GDT: The Hurricanes Pay a Visit to the Devils Stomping Grounds

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yea we just have tiny hearts obviously

I mean, it's just what's already been said in this thread: Our star players are inconsistent, and when they're off their game, they're complete non-factors.

And this season in particular, our top two lines have alternated streaks of one being red hot, while the other plays like complete booty. These last few games are what happens when neither line shows up.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
3 games.

2 minutes from it being literally 3 entire f***ing games without a goal
Truly awful. This is next level bad for offensive woes. I wouldn't mind them losing games occasionally (it happens inevitably), but I do mind this. Getting shut out in back to back games no less should be unacceptable; "slump" or "good effort" or not.
f*** our team has been stupid lately
It was absolutely horrendous tonight. deHaan was obviously, and deservedly mentioned for his horrible turn over, and it was eerily similar to him nearly turning the puck over against Vegas when he skated back in front of our goalie. However, there were SO many of our players that fanned on shots tonight, made bad passes/turn overs, and at one point, two of our players even ran into each other.

It has been a "comedy of errors" as the phrase goes.

Btw, I feel like deHaan is replaceable after this week. In fact, it seems like we could get a better player at this point, and is not worth re-signing. Too many huge mistakes with skating back in front of our goalie. Skate up the ice when you have room Einstein!
When was the last time we’ve been shut out 2 games in a row (almost 3 games)?
2014 according to WRAL. Remember those good old days? Those sure were fun.
I'll just echo what I said last night

This team needs to get their shit together or the front office has to shake things up this summer. You can't keep melting down in the playoffs when you should have your best players step up and not shake up the core.

If this team wants to stay together, they have to show results this year. No excuses. None
I'm feeling more and more like this. If they don't even make the conference finals this year, we should seriously consider trading a roster player(s) if the front office believes it improves the team.
Getting shut out in back to back games against top 10 teams after a severely criticized trade deadline is a bold move
Not surprising they're reverting back to offensive woes. Our star players have too much inconsistency, and especially when it matters most (see their history in the playoffs). Least surprising of all is that our power play is regressing to the means. I just hope we didn't use up all of our power play luck in the 2-3 games after we got Ghost, and we have PP success in the playoffs.

Pesce said they (the team) had this game circled on the calendar no less. They knew it was a big game, and this was what we got.

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Listened to the game while driving between Atlanta and Gainesville, so I had to just listen to Mike and Tripp. The biggest takeaway is how they can slosh so much perfume on a pig. A. Bit of homerism is fine, but I prefer a bit of reality to my hockey…

oh well, only 17 games until the playoffs.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
It's the lack of your belief that messed up these tinkerbells.

The Athletic called them Pee Wees. Pretty sick burn.

Screenshot_20230313-092056.png

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
If I had to pick one word for last night, I'd choose "clumsy". Clumsy goaltending, clumsy puck handling, clumsy Defense, clumsy power play, clumsy Necas going back to his 'do it alone dipsy doo', clumsy Aho (how many giveaway or fumbled pucks?' clumsy shooting, clumsy DeHaan, clumsy ref'ing. Just an all-around Clumsy game, made worse by a great performance by Vanacek.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
It will be interesting to see if these recent games/losses are part of flukey funk due to injuries, illness, new chemistry or a reality check and reset re: post season expectations?

What concerns me is the potential loss of a champion’s confidence and mindset which I thought this team had more so than past seasons. They looked kinda pitiful at times over the past few games.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Listened to the game while driving between Atlanta and Gainesville, so I had to just listen to Mike and Tripp. The biggest takeaway is how they can slosh so much perfume on a pig. A. Bit of homerism is fine, but I prefer a bit of reality to my hockey…

oh well, only 17 games until the playoffs.
I watched the end of the game on mute. Tripp’s basically gaslighting at this point, he’s saying the exact opposite of what I’m literally watching with my own two eyes. Shane has been pretty bad as well lately.

I think what got me last night was at the beginning of the 3rd, Shane and Tripp talking about how the defense needed to score the first goal, or at least create a rebound for a forward to bang home. How they just needed to working it from down low out to the point and hammering those point shots. And that’s exactly what NJ was expecting them to do, ALL NIGHT LONG.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's the lack of your belief that messed up these tinkerbells.
oh oh.

Well, because of other stuff going on, I'm going to miss most of the games over the next couple of weeks and won't be on here as much either so I hope none of it hinges on me.

Reactions: Tryamw

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
It will be interesting to see if these recent games/losses are part of flukey funk due to injuries, illness, new chemistry or a reality check and reset re: post season expectations?

What concerns me is the potential loss of a champion’s confidence and mindset which I thought this team had more so than past seasons. They looked kinda pitiful at times over the past few games.
They look worn the hell out to me. And again I think it’s a matter of not having that take charge, dynamic, offensive star type player. The guy who’s scoring rarely dries up during the season.

Jarvis isn’t, or shouldn’t be a first line player yet. He doesn’t have the man strength to play the style of game he wants to yet. Do any other contenders have a sub .5 PPG winger on their top line?

Other than the hat trick game TT has pretty much looked like ass on the offensive side of things this whole season. He’s well off his .75ish PPG average. Maybe it’s his PP usage?

Svech hasn’t been great the second half of the season. I don’t care how many little things he does right, he’s here to score goals and it seems to fall apart about halfway through the season. This has been a trend the past few seasons and it’s a little worrisome to me. He’s supposed to be “that guy” and he’s not yet, still time to get there I think.

Aho with 0 points and -3 in the last 5 games.

Necas hasn’t scored a goal in the last 5.

KK was and still is a borderline #2 center.

They look gassed to me, same as they always start to look about this time of the season. Rod pushing them too hard down the stretch? Even Jordo looks gassed to me.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I watched the end of the game on mute. Tripp’s basically gaslighting at this point, he’s saying the exact opposite of what I’m literally watching with my own two eyes. Shane has been pretty bad as well lately.

I think what got me last night was at the beginning of the 3rd, Shane and Tripp talking about how the defense needed to score the first goal, or at least create a rebound for a forward to bang home. How they just needed to working it from down low out to the point and hammering those point shots. And that’s exactly what NJ was expecting them to do, ALL NIGHT LONG.

Yeah, if it hasn't been obvious, teams have clued in on that. The biggest problem in the Philly game, the Vegas game and yesterday is that the other team has done masterwork in clogging the shooting lanes. Too many times to count, we'd shoot it from the point, it'd hit someone near the faceoff circle, and EVERY opposing player had the inside position on any Canes player trying to get the puck. Then it'd lead to an easy clear or a rush going the other way.

The schedule isn't going to get any easier as well, so unless they find a way to address this soon, we can forget the division and may even need to worry about losing home ice.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Yeah, if it hasn't been obvious, teams have clued in on that. The biggest problem in the Philly game, the Vegas game and yesterday is that the other team has done masterwork in clogging the shooting lanes. Too many times to count, we'd shoot it from the point, it'd hit someone near the faceoff circle, and EVERY opposing player had the inside position on any Canes player trying to get the puck. Then it'd lead to an easy clear or a rush going the other way.

The schedule isn't going to get any easier as well, so unless they find a way to address this soon, we can forget the division and may even need to worry about losing home ice.
It seemed like Pesce hit quite a few shin guards last night. A quick team like NJ gets the puck moving in the other direction so fast those blocked point shots turn into odd man rushes real quick. If that point shot isn’t at least getting through the first layer of defenders it’s going to be a long night. Not to mention when they start picking off the pass from low to high. There’s plenty of time to make some adjustments to how they approach certain teams. Right now it definitely feels like a few teams have got their number as far as strategy is concerned.

Loosing the division to NJ with their pretty terrible home record is kinda whatever, and honestly might be a little kick in the ass the players need. But loosing home ice to the NYR in the first round would definitely be no bueno.

Reactions: Stickpucker

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Something something deadline something.

Have not felt very optimistic about our playoff prospects since the deadline at all—
Especially with a first round match up with the Rongos.

Blergh

Reactions: hblueridgegal

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
. . .

Loosing the division to NJ with their pretty terrible home record is kinda whatever, and honestly might be a little kick in the ass the players need. But loosing home ice to the NYR in the first round would definitely be no bueno.

NJ record at home 19-12-2; away 25-4-4. Maybe the team is playing 3D chess by maneuvering into 2nd place and therefore into a better position to beat NJ in the second round. :sarcasm:

Reactions: AD Skinner and ndp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad