The 'Letter on the Sweater' Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Now that the roster appears to be clear, who do you guys think wears the A's or even the C? I'm not going to lose sleep one way or the other but it's interesting to talk about. My guess is Foligno actually gets the C and Murphy and Jones get A's.

Bedard might get an A when Murphy inevitably gets hurt or traded.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Now that the roster appears to be clear, who do you guys think wears the A's or even the C? I'm not going to lose sleep one way or the other but it's interesting to talk about. My guess is Foligno actually gets the C and Murphy and Jones get A's.

Bedard might get an A when Murphy inevitably gets hurt or traded.
Foligno should wear the C but my guess is we go three A's with Murphy and Seth getting the others. Foligno is the defacto captain though. He's good enough and has enough edge to be that mother f***er to borrow a phrase.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Bedard shouldn't get it until 2025-2026 at the earliest, so I would probably just give it to Foligno for a year. I think he is one anyway and its not like he's going to be all upset if you give it to Connor. He's the captain anyway.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think it cheapens the captaincy to not have one. You should have one for every game, better or worse. No military or commercial ship doesn't have a hierarchy or an XO for a reason. I don't like the ritualistic pomp of not having a captain. Somebody is running the room with or without a letter.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The idea of young star best players needing to be captain is a terrible trend. Just give it to Folingo til he's gone.

Reactions: Idionym

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Bedard is such a good kid, no way he wants to take the C now with Foligno and Jones here. He will get it in the future and keep it for a long time, no rush at all

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
Do A's for now and hopefully in two (maybe three) years from now when they actually can compete for a playoff spot Bedard can be crowned king.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I think it cheapens the captaincy to not have one. You should have one for every game, better or worse. No military or commercial ship doesn't have a hierarchy or an XO for a reason. I don't like the ritualistic pomp of not having a captain. Somebody is running the room with or without a letter.

Having a captain for the sake of having one is what cheapens it. It was Foligno’s room last year. This year he’s going to play 12 minutes a night. Should he really be the face of the room as the captain?

Reactions: hockeydoug

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
IMO Foligno is still C...he did nothing to indicate that you should take the C away and as others say, Bedard is not ready yet... The A's will likely still be Murphy and Jones when in the lineup and Dickinson was also an A as I recall often enough

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
They might give it to Jones. They might give it to Foligno, which I think they should.

C or A - Foligno
A - Jones
A - Murphy
A - Dickinson

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
They might give it to Jones. They might give it to Foligno, which I think they should.

C or A - Foligno
A - Jones
A - Murphy
A - Dickinson
i would rather murphy was captain than jones. doesn't even have anything to do with the fact that i don't care for jones as a player. just doesn't scream "leader" to me.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
If the intent is to ultimately give it to Bedard you don’t give it to jones because you don’t want to remove the C. (Never a good look).
Give it to Foligno until he retires or Leaves Chicago. Give Bedard an A next year.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
I don't really care how many minutes a night he plays. I see them giving the C to Foligno this year and once he moves on, probably after his contract is up after next year, it'll be prime for Bedard to get it.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i would rather murphy was captain than jones. doesn't even have anything to do with the fact that i don't care for jones as a player. just doesn't scream "leader" to me.
The amount of young dmen Jones has taken under his wing is pretty impressive. Go look up the interviews from Luke Hughes how thankful he was to Jones who guided him and helped him on and off the ice for Team USA at the World Championships a few years back. Dude is well liked, respected and gives his time to younger players. That is captain material all day long.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As long as Jones is sticking around I say give him the C
I'd give the A's to Foligno and Bedard ( let him learn from a couple of pros ).
Agreed. Then give it to Bedard when Jones leaves. I get not wanting to have a Captain for that dog shit team last year but we're clearly moving forward from that so we should operate like a normal team.

Reactions: crazyhawk

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Burn whatever happened last year. Murphy, Foligno, didn't work out well based on consistency to prepare for games and year long effort. Maybe not their fault but failure is failure. That team ouldn't get ready to play for sh$$, same coaches, new leaders on the ice should happen.

New "A"s please

Give one to Vlasic, he'll have some regression or growing pains most likely, kid looks like he can handle responsibility, if it fails, he has years to fix himself after taking it back. I know people like to credit Rockford for his fast progression but I think it was more on the player himself. Between managing the diet stuff off ice (massive challenge most players don't face) and his rapid ascension to a big role, I think he's a gigantic "force of will" type and has the pedigree.

Give one to Mrazek, let him inspire the vets on twilight tours because he had a chance to extend his career. He's a mercenary, let him perform or lose the job and letter to Broissort.

Give the last "A" to Bedard, if not, TT or Bert. Bedard drove the offense, talent is a leadership quality, let the kid try it on. If they don't like that, give it to the new talent meant and paid to change the on-ice complexion.

Lockerroom chemistry is already thrown off with all the new faces, so take advantage of some of the chaos and by all means, take some of the losses that comes with it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Burn whatever happened last year. Murphy, Foligno, didn't work out well based on consistency to prepare for games and year long effort. Maybe not their fault but failure is failure. That team ouldn't get ready to play for sh$$, same coaches, new leaders on the ice should happen.

New "A"s please

Give one to Vlasic, he'll have some regression or growing pains most likely, kid looks like he can handle responsibility, if it fails, he has years to fix himself after taking it back. I know people like to credit Rockford for his fast progression but I think it was more on the player himself. Between managing the diet stuff off ice (massive challenge most players don't face) and his rapid ascension to a big role, I think he's a gigantic "force of will" type and has the pedigree.

Give one to Mrazek, let him inspire the vets on twilight tours because he had a chance to extend his career. He's a mercenary, let him perform or lose the job and letter to Broissort.

Give the last "A" to Bedard, if not, TT or Bert. Bedard drove the offense, talent is a leadership quality, let the kid try it on. If they don't like that, give it to the new talent meant and paid to change the on-ice complexion.

Lockerroom chemistry is already thrown off with all the new faces, so take advantage of some of the chaos and by all means, take some of the losses that comes with it.
Goalies can't wear letters.

Reactions: Giovi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad