GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Superstitions? Us? Naaah. Sabres 4-Stars 2 10/22/24

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Kulich deserves to stay, he doesn't look out of place at all, Quinn can sit and get his head out of his ass.

This team just needs to learn how to be consistent, disciplined, stick to the game plan. Play like you did last night and you are a playoff team.
Quinn may be playing himself to expendable status

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I mean.....he's 6 foot 6. If he doesn't hit as a big defenseman, he's useless. Can't do anything else well other than hit if you're a big defenseman.
Right. I mean if he were a brute to go along with his advanced offensive skill set, he'd have been regarded as generational like Dahlin was. Hard to find the 100% complete package.

I think we're all hoping that he at least rounds out his net front battle even if he never becomes a killer.

Still, he's off to a fantastic start this year as a freshly 21yo and looking the part of a top pick. Nitpickers gonna nitpick regardless I suppose.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think we're all hoping that he at least rounds out his net front battle even if he never becomes a killer.

I can see the progress in his physical game behind the net. He's become MUCH better at using his body to shield off attackers and get the puck up and/or out. It's quite noticeable to me the improvement in that specific area.

Yeah, he can be better netfront....totally agreed.....but given that he's starting to use his body along the boards, I gotta think that using his body netfront is next.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mean.....he's 6 foot 6. If he doesn't hit as a big defenseman, he's useless. Can't do anything else well other than hit if you're a big defenseman.

My sarcasm meter may be on the fritz but it spiked looking at this post.

:biglaugh:

Power just being efficient at tying up sticks and leaning on people to pin them out or box out around the net seems to be starting to happen. He need not murder anyone, just use that wingspan to engage and smother plays.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Re-watched some of it over lunch and this seemed to be Dahlin’s best offensive game of the season. There was definitely a lot more attack there, including the chance off the post in the first. Is it possible that Lindy is telling us most of the truth about injuries?
It was obvious to me that Dahlin's problem was injury and I think Lindy was completely truthful.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Somebody better tell the Hall of Fame committee to get Nick Lidstrom out of there because he didn't hit!
I get the point but I don't think he's ever a hall of famer or ever even comes close to Nick Lidstrom level.

Ekblad was a first overall defensemen, do you think he's hall of fame material?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm here to officially be stoned...:D
images

The Sheriff of Rock Ridge and the Waco Kid officially agree.

I thought the game was tonight. Caught the highlights. UPL didn't look like he was fighting the puck.

Am I correct in the below (NHL.com doesn't load correctly for me)
5v5 Sabres 3 Stars 0
6v5 Sabres 1 Stars 2 (all 3 goals Oettinger pulled)
Any other situations with either team with 3 or 4 skaters and a goalie - Sabres 0 Stars 0

the comments about the Sabres 5v5 play being just fine seem to continue to correlate.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I get the point but I don't think he's ever a hall of famer or ever even comes close to Nick Lidstrom level.

Ekblad was a first overall defensemen, do you think he's hall of fame material?

No one is trying to argue that Power is an eventual HOFer. That's never even come up in discussion. Lidstrom was brought up because he was a good defenseman (ok, far better than good) without being overly physical.

Ekblad is a good example of a fine defenseman who isn't overly physical that was taken 1st overall.

I still say Power's comp is an offensively hyper-charged Jay Bouwmeester. J-Bouw was never all that physical, but was positionally sound, could devour minutes and knew how to use his body even if he didn't punish others per se. Power is now showing real signs that he's learning how to use his body.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
No one is trying to argue that Power is an eventual HOFer. That's never even come up in discussion. Lidstrom was brought up because he was a good defenseman (ok, far better than good) without being overly physical.

Ekblad is a good example of a fine defenseman who isn't overly physical that was taken 1st overall.

I still say Power's comp is an offensively hyper-charged Jay Bouwmeester. J-Bouw was never all that physical, but was positionally sound, could devour minutes and knew how to use his body even if he didn't punish others per se. Power is now showing real signs that he's learning how to use his body.
+1. Yes I know that Power will never be Lidstrom it was more of a point that you can be effective at the highest possible level without being punishing.

Reactions: Zman5778

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Quinn may be playing himself to expendable status

We're only 8 games in. It hasn't been a good start for Quinn to say the least but he missed most of last season and he's still very young. Considering the few games he played last year he was one of our best players I'm just chalking it up to still some rust and he's no longer running on adrenaline. Happens with young players. I'm fine with him watching some from the press box but at this point he's far from expendable - that's way premature.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
At first I was like why are OP and Dahlin both below the dots at the same time in the offensive zone and then I couldn't stop smiling. I'm entertained and engaged and looking forward to the next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad