GDT: The Hurricanes Play a Bunch of Senators

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Recent hockey history is littered with defensive teams going on runs, most recently the Islanders and Habs in 2021.

They just need to bear down defensively. Unacceptable sloppiness defensively this evening.
Those teams also got otherworldly goaltending as well in the playoffs. I have no faith in any of our guys outside Kooch being the one to do that right now, and I don't think Kooch is ready to be that guy just yet. You never know though, he could do an 06 Cam Ward imitation as well, but that's our best hope at this point. Raanta I don't think will stay healthy (and his last couple outings have been kinda shaky) and Freddy has turned back into a pumpkin.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Those teams also got otherworldly goaltending as well in the playoffs. I have no faith in any of our guys outside Kooch being the one to do that right now, and I don't think Kooch is ready to be that guy just yet. You never know though, he could do an 06 Cam Ward imitation as well, but that's our best hope at this point. Raanta I don't think will stay healthy (and his last couple outings have been kinda shaky) and Freddy has turned back into a pumpkin.
What is crazy is our defense was so meh in the 06 playoffs, despite our great offense, we likely don’t go anywhere without Ward going crazy.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
Brett Pesce has f***ing awful lately. His poor skating is becoming more and more apparent. The effort sucks too. Please Justin Faulk his ass this offseason and move on. Move Chatty up to the 2RHD.
i rather just move both down , Pesce on 3rd line to play with Morrow/Seeley/Honka get a top 4 defensemen , Chat #7 on Standby , i wanna see our young players play , seen enough of Drury

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Brett Pesce has f***ing awful lately. His poor skating is becoming more and more apparent. The effort sucks too. Please Justin Faulk his ass this offseason and move on. Move Chatty up to the 2RHD.
Kinda reminds of the old LaRose discourse.

Constantly pumping your feet at the NHL level does not mean you're a good skater, it means the opposite.

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I have this picture of Sogaard in the crease, and Noesen’s behind right up against his mask … but of course I have zero clue how to post it. Being a tech tard. Anyway, I’m not sure it’s as bad of a call as some of you are making it out to be. Open to discussion of course.

Canes need their best players to be their best players, now more than ever. Can’t have Aho being useless even for one game. And a goalie has to step up and be a brick wall at least once/three games or so. To let the players breathe a little.

Also … they look so gassed. The opportunity was there, at least on defense, to give a guy a night off here or there.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I re-sign Skjei before Pesce at this point. And I don’t think we’ll keep both. Also starting to think Nikishin will be a Burns replacement next to Slavin. Morrow/Chat will replace Pesce in 2024. Slavin obviously a lifetime Hurricane

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The GI call was iffy, a 50/50 call in normal circumstances. But when it's in the middle of a 5-on-3?

Yeah, that's getting called 100% of the time.

Reactions: Tryamw

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You guys are out to lunch about Pesce, but I know you’re all out of sorts currently. He gets kudos all game long from opposing broadcasts, especially lately. For every play you think he messed up there’s about ten you missed where he did the thing that was needed. His actual mess ups are pretty rare. Skjei is likely to be overpaid as an offensive producer, who does a fraction of the dirty work his partner does.

Hats off to Ottawa’s broadcast for calling out their own goalie for diving on the play of the game. They sympathized with Rod’s daily eruption.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Yeah that goalie dove like Greg Louganis. But like… oh well. I’m not super stressed that we might only win the division two years in a row instead of three. And I mean we still very well might. It’ll be entertaining either way

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think Noesen brushed the goalie outside the crease. But he hardly hit him as hard as he acted. Definitely not enough to knock him down. It was an act job.
They showed it zoomed in on the jumbotron and he got him lightly but the speed at which Søgaard whipped his head around didn’t match at all with the speed Noesen was moving at.

I re-sign Skjei before Pesce at this point. And I don’t think we’ll keep both. Also starting to think Nikishin will be a Burns replacement next to Slavin. Morrow/Chat will replace Pesce in 2024. Slavin obviously a lifetime Hurricane
Nikishin plays the left side, no?

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The bias in this officiating is worse than fifa. Refs have to be getting instructions.

Tim peel level.

I think it is simple as they have grown to despise Rod for having an absolute spaz attack each and everytime something doesn't go his way. And likely, they have zero respect for Canes players who are soft and get pushed around and respond only with ticky-tack retaliation instead of taking the body. So if there is something even as ridiculous as a goaltender throwing himself to the ice- they are getting dinged, and every team knows it now, and acts accordingly.

Tough hill to climb come playoff time under any circumstances.

Reactions: ndp and bleedgreen

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The boys look mentally tired.

Maybe try something different and give them extra rest heading into the POs?

Maybe this is what they're trying?

"Boys, just go play. Don't worry about the score, be really bad for all I care. Just don't overexert yourselves."

In all seriousness though, Rod has been clear, on the record, that the system they play requires 110% effort and falls apart and looks awful if you have anything less than that. Let's hope we hold on to the division, but also let's hope this is just a collective lull before the whole room gets reinspired come Game 1 of the playoffs.

I'm most concerned about goaltending. Last year it was "oh well, Andersen's not available." This year I'm not sure we want him being the guy heading into Round 1 if we have the choice.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
They showed it zoomed in on the jumbotron and he got him lightly but the speed at which Søgaard whipped his head around didn’t match at all with the speed Noesen was moving at.

Nikishin plays the left side, no?
He has with SKA but I believe with Spartak he played his off side at times.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
You guys are out to lunch about Pesce, but I know you’re all out of sorts currently. He gets kudos all game long from opposing broadcasts, especially lately. For every play you think he messed up there’s about ten you missed where he did the thing that was needed. His actual mess ups are pretty rare. Skjei is likely to be overpaid as an offensive producer, who does a fraction of the dirty work his partner does.

Hats off to Ottawa’s broadcast for calling out their own goalie for diving on the play of the game. They sympathized with Rod’s daily eruption.
Frankly if anyone on that pairing should be getting called out for the 3rd goal its Skjei for being past the puck up ice while Pesce is being hounded by two Sens players at the blue line. Made the break away/drop pass that much easier since Skjei had to play catchup instead of already being between them and the goal.

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Lot's of negative vibes around here. But understandable.

That said, I've been through worse as a Canes fan.
I mean we certainly have, It just stings more because with better injury luck we would be legitimate cup contenders....

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I'll just add that tonight was one of THE worst performances I've seen from Aho in quite some time. Two needless penalties, and any offense just died in his stick.

It's probably the worst game I've seen him play this season. Granted I haven't watched every game but he looked entirely unengaged.

Reactions: ndp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad