The Loss of Broberg and Holloway Gripe Thread

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There were obviously choices the team decided to make. There were a number of directions they could have taken (I'm including the time back during UFA season) and this was the path they decided to take.
My question was...is this progress?
I dont think it is.

Do you?
Unfortunately JJ doesn't have much choice other than playing the slow game with the way Holland left the cap.

It might not look like progress now, but if they're able to get an $8M defenseman at 50% at the deadline then every penny they accrue now is part of the progress.

Reactions: Mr Positive

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Feels like a bad dream at this point. All the guys who left are producing. And we can’t score.

> team makes moves after a stanley cup finals run.
> players added fall flat on their face
> players who left succeed

HeyIveSeenThisBeforeItsAClassic.gif

Unfortunately JJ doesn't have much choice other than playing the slow game with the way Holland left the cap.

It might not look like progress now, but if they're able to get an $8M defenseman at 50% at the deadline then every penny they accrue now is part of the progress.

That’s not gonna matter if we’re out of contention by January.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
> team makes moves after a stanley cup finals run.
> players added fall flat on their face
> players who left succeed

HeyIveSeenThisBeforeItsAClassic.gif
Bottom 6 is always shit, maybe its because they play 10 mins a game and always see ice time with Nurse and the bottom pair.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

A lot of mistakes were made by the Holland regime and Jackson is partially to blame for that as he has been with the team for well over a year now.

If this is a half step back so they can take a full step forward then I am okay with that.
We wont know that for months and the team is not in a very good place right now.

If something along the lines of what you are proposing doesnt happen then this team (as it stands right now) with this defence isnt winning jack squat.

We shall see how it plays out.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Looks as if the Oilers were stunting growth for their young players by repeatedly force feeding McDrai all the offensive minutes. That plus the poison pill Nurse contract. Well done Oilers management.
Hard to say if they were stunted, or if the Oilers basically spent years getting these guys developed into NHL players and had them snatched away right when they were good to go.

Holloway looked alright last season but he’s dealt with injuries and hasn’t really put up the numbers. The Oilers were patient with the guy and gave him some chances.. he was given a fair shot imo.

Broberg looked like a top 4 D in the playoffs, but before that? He didn’t really get a fair shot before honestly, hard to say if we stunted his development or not. Like I remember he’d get big minutes in a random game and actually look pretty good, but then he’d basically be demoted right after.

Pulju went through the same thing at times. We’ll get a look at him next, it would be bittersweet if he has a great game and the Pens win, I like Pulju but that would sting.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Bottom 6 is always shit, maybe its because they play 10 mins a game and always see ice time with Nurse and the bottom pair.

I firmly disagree with that. I think our bottom 6 is probably the best it’s been since 2006. The issue is they’re not scoring, which is an issue not contained to the bottom 6.

The shooting % worm will turn, but it’s a matter of how much it’ll turn. If it turns to our shooting percentage last year, we’re good. If it remains below 12%, look out.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Bottom 6 does seem to get treated like shit, and it’s not exclusive to one coach either. Makes me wonder if the core is demanding about minutes and line mates.

I remember when Woodcroft first came on, he was talking about having the bottom 6 play more and get some confidence. He actually did it, and it worked, guys like Ryan were praising him. Eventually he totally stopped, played the big guns way too much and would load up McDrai. The last 3-4 coaches have done the same thing, makes me wonder.

Edit: just to be clear I like our current bottom 6 way more than previous ones

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
There woulda been if the coach coached like he had a team and not just 2 players

If our media had any balls they’d be asking our brass and captains why that is.

I mean this is coach #5 and he’s followed the same trajectory as coach 1, 3 and 4. That’s either hellva coincidence or an indication of something rotten in the state of Denmark.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Jeff Jackson's 1 offseason destroyed this team. He should be fired alongside Bowman.

Maybe they can compete for a cup when McDavid is 33 years old lmaoo
Broberg set a Blues record for most consecutive games with a point for a defenseman. 6 straight games to open the season and we got ring around the rosie fans in here pretending to play the Devils advocate and make excuses on behalf of our joke franchise.

Some fans actually posting players like Stecher, Emberson and Dermott have better underlying numbers than Broberg. Goddam 😄

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We got so f***ed. Should have have matched.

LTIR Kane. Trade the recently signed Arviddson to the next higher bidder in his free agency. Traded Kulak AND Ceci. Something.

Heres the thing. IF they were on the oilers still they wouldnt be getting the same opportunity
Cause of Nurse's useless and overpaid ass. The biggest impediment to a McDavid Cup continues to be Nurse and the ass-tarded contract Holland gave him.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Broberg set a Blues record for most consecutive games with a point for a defenseman. 6 straight games to open the season and we got ring around the rosie fans in here pretending to play the Devils advocate and make excuses on behalf of our joke franchise.

Some fans actually posting players like Stecher, Emberson and Dermott have better underlying numbers than Broberg. Goddam 😄
The best part is now we are playing nurse on RD so they can play Dermott on his natural side. This team forced Broberg to play on his offside, now they are making exceptions for an AHLer.

We would be calling for Broberg to be a Norris trophy finalist if he was an Oiler.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
We got so f***ed. Should have have matched.

LTIR Kane. Trade the recently signed Arviddson to the next higher bidder in his free agency. Traded Kulak AND Ceci. Something.

Cause of Nurse's useless and overpaid ass. The biggest impediment to a McDavid Cup continues to be Nurse and the ass-tarded contract Holland gave him.
huh

how does nurses contract have anything to do with coach utilizing players

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We can argue the loss of Broberg as much as we like--but he did not want to be an oiler for whatever reason. Maybe some day we will find out what soured between the two camps.

He did not want to be an oiler and his agent did everything he could to ensure he left Edmonton

Oiler Management dropped the puck in not realizing what level the agent was going to.

The Halloway loss? that one we can argue about--Broberg did not want to be an oiler and for me that end that arguement.

For me, the Broberg debate should be why the oilers were not more proactive on getting his ass out of town for more than they actually got for him

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Might want to add McLeod to the title too.

McLeod has scored in four straight games, and his point streak is at five contests. The 25-year-old appears to have just needed some time to build chemistry with his new teammates. McLeod saw a season-high 18:35 of ice time Tuesday, and while none of it came on the power play, if his offense stays strong, he'll get more chances there as well. He has five points, 10 shots on net and a plus-4 rating through eight appearances.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Might want to add McLeod to the title too.

McLeod has scored in four straight games, and his point streak is at five contests. The 25-year-old appears to have just needed some time to build chemistry with his new teammates. McLeod saw a season-high 18:35 of ice time Tuesday, and while none of it came on the power play, if his offense stays strong, he'll get more chances there as well. He has five points, 10 shots on net and a plus-4 rating through eight appearances.

Well, that and a 40% shooting percentage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad