, therefore, the more casual fans turn negative towards management. That is what Aquilini responds to. A bad set of results against the Leafs and Flames over the next 6 or 7 games could very well result in just that.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Not sure, but if you review the Nucks organization top to bottom, there is evidence that ownership of this billion dollar franchise,"loves the poorly educated".

Most of the articulate and seemingly competent and smart people appear to have left or were purged.

Take it for what it is worth but Gillis said in an interview last year, the smartest guy he had met in hockey was Erik Crawford and he would hire him immediately if he ever became President of a team:

Eric Crawford named director of pro scouting

He was dismissed by the Nucks but was promoted by the Habs to Head of pro scouting where of course he would have advised them to acquire Andersson and Chiarot and coincidently, Toffoli.
Interesting how the worm turns.

FA apparently, seems to likes the role of defacto president and being the smartest guy in the room and now he is.

You think they will contemplate changing this dynamic now they have achieved this?

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He feels exactly how I feel, pissed off at management for becoming a lesser team than they were a year a go. It sucks losing your top goaltender, your top defenseman, and a top 6 forward who has won two cups for absolutely nothing. While keeping overpaid bums in Eriksson, Beagle, Myers, Virtanen, Roussel, and Beartschi. He wants to win in his prime years of hockey, not waste away going no where.
They also lost their top 3rd pairing D who could successfully cover top4 duties in a pinch who was on a good contract.

Given reality (injuries), those types are critical for any kind of sustained success, unless people plan on another top D playing 40 to 45 minutes a game.

Never forget that Stecher - and Canucks fans - were treated like crap.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Yes FA appears to be the root problem. Yes, it can be temporarily fixed if the person who replaces Benning has enough gravitas and reputation to get hired, enough fire and pride to put FA in his place when FA tries to play GM, and enough tact to do it and hang on to the job for an extended period of time.

The problem is these kind of guys are generally not going to accept working for someone like aqua.

This is why I like someone like Hextall, who has proven results as a builder, yet isn't so proven and successful that they have significant options as someone like Rutherford or Lombardi would, and he certainly wouldn't allow his plan and decisions to be interfered with.

The problem with Aqua discussion is that owners don't get replaced very often. He's not going away. Benning on the other hand will inevitably be gone in the next several years. If you don't believe the Canucks can ever win under Aqua you may as well stop following the team because he's here to stay.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The JT Miller we saw last season was the happy, everything's going well version.

This year we get the pouty, grumpy frustrated one now that thing's aren't working as well.

Not like there weren't plenty of reports of him being a spazz before he got here.
Are you talking about Vrbata after mgmt traded away his center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad