Movies: The Godfather Trilogy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I did both a "find on page" search of five pages and an advanced search. Nothing popped. Must have been dormant and lost in migration.

So I just watched Part 1 and Part 2. About to watch Part 3. I'm not doing this Coda. I'm watching the one people for decades accepted as the one cause it was the one. For better or worse.

If anyone has anything to talk about anymore with these movies, go ahead. If not, let this thread die off.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I know that Coppola doesn't really consider it a trilogy, but a duology and an epilogue. It was Paramount that insisted on calling the epilogue "Part III," for marketing reasons, though that also set up expectations that the film couldn't meet. When he recently re-cut it, he dropped the "Part III" and made the title "The Godfather Coda," followed by "The Death of Michael Corleone," which was the title that he originally wanted to give to the film.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Definitely watch Part 1 then Part 2. Don’t watch the blended version your first time through. You’re missing out on a ton of context.

Arguably the best movies ever made. A classic story that speaks to the heart of immigrants trying to make something of themselves. Hall of Fame cast and performances from all characters large and small.

Can’t speak highly enough about these two films.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Definitely watch Part 1 then Part 2. Don’t watch the blended version your first time through. You’re missing out on a ton of context.

Arguably the best movies ever made. A classic story that speaks to the heart of immigrants trying to make something of themselves. Hall of Fame cast and performances from all characters large and small.

I watched Part 1 and Part 2 yesterday and gave each the proper commitment.

They were worth my time which is lofty praise for 2:55 and 3:20 or whatever.

I'm 25 minutes into Part 3 and it sucks. It's not the same actor. I'm gonna watch it and all but this just ain't it. I hate the 16 year jump in real life.

ACLEVERNAME

HANDS
Jan 6, 2010
I schedule my visits to my parents place around The Godfather on AMC showings. Always makes for an easy calm visit. Must have watched the trilogy- commercials and all - a few hundred times now. It's nice. Fantastic cinema and a nice way to drown out the uncomfortable silence.

Reactions: John Price

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I schedule my visits to my parents place around The Godfather on AMC showings. Always makes for an easy calm visit. Must have watched the trilogy- commercials and all - a few hundred times now. It's nice. Fantastic cinema and a nice way to drown out the uncomfortable silence.

Gone in 60 Seconds used to be on AMC like 16 hours a day.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Godfather III is a step down from 1 + II. That being said, it is a terrific film in its own right. It has got a bad rap as it is not the picture that the first two are-but that's a massively high standard.

My Best-Carey

Sep 19, 2008
I watched the trilogy for the first time last year (had only seen 1 but never bothered to watch 2 or 3)

One is obviously exceptional but 2 really isn't that bad either. A young Robert De Niro as a young Don Corleone is great to see, I always love the moment with him and the Landlord. "Ask your friends about me, you'll see."

"The rent stays as before!"

3 is decent and not as bad as everyone says it is

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I am going to take a 16 year pause before trying to watch Part 3. I stopped to complain about it last night and haven't gotten back.

16 years is a slight exaggeration, but I want to let the freshness of Parts 1/2 wear waaaayyyyyyy off before mixing in with Part 3 again. It's too jarring.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I watched the trilogy for the first time last year (had only seen 1 but never bothered to watch 2 or 3)

One is obviously exceptional but 2 really isn't that bad either.
Really isn't that bad? Who in their right mind ever said it was bad. It's one of the best movies ever imo and probably the best sequel ever. It's widely thought of as being a great movie.

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
1 and 2 are two of the greatest movies every made. 3--was made for money and no other reason
I think it could have been a pretty cool ending just leaving it at Michael all alone, having just offed his brother, against the backdrop of how everyone else loved his Dad all the way till the end.

I bet nobody has ever had that thought eh? :laugh:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Never been a fan of the trilogy including one and two. Way too operatic and way too generous at glamourising scumbags for my taste. Pulp literature attempting to elevate itself into some kind of artistic achievement. Thumbs down for me on all three. Great production values, though, I'll grant them that.

Last edited:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Trying to make something of themselves ? more like cold-blooded murderers willing to eliminate their own family if it's for the money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad