The Loss of Broberg and Holloway Gripe Thread

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What we should have done is traded Kulak and replaced him with Broberg and kept Ceci.

Broberg DID NOT WANT TO BE AN OILER for whatever reason. Oiler management just did not clue in soon enough to that

from 10 months ago

We now know it was a trade request

from august

Most are using Friedman as reference point of saying Broberg was rejecting all contract offers from the OIlers.. that should have been a warning sign for the Oilers

Using Suaffer as reference

Lowetides observation from november last year

From the Journal right before the offer sheets

Broberg wanted out--we have dealt with that before--Oiler management were caught with their pants down ignoring all the warning signs. we should have gotten more for him

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It looks more and more signing Skinner and Arvedsson was a mistake
The problem with this team has always been with how it was originally constructed.
Extremely imbalanced and it hasnt been easy to fix.
Not properly retaining cheap internally developed players (to ensure some cap relief) is part of that problem.

This team has shown once again that it cant fill a hole (in this case secondary scoring) without creating an even bigger hole somewhere else.
This current defence is decidedly worse than it was to close out the season last year.

It is now IMO is a much bigger problem than the secondary scoring issue was to close out the season.

I am all for the team taking a half step back in order to take a full step forward but this is looking more and more like a full step back.

We shall see how it plays out. This puts the team (once again) in the position of an obvious need that the other teams are not going to be all that eager to help out with.

I still maintain that the Nurse situation (his inability to provide anything close to full value realtive to the contract) is and will continue to be a major impediment to building a properly balanced team.
Just wait until Draisaitls next contract kicks in and Bouchard gets paid.
That will be when the liability that is Darnell Nurse really shows its negative value.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The problem with this team has always been with how it was origianlly constructed.

This team has shown once again that it cant fill a hole (secondary scoring) without creating an even bigger hole somewhere else.
This current defence is decidedly worse than it was to close out the season last year.

It is now IMO is a much bigger problem than the secondary scoring issue was to close out the season.

I am all for the team taking a half step back in order to take a full step forward but this is looking more and more like a full step back.

We shall see how it plays out.
I still maintain that the Nurse situation (his inability to provide full value realtive to the contract) is and will continue to be a major impediment to building a properly balanced team.
Just wait until Draisaitls next contract kicks in and Bouchard gets paid. that will be when the liability that is Darnell Nurse really shows its negative value.

Yep. Our D is crap and we needed to spend more money there than on Skinner and Arvidsson

Reactions: guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The problem with this team has always been with how it was origianlly constructed.
Not properly retaining cheap internally developed players (to ensure some cap relief) is part of that problem.

This team has shown once again that it cant fill a hole (secondary scoring) without creating an even bigger hole somewhere else.

We shall see how it plays out.
I still maintain that the Nurse situation (his inability to provide full value realtive to the contract) is and will continue to be a major impediment to building a properly balanced team.
Just wait until Draisaitls next contract kicks in and Bouchard gets paid. that will be when the liability that is Darnell Nurse really shows its negative value.
The writing is already on the wall with them trying Nurse at RD.

I think they figure it’s the best of the square peg round hole options left and if you run Kulak - Nurse as the second pairing then maybe it opens up more trade options instead of having to get a top 4 RHD.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The writing is already on the wall with them trying Nurse at RD.

I think they figure it’s the best of the square peg round hole options left and if you run Kulak - Nurse as the second pairing then maybe it opens up more trade options instead of having to get a top 4 RHD.
They really have their backs up against the wall now.
If Darnell Nurse was half the player he should be then he would have been able to handle the 2nd pairing RHD duties a few years ago.

I think that they are officially grasping at straws.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
They really have their backs up against the wall now.
If Darnell Nurse was half the player he should be then he would have been able to handle the 2nd pairing RHD duties a few years ago.

I think that they are officially grasping at straws.
This really does feel like a last resort attempt to make things work.

The funny thing is that his game is so chaotic he actually looked better at RD than his natural LD position.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This really does feel like a last resort attempt to make things work.

The funny thing is that his game is so chaotic he actually looked better at RD than his natural LD position.
I agree that it is a last resort for sure.

I am not all that confident that it will solve anything but in all honestly I really hope that (for some magical reason...that defies logic) it actually works.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It looks more and more signing Skinner and Arvedsson was a mistake
Your finally coming around. Halfway there. Just admit we have 3 clowns playing D because of our asshat manager. Do it. You know its true. Jackson and Bowman are not fit to build a championship team. They will ruin this franchise within a year.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Your finally coming around. Halfway there. Just admit we have 3 clowns playing D because of our asshat manager. Do it. You know its true. Jackson and Bowman are not fit to build a championship team. They will ruin this franchise within a year.

the bigger issue I have is that posters are either oblivious, do not understand or are just not getting the fact the Broberg wanted out. It looks more and more that no matter what the oilers offered, he was not signing with us---

The question is why didn't the oilers move him on the draft floor? I was never a fan of Skinner but I liked Arvedsson, he is a good a two way forward that can score when needed--but either he has not recovered from his injury last year or he just is not fitting in with the oilers

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

I am not sure why this happens a lot here, but we consistently get warned about these GM's from other team's fans and then a lot of people just assume they are wrong and it's not a bad hire. I get being patient, but a lot of these guys have years of being crap. Not sure why calling out a bad hire is so forbidden her.e

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the bigger issue I have is that posters are either oblivious, do not understand or are just not getting the fact the Broberg wanted out. It looks more and more that no matter what the oilers offered, he was not signing with us---

The question is why didn't the oilers move him on the draft floor? I was never a fan of Skinner but I liked Arvedsson, he is a good a two way forward that can score when needed--but either he has not recovered from his injury last year or he just is not fitting in with the oilers
To be fair its way too early to arrive at a conclusion on Arvidsson.
He has been such a good player for so long now...I think he will come around.
Although I was one of maybe 3 posters on here that continued to suggest that Connor Brown would come around...lol

The defence on the other hand...yikes.
I am also quite concerned that this now 'soft' team is going to get a rough ride in the playoffs.
If they arent in fact soft...they sure are playing soft.

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I am not sure why this happens a lot here, but we consistently get warned about these GM's from other team's fans and then a lot of people just assume they are wrong and it's not a bad hire. I get being patient, but a lot of these guys have years of being crap. Not sure why calling out a bad hire is so forbidden her.e
I understand the need to see how things go before passing judgment but Chiarelli and Holland both left their teams in rather porous states and neither Bruins nor Wings fans speak all that fondly of them despite winning championships. Bowman also similarly left the Hawks in a bad state.

Oh if only we hired Zito instead of Holland....

Reactions: Mr Kot

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bottom 6 is always shit, maybe it’s because they play 10 mins a game and always see ice time with Nurse and the bottom pair.

Our 3rd line plays 13 minutes a game and our 4th line 10. Do you really think that’s all that out of line with other teams?

Or maybe the issue is we’ve got 2 near 40 year olds on our 4th line along with a guy who didn’t score a single goal last season? And our 3rd line is flanked by 2 wingers who didn’t even provide good 4th line production last season?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kevin Weekes says Kane will be back early 2025, so definitely couldn’t match those offer sheets and definitely can’t upgrade the defence. Wooweee.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Kevin Weekes says Kane will be back early 2025, so definitely couldn’t match those offer sheets and definitely can’t upgrade the defence. Wooweee.
The plan is clear as day at this point based on all the moves since the offer sheets landed. Scrape by until the trade deadline acquiring as much cap space as possible then combine that with double retention to fill the holes on D.

One may not like it or agree, but it's obvious that is the plan.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
The plan is clear as day at this point based on all the moves since the offer sheets landed. Scrape by until the trade deadline acquiring as much cap space as possible then combine that with double retention to fill the holes on D.

Let's hope they can physically even acquire the right piece or pieces. No guarantee. I have not even looked at who is available from other teams. Would be nice to get a Ratmus Andersson type

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

It is but the problem is, there is a shit pool of potential UFAs this year that would be available. For left and right d….lets just eliminate players on teams that are almost playoff guarenteed that leaves…
Provorov, Gavrikov, Petry, Chychrun, Martinez, Savard, Ceci, Dumoulin, Cole, Rutta, Fabbro

That’s a pretty weak group of guys especially when they arguably have to be out 3rd best defender.

And no we aren’t going to get a guy with term cause we don’t even have the potential cap to keep Draisaitl, let alone Bouchard.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Let’s throw Foegle on this pile! 2 goals in his last 2 games! I regret everything in my life.

Edit: shit I think he just scored again

I refuse to care about Foegele. Everyone on these boards wanted him and his $2.75m off the books for 2 years before this summer. Him and Kulak literally had an inside joke about who would get traded first because everyone pointed at their contracts as the first to go for any upgrades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad