Value of: The Gretzky Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Depending on how someone feels about Nashville's prospects, I think they could make a pretty serious offer.

Johansen
Jeannot
Svechkov
Askarov
Prokop
Evangelista
'22 1st
'23 1st

That's an absolute haul and keeps Edmonton competitive. Edmonton just delays the cup run ~2 years but should have a much deeper team for it.

Nashville gets the best center in the world and has the depth and cap to make themselves a cup favorite.

I think Edmonton would want someone younger and better as the lynchpin, and I can’t see Edmonton being too keen on two Russians as a big part of the package given our recent history with them.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I think Edmonton would want someone younger and better as the lynchpin, and I can’t see Edmonton being too keen on two Russians as a big part of the package given our recent history with them.
Didn't think about the Russian thing. I don't think Conner goes anywhere without an Eichel like situation (minus injuries), Nashville just seems like they could take on what's need in value and still have a team capable of going deep in the playoffs and fit the $12.5m cap hit.

Other teams have more high end pieces or need than Nashville, Nashville's cap situation just makes for a pretty clean trade.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Comparing the Gretzky sale and a McDavid trade is asinine, they are not close in similarity at all

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
they shouldn't trade anyone . they should get rid of holland before he does more damage

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Basically if you’re looking for comparables

- a young top 10 forward
- a recent top 10 pick
Three firsts
Probably another first or a blue chip prospect to fill in for the cash considerations

hard to draw a straight line, but

Rantanen
Newhook
Byram
‘22 1st
‘24 1st
‘26 1st

just for example is probably pretty close for a modern comparable

good god

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Gretzky was winning, though - that was the most alarming part of the trade. There was zero reason to trade him. Edmonton probably wins a few more Cups in a row instead of just the one in 1990 if they keep him.

Pocklington was broke and needed cash flow. That's it.
Not likely. Mario and the penguins were coming and mario had already established himself as the best player in the world at that time. Oio time was over by 91

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Such a horrible trade. Was about money. Gretzky went on to have almost 1,000 pts for the Kings in just 8 seasons lol

McDavid won’t be going for a package that weak.
Amazingly, that production was down significantly from what he had done prior. I'm not convinced the Oilers win more cups if they had kept him.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Gretzky was sold more than traded. Also the economics of the league were totally diffferent. Plus the salary cap. Trying to apply lessons from that trade to the modern NHL is somewhat useless.
This. Bruce McNall admitted this. The trade itself was for looks. The cash was the main item.

owners of teams aren’t cash poor like they were years ago. The Pockingtons were trying to keep the franchise in EDM and keep it afloat.

bruce McNall doesn’t get enough credit, but that move by him buying Gretz made hockey so much more popular in the United states

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You can't compare the Gretzky trade to the McDavid trade.

#1 - Gretzky > McDavid
#2 - When Gretzky was traded most viewed him not only as the best player in the world at the time but they also knew he'd retire being the best player of all time.
#3 - If Edmonton wasn't hurting for money they wouldn't have traded Gretzky. If for some reason they STILL wanted to trade him and didn't want cash back, the return would have been much more impressive.

So what is a fair return for McDavid?

Lindros value is unrealistic. I don't think anyone thought Peter Forsberg was going to be THAT good. If you look at that trade value from the perspective of someone who couldn't have imagined that Forsberg would have turned out to be a generational player, the value is pretty good but at the same time 100% unrealistic in the salary cap era.

Basically if you’re looking for comparables

- a young top 10 forward
- a recent top 10 pick
Three firsts
Probably another first or a blue chip prospect to fill in for the cash considerations

hard to draw a straight line, but

Rantanen
Newhook
Byram
‘22 1st
‘24 1st
‘26 1st

just for example is probably pretty close for a modern comparable

IMO value-wise that looks like a realistic trade proposal for the best player in the world in 2022.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
In light of all of the McDavid proposals, I figured it would be worthwhile to revisit the Gretzky trade to see he returned. It does not seem fair to use the benefit of hindsight here because that was not available to the Oilers when they made the trade. Also, for the people that have watched hockey in this era, it would be extremely helpful if you could provide some player comparisons for the players involved.

To LA:
C Wayne Gretzky
D Marty McSorley
C Mike Krushelnyski

To EDM:
C Jimmy Carson (Recent 2nd overall pick, already had a 100 point season at the time of the trade)
LW Martin Gelinas (Drafted by LA that summer at 7th overall)
1989 1st Round Pick
1991 1st Round Pick
1993 1st Round Pick
$15 Million in cash

the pimp needed the money….

can’t do money transactions that anymore.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In light of all of the McDavid proposals, I figured it would be worthwhile to revisit the Gretzky trade to see he returned. It does not seem fair to use the benefit of hindsight here because that was not available to the Oilers when they made the trade. Also, for the people that have watched hockey in this era, it would be extremely helpful if you could provide some player comparisons for the players involved.

To LA:
C Wayne Gretzky
D Marty McSorley
C Mike Krushelnyski

To EDM:
C Jimmy Carson (Recent 2nd overall pick, already had a 100 point season at the time of the trade)
LW Martin Gelinas (Drafted by LA that summer at 7th overall)
1989 1st Round Pick
1991 1st Round Pick
1993 1st Round Pick
$15 Million in cash
Gretzky didn't want out. That's false.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Even though this was a sale, lets put this in an easier to read perspective;

5 first rounders + $35.4m ($1 in 1988 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $2.36 today, an increase of $1.36 over 34 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 2.55% per year between 1988 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 135.67%.)

I can't even imagine a real trade for him....The team would have to gut their entire franchise...but then again...he's not a cornerstone...he's the damn building.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad