The Greatest Ever... (Leaf, Ranger, Predator, Senator, Hab, Soviet, etc)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
It is absolutely worth mentioning that Gretzky was only a -5 on a team that was +11 during his time there, and that Dionne was +105 on a team that was -238 over 12 seasons. However, there are mitigating factors affecting this as well. Gretzky was able to carry lesser linemates, like Granato, Kudelski, etc. This was good for those players, coaches thought it was best for the team, but it wasn't necessarily best for Gretzky's numbers. But Dionne had the benefit of a stacked line during his most dominant seasons. You see this happen sometimes in situations where teams put all their eggs in one basket. Take a look at the seasonal +/- in 79, 80 and 81. There's the Triple Crown Line, and then there's everyone else. Take a look at this: Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

It had the opposite effect that it had on Gretzky. Made Dionne look great, but the team was worse off. Perhaps if they spread the three best scorers throughout the lineup they would have been a better team.

However Kings were better off in 93 when they stopped that sillyness and played Gretzky with Robitaille, Kurri, Sandström and Granato. With Rychel getting a few shifts in when McSorley wasnt on the ice. That and his hanging by the blueline led to his best offensive playoff performance in a kings jersey.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I like Bill Cook for the Rangers, Beliveau for Montreal. Toronto is difficult, as there are lots of options and none of them have played for the team since 1975.

I think Frank Boucher for the Rangers, actually. Cook, Bathgate, Leetch, & Lundqvist come in just behind. Messier as well, depending on how much you weight prime vs. total career value.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think that the Maple Leafs and Canadiens are the two toughest to pick.

The Canadiens have Richard, Beliveau, LaFleur, Dryden, and several others that would be the greatest of all time on most other teams.

Where even to start with the Maple Leafs? Apps? Sittler? Armstrong? Bower? Somebody else?

Habs and Leafs fans care to weigh in?

For the habs, it gets tougher because they have another couple couple guys who dominated the game for their era, but it was so long ago, that nobody can really talk about them.

I'm talking about Howie morenz, and Newsy Lalonde.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Boston - Orr
Buffalo - Hasek
Detroit - Howe
Florida - Luongo
Montreal - M.Richard, Harvey, Béliveau, Plante, Morenz ??? Tough
Ottawa - Nighbor
Tampa Bay - St. Louis
Toronto - Apps, Kennedy, Horton, Conacher ??? Tough
Hartford/Carolina - Francis
Columbus - Nash
New Jersey - Brodeur
NYI - Potvin
NYR - Cook & Boucher equal
Philadelphia - Clarke
Pittsburgh - Lemieux
Washington - Ovechkin
Chicago - Hull
Quebec - Stastny
Colorado - Sakic
Dallas - Modano
Wild - Koivu ?
Nashville - Weber
STL - Brett Hull? MacInnis, Pronger
Atlanta - Kovalchuk
Anaheim - Selanne
Winnipeg - Hawerchuk
Phoenix - Doan
Calgary - Iginla
Edmonton - Gretzky
Los Angeles - Gretzky, Dionne, Robitaille, Doughty ??? Tough
San Jose - Thornton
Vancouver - I feel like saying Ryan Kesler. Probably Henrik Sedin is the answer followed by Daniel and Bure.

Edit:

Maroons: N.Stewart or H.Smith
NYA: Schriner
Bulldogs: Malone
Wanderers: S.Cleghorn

West coast leagues:

Vancouver Millionnaires: Cyclone Taylor, HM: Hugh Lehman, Art Duncan
Seattle Metropolitans: Frank Foyston
Edmonton Eskimos: Joe Simpson or Duke Keats
Victoria Cougars: Frank Fredrickson
Calgary Tigers: Herb Gardiner
Regina Capitals: George Hay
Saskatoon Sheiks: Bill Cook
Portland Rosebuds: Moose Johnson

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Boston - Orr
Buffalo - Hasek
Detroit - Howe
Florida - Luongo
Ottawa - Nighbor
Tampa Bay - St. Louis
Columbus - Nash
New Jersey - Brodeur
NYI - Potvin
Philadelphia - Clarke
Pittsburgh - Lemieux
Washington - Ovechkin
Chicago - Hull
Quebec/Colorado - Sakic
Dallas - Modano
Wild - Koivu ?
Nashville - Weber
Atlanta/Winnipeg - Kovalchuk
Anaheim - Selanne
Winnipeg - Hawerchuk
Phoenix - Doan
Calgary - Iginla
Edmonton - Gretzky
San Jose - Thornton
Vancouver - I feel like saying Ryan Kesler. Probably Henrik Sedin is the answer followed by Daniel and Bure.

Edit:

Good list. I live on the west coast, and I certainly don't think Kesler is the best Canuck.

It's probably Henrik Sedin, but when you add in goodwill, and sentimental value, Trevor Linden is right there. It's hard to explain to an out of market person how beloved he is here.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Federko was so central to the 1980's Blues. He's got to be 1st or 2nd in consideration.
Anaheim - Selanne
No one produced more points per game or star power than Kariya (HAD to be said). More significantly, Ryan Getzlaf captained them to the Stanley Cup, leading the team in points in the championship run as well as two more conference final runs. I cannot fathom Selanne - minus his Winnipeg and other days - topping Getzlaf AS A DUCK!
Vancouver - I feel like saying Ryan Kesler. Probably Henrik Sedin is the answer...
Yeah... but us Canucks fans would just nod if you had said "Linden" or "Bure".

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Good list. I live on the west coast, and I certainly don't think Kesler is the best Canuck.

It's probably Henrik Sedin, but when you add in goodwill, and sentimental value, Trevor Linden is right there. It's hard to explain to an out of market person how beloved he is here.

It's not hard to explain; it's why Rocket Richard will always be the #1 Montreal Canadiens despite paradoxally not being the top player from the franchise (arguably).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Only two players (that I can see) are arguably the best player from two franchises:

Wayne Gretzky for Edmonton and LA.

Bill Cook for the NYR and Saskatoon Sheiks (or Crescents) from the WCHL/WHL.

Patrick Roy is close to the 1st place on two franchises but misses the mark.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... Mark Messier would be somewhat close to the #1 place on two franchises, though it's probably a stretch to say Messier is near #1 in NY.
Lol.

Messier "somewhat close" to greatest... what? If not Ranger... then what? Cincinnati Stinger?

I have never heard a human being say the possibility you seem to be suggesting. It's like saying Lindsay was a greater Red Wing than Howe.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lol.

Messier "somewhat close" to greatest... what? If not Ranger... then what? Cincinnati Stinger?

I have never heard a human being say the possibility you seem to be suggesting. It's like saying Lindsay was a greater Red Wing than Howe.

I edited Messier out before you quoted me, but Messier is certainly "near" the 1st place in Edmonton, considering he is easily #2 behind Gretzky. Yeah, the gap is astronomical, but 2nd place is still 2nd place. One player away from being the greatest on Edmonton.

Reactions: VanIslander

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Phoenix - Doan

While I dont disagree that Doan is one of those yotes players you think of when talking greatest yotes. I just dont think he is. I mean Ray Whitney, Khabibulin, Bryzgalov, Smith, OEL and Numminen are/were greater players than Doan. Hell, I'd say I rank Cliff Ronning ahead of him as well.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have never met a Coyotes fan, but i suspect the greatest would be seen as the franchise leader in goals, assists, points and with nearly 500 more games played, the 13-year captain... Shane Doan.

Though, ... 28-year-old OEL might be the replacement one day.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
To be honest, I might take Robitaille as the "greatest" LA King. He sits 1st in Kings' goals, 2nd in points (though Hockey Ref's sketchy 'adjusted points' system has him 1 point ahead of Dionne!), and ahead of Dionne in games played (though Brown, as of last year, and Dave Taylor are ahead of him there).

I don't see how it would work that Robitaille could be the greatest King over Gretzky. His entire career only makes him approximately the 150th greatest player of all-time. I'm not going to argue that if you take out his seasons in other jerseys, he'd fall all that much or at all - he was always most comfortable as a King (even before and after Wayne) and the other 240 points in 354 games is just window dressing on his excellent career as a King. But still - where would Wayne Gretzky rank on an all-time list if we only consider his Kings career? Three scoring titles and a Hart and incredible playoff production has to at least get him into Malkin territory, doesn't it? As a higher career shorter peak Malkin, maybe rank him in the 60s? Wherever you place him, surely it's higher than 150th.

However Kings were better off in 93 when they stopped that sillyness and played Gretzky with Robitaille, Kurri, Sandström and Granato. With Rychel getting a few shifts in when McSorley wasnt on the ice. That and his hanging by the blueline led to his best offensive playoff performance in a kings jersey.

I guess they were better off, after all, they were 3rd in the division, made the playoffs and went far. But was Wayne better off? He had the 2nd worst regular season of the first 18 years of his career. Missed half the season and when he played was only 14th in points per game.

The information in his ES scoring log for that season shows that in the regular season his main linemates were Robitaille and Granato, with Sandstrom and Donnelly secondary. In the playoffs, he was with Sandstrom from start to finish, with a mix on the other side (Robitaille and Rychel show up the most).

So he got some time with Robitaille this season, but it also wasn't excessive. they collaborated on just 23 ES goals the entire season and playoffs combined. Without going through every season I can't say if this was typical. But for the most part, it seems like this was a season where Gretzky carried lesser players like any other time - Granato, Donnelly, and Rychel prime among them. Never Kurri. And Sandstrom was OK but he was no Robitaille, and he was not driving the bus along with Wayne (not many would, of course).

I think Frank Boucher for the Rangers, actually. Cook, Bathgate, Leetch, & Lundqvist come in just behind. Messier as well, depending on how much you weight prime vs. total career value.

I think Cook and then Boucher is the right answer for the Rangers too. I pushed really hard to get THN to do it that way, but in the end they went halfway and put Cook 1st (to respect the 1998 list) and Boucher 4th.

Boston - Orr
Buffalo - Hasek
Detroit - Howe
Florida - Luongo
Ottawa - Nighbor
Tampa Bay - St. Louis
Columbus - Nash
New Jersey - Brodeur
NYI - Potvin
Philadelphia - Clarke
Pittsburgh - Lemieux
Washington - Ovechkin
Chicago - Hull
Quebec - Stastny
Colorado - Sakic
Dallas - Modano
Wild - Koivu ?
Nashville - Weber
Atlanta - Kovalchuk
Anaheim - Selanne
Winnipeg - Hawerchuk
Phoenix - Doan
Calgary - Iginla
Edmonton - Gretzky
San Jose - Thornton

Edit:

Wanderers: S.Cleghorn

West coast leagues:

Vancouver Millionnaires: Cyclone Taylor, HM: Hugh Lehman, Art Duncan
Seattle Metropolitans: Frank Foyston
Edmonton Eskimos: Joe Simpson or Duke Keats
Victoria Cougars: Frank Fredrickson
Calgary Tigers: Herb Gardiner
Regina Capitals: George Hay
Saskatoon Sheiks: Bill Cook
Portland Rosebuds: Moose Johnson

Maroons: Stewart 1st, Smith 2nd
NYA - easily Worters. Schriner easy 2nd.
Bulldogs - easily Malone.

Your choices raise some interesting questions. Do we treat "greatest player of all-time" differently from "greatest player for a franchise"? I don't think we should. To go back to my LA example, a Gretzky who only played from 1988-1996 would still be in the 60s all-time. Dionne only as a King, 60s-70s. Robitaille would be ~150th. And as much as I love giving defensemen their due, Doughty is not yet a top-100 player of all-time in a career played entirely for the Kings, so how can he be an option above Gretzky?

The Leafs aren't really that tough, either, assuming you agree with the rankings of our recent top-100 list. Most of the greatest Leafs of all-time were career leafs (or, for all intents and purposes, they were). Apps made #45. Clancy made #44, but of course half his value came from his time as a Senator. Conacher was 55th and with 29% of his career games played in other jerseys you have to think he'd drop a handful of spots. Kennedy was 58th, Horton 65th, Broda 83rd, Salming 84th, and Keon (for whom some may assign some value to his by-no-means-meaningless final seven seasons) was 99th, surely out of the top-100 if you imagine he's a Leafs-only career.

There's some wiggle room based on personal preferences and how you discount time with other franchises, but it seems that Apps is an easy #1, followed by Conacher, Kennedy and Horton in some order, followed by Broda, Salming, Clancy and Keon in some order.

I am proud to say, that vaguely defined range I just definied, is exactly how the THN list shook out following my input.

Federko was so central to the 1980's Blues. He's got to be 1st or 2nd in consideration.

Hull was so central to the 1990s Blues. He's got to be 1st or 2nd in consideration.
Pronger and MacInnis were so central to the DPE Blues! They've got to be 1st or 2nd in consideration.

See how easy that was? The point is, there's only room for one player to be first. Was Federko even a top-20 player in the league while he was with the Blues? Hull was definitely a top-5 player for at least three straight seasons, arguably top-20 for a couple more. MacInnis and Pronger, as two of the top-5 defensemen in the league for about five seasons, were certainly top-20 players themselves.

No one produced more points per game or star power than Kariya (HAD to be said). More significantly, Ryan Getzlaf captained them to the Stanley Cup, leading the team in points in the championship run as well as two more conference final runs. I cannot fathom Selanne - minus his Winnipeg and other days - topping Getzlaf AS A DUCK!

Kariya probably did have more star power, but I think a lot of compelling arguments have been posted in this section in recent years that indicates not all of it was warranted. When they were together on the Ducks, their production was practically even: 1.26 to 1.22 for Kariya. Kariya produced 3% more per game, but Selanne played in 20% more games. Statistically, it would be fair to call them equals with sample size taken into account. But Kariya only put together one outstanding full season (1997), when he was 2nd in Hart voting, and Selanne had three: 3rd, 3rd and 5th.

If that was the end of Selanne's tenure as a Duck, it would be fair to call Kariya the better Duck. After all, he played 278 games as a Duck without Selanne, both before he arrived and after he left, scoring 255 points... that's not nothing. But then Selanne came back, played 572 more games and scored 506 more points in his late 30s and early 40s, and won a cup. Selanne wins this comparison so incredibly easily.

Selanne vs. Getzlaf is more interesting. It seemed clear two years ago in favour of Selanne, but two average seasons later, Getzlaf's counting stats have come very close to Selanne's. Still, he's played 18 more games and has 55 fewer points (49 adjusted). That only puts Selanne 2% ahead as a per-game producer, but he's kind of an all-time great goal scorer. I like his 3-3-5 Hart peak better than 2-6-7 as well.

While I dont disagree that Doan is one of those yotes players you think of when talking greatest yotes. I just dont think he is. I mean Ray Whitney, Khabibulin, Bryzgalov, Smith, OEL and Numminen are/were greater players than Doan. Hell, I'd say I rank Cliff Ronning ahead of him as well.

Phoenix includes the history of the Jets too, so you have Hawerchuk, Tkachuk, Numminen and Steen to contend with. Though, #2 after Hawerchuk would be fair for him IMO.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Phoenix includes the history of the Jets too, so you have Hawerchuk, Tkachuk, Numminen and Steen to contend with. Though, #2 after Hawerchuk would be fair for him IMO.

If we count the Jets Doan would slip further down. I mean... Selänne? Zhamnov? And if we extend the franchise to the WHA, Bobby Hull, Nilsson and Hedberg says hello. I dont think Doan makes my top-10 greatest jets/yotes players tbh.

I guess they were better off, after all, they were 3rd in the division, made the playoffs and went far. But was Wayne better off? He had the 2nd worst regular season of the first 18 years of his career. Missed half the season and when he played was only 14th in points per game.

The information in his ES scoring log for that season shows that in the regular season his main linemates were Robitaille and Granato, with Sandstrom and Donnelly secondary. In the playoffs, he was with Sandstrom from start to finish, with a mix on the other side (Robitaille and Rychel show up the most).

So he got some time with Robitaille this season, but it also wasn't excessive. they collaborated on just 23 ES goals the entire season and playoffs combined. Without going through every season I can't say if this was typical. But for the most part, it seems like this was a season where Gretzky carried lesser players like any other time - Granato, Donnelly, and Rychel prime among them. Never Kurri. And Sandstrom was OK but he was no Robitaille, and he was not driving the bus along with Wayne (not many would, of course).

Youre right about Kurri. He played more center at least in the playoffs. Mostly with Conacher/Rychel and Granato iirc. Been some time since I watched anything from 93. Then there were Donnelly and Millen.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
If we count the Jets Doan would slip further down. I mean... Selänne? Zhamnov? And if we extend the franchise to the WHA, Bobby Hull, Nilsson and Hedberg says hello. I dont think Doan makes my top-10 greatest jets/yotes players tbh.

Youre right about Kurri. He played more center at least in the playoffs. Mostly with Conacher/Rychel and Granato iirc. Been some time since I watched anything from 93. Then there were Donnelly and Millen.

there were lots of players in the history of the franchise who were better than Shane Doan but only one of them put the time in and that's Hawerchuk. I don't think anyone else did. I'm only talking about the NHL at this point, if you include Bobby Hull from the WHA then he might have a case there.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I think Cook and then Boucher is the right answer for the Rangers too. I pushed really hard to get THN to do it that way, but in the end they went halfway and put Cook 1st (to respect the 1998 list) and Boucher 4th.

What's the rational for having Cook over Boucher for the NYR? If anything I'd rather have Boucher ahead, given who brought it for real in the playoffs.

Between 26-27 and 34-35 (nine seasons), Boucher scored 350 points and Cook scored 344 points (they respectively played 408 and 410 games). Almost identical.

Cook has a slightly better Hart record but Boucher has that Lady Byng thing going on.

Maroons: Stewart 1st, Smith 2nd
NYA - easily Worters. Schriner easy 2nd.
Bulldogs - easily Malone.

Your choices raise some interesting questions. Do we treat "greatest player of all-time" differently from "greatest player for a franchise"? I don't think we should. To go back to my LA example, a Gretzky who only played from 1988-1996 would still be in the 60s all-time. Dionne only as a King, 60s-70s. Robitaille would be ~150th. And as much as I love giving defensemen their due, Doughty is not yet a top-100 player of all-time in a career played entirely for the Kings, so how can he be an option above Gretzky?

The Leafs aren't really that tough, either, assuming you agree with the rankings of our recent top-100 list. Most of the greatest Leafs of all-time were career leafs (or, for all intents and purposes, they were). Apps made #45. Clancy made #44, but of course half his value came from his time as a Senator. Conacher was 55th and with 29% of his career games played in other jerseys you have to think he'd drop a handful of spots. Kennedy was 58th, Horton 65th, Broda 83rd, Salming 84th, and Keon (for whom some may assign some value to his by-no-means-meaningless final seven seasons) was 99th, surely out of the top-100 if you imagine he's a Leafs-only career.

There's some wiggle room based on personal preferences and how you discount time with other franchises, but it seems that Apps is an easy #1, followed by Conacher, Kennedy and Horton in some order, followed by Broda, Salming, Clancy and Keon in some order.

I am proud to say, that vaguely defined range I just definied, is exactly how the THN list shook out following my input.

Forgot Worters !

The argument is championships and playoff contributions. That's why Kennedy and Doughty are arguably in the conversation for me. I wouldn't go to war for it though.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
there were lots of players in the history of the franchise who were better than Shane Doan but only one of them put the time in and that's Hawerchuk. I don't think anyone else did. I'm only talking about the NHL at this point, if you include Bobby Hull from the WHA then he might have a case there.

Agreed though in my post I did separate the two franchises, somewhat arbitrarily because Doan fitted flush with Phoenix so it was an opportunity to split them, a bit like Quebec and Colorado with Stastny and Sakic.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Hard to put in time into a franchise that has to sell of players that are too expensive. Even then, you mention Hawerchuk that put in less time than Numminen and Steen, both who you mentioned in your first post and both who were greater players than Doan. I feel Doan has ended up in the Daneyko section of players. Didn't do much but wouldn't lose you games and was cheap enough to keep even though you probably shouldve replaced him. Then people think they were good players because why else would a franchise keep them around for so long?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gretzky did play on a line with Robitaille a bit (which was unusual) towards the end of the 1992-93 season, but in the playoffs he rarely did. Nor with Kurri. His regular linemates from 1990 to 1993 were Sandstrom and Granato, but as Sandstrom was injured so much (as was Gretzky, in this period), the lines got juggled a lot. As I recall, in the playoffs, Wayne played with an assortment of wingers, but usually Sandstrom was one, and the other might have rotated a bit.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hanging by the blueline", as it pertains to spring 1993. Gretzky was no more taking risks offensively in spring 1993 than at any other time, possibly less so. He was also a regular penalty-killer.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't see how it would work that Robitaille could be the greatest King over Gretzky.
The word "greatest" can be interpreted differently. Gretzky's level in 1988-89, 1989-90, and 1990-91 (and sporadically thereafter) was obviously far ahead of Robitaille even at his best in 1992-93. But much of Wayne's 1991-92, his short 1993, 1993-94, 1995 (poor), and pre-trade 1995-96 (not great) are not at all far ahead of, and in a couple of cases well behind, Robitaille's best in 1992-93.

So, Gretzky had three late-prime seasons with the Kings, plus a couple of other very good post-prime seasons. But Robitaille had 10 prime seasons with the Kings, spread over a 14-year period. He then later finished his career with the Kings, even leading them in scoring as late as 2004, aged 38, twenty years after he was drafted! He's a "franchise player", drafted and developed by the Kings, beloved by the fanbase and his ex-teammates of different generations and current roster of players and management. Gretzky was purchased by the soon-to-be imprisoned team owner, and left 7.5 years later, dumping the team in the middle of a season to serve his own career, chasing free-agency money.

So, I'm just saying that fans of a team can interpret "greatest" in different ways. There's a point where you have to draw the line between "peak" season or ability and total franchise contribution (Gilmour and Sundin in Toronto being a good example).

Reactions: The Pale King

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I’ll try to do one for each team. I like the idea of this thread.

Anaheim: Selanne. It could have been Kariya if he stayed IMO.

Arizona: Doan

Boston: Orr

Buffalo: Perrault or Hasek. Hasek obliviously has the godly peak but I prefer the longevity of Perrault with the Sabres. It’s close.

Calgary: Iginla

Carolina: I’ll go with Francis due to the two stints.

Chicago: Tough one. I give Bobby Hull the slight edge over Mikita but I can see the argument for him.

Colorado: Sakic

Columbus: Rick Nash. Although I can see Seth Jones over taking it maybe one day.

Dallas: Modano.

Detroit: Howe.

Edmonton: Gretzky.

Florida: Gee, this is a tough one. I’ll go Luongo for two stints.

Los Angeles: Gretzky again. I know you could go Luc or Dionne, but Gretzky put the Kings on the map. I really wished he won a cup there.

Minnesota: Koivu

Montreal: Maurice Richard. So many choices.

Nashville: Shea Weber.

New Jersey: Another tough one. Toss up between Stevens, Brodeur and Niedermeyer. I go with Brodeur.

New York Islanders: Potvin.

New York Rangers: Messier. I think the 94 Cup puts him over the top.

Ottawa: Alfredsson.

Pittsburgh: Lemieux

Philadelphia: Clarke

St. Louis: Brett Hull

San Jose: Thornton

Tampa Bay: St. Louis

Toronto: Syl Apps!

Vegas: Fleury? Sure.

Washington: Ovechkin.

Winnipeg: I’m counting the old Jets history for this, so Hawerchuk. If I’m not, maybe Kolvachuk? But the current Jets don’t acknowledge them.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Greatest Sabre isn't as cut and dried as you would think. Hasek left in just about the most bitter fashion possible and after the infamous "I consider myself a Red Wing" comment (which I believe he now regrets) many Sabres fans view him very negatively and were actually quite upset when his number was retired. If you asked our fans who is the greatest Sabre ever Gil would win, and probably quite handedly.

Reactions: Tarantula

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
New Jersey: Another tough one. Toss up between Stevens, Brodeur and Niedermeyer. I go with Brodeur.

It's really not close.

Brodeur is easy #1 for NJ, since he spent his whole career there. Stevens easy #2. I actually prefer Elias over Niedermayer for #3, but I'm probably in the minority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad