OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I have to look into it. As of now I watched a YouTube channel do it. They’ve tried it different ways and say sous viding it is not a problem like people think and that it ends up fine.

At first glance online reactions to sous viding wagyu are mixed.
Okay, let me ask you this... What makes Wagyu standout as beef?

It's the marbling, unquestionably. I'm sure we all can agree here.

Sous vide will render all that fat marbling out leaving you with a dry piece of meat in the end.

The proteins that you want to sous vide should be lean. The method of cooking doesn't dry those out and it also works for the cuts with tough connective tissue that it breaks down well.

Wagyu fat renders very easily. You can feel it melt in your hand if the cut is of high quality. You do not want to lose that, trust me.

P.S. I mean, we're talking about $500 per kilo of genuine Wagyu beef imported from Japan. Treat that with the greatest care.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I have to look into it. As of now I watched a YouTube channel do it. They’ve tried it different ways and say sous viding it is not a problem like people think and that it ends up fine.

At first glance online reactions to sous viding wagyu are mixed.

After further consideration, I don't think there's a need to sous vide wagyu. Maybe try cutting it to a sushi thickness (1/4 inch) and sear it briefly super hot on one side only.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
After further consideration, I don't think there's a need to sous vide wagyu. Maybe try cutting it to a sushi thickness (1/4 inch) and sear it briefly super hot on one side only.
Depending on the cut's thickness i'd do 30s to 2min per side in a good cast iron skillet. Don't finish it in the oven like you would with most other cuts of beef.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Depending on the cut's thickness i'd do 30s to 2min per side in a good cast iron skillet. Don't finish it in the oven like you would with most other cuts of beef.

I've never cooked it, so personally I'd start with some small pieces to find the ideal sear/rawness ratio.

I'm thinking a high heat 2 minute sear would lose too much of the marbling you paid so much for. I'd be terrified. :laugh:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Okay, let me ask you this... What makes Wagyu standout as beef?

It's the marbling, unquestionably. I'm sure we all can agree here.

Sous vide will render all that fat marbling out leaving you with a dry piece of meat in the end.

The proteins that you want to sous vide should be lean. The method of cooking doesn't dry those out and it also works for the cuts with tough connective tissue that it breaks down well.

Wagyu fat renders very easily. You can feel it melt in your hand if the cut is of high quality. You do not want to lose that, trust me.

P.S. I mean, we're talking about $500 per kilo of genuine Wagyu beef imported from Japan. Treat that with the greatest care.

Oddly enough I’ve cooked wagyu and eaten it but never held it in my hand. Weird.

What I do know is I’ve seen sous vide with it done and plenty of success stories.

I guess it depends what I’m looking to do.

I did plan on slicing part of it and doing the traditional high heat sear.

I should be clear, if my contact comes through I shouldn’t be getting a single steak but an entire NY strip so I have options to play around with it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I've never cooked it, so personally I'd start with some small pieces to find the ideal sear/rawness ratio.
I liked Wagyu cooked rare, not even medium rare. It's so buttery that you want to keep that texture at all costs. Save for seasoning, a sear on the outside and maybe some thyme/butter basting (although it doesn't really need butter IMO), I'd want it in its purest form.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oddly enough I’ve cooked wagyu and eaten it but never held it in my hand. Weird.

What I do know is I’ve seen sous vide with it done and plenty of success stories.

I guess it depends what I’m looking to do.

I did plan on slicing part of it and doing the traditional high heat sear.

I should be clear, if my contact comes through I shouldn’t be getting a single steak but an entire NY strip so I have options to play around with it.

I'd suggest asking for paperwork confirming the meat's origin if I were you.

Also if the price seems to be too good to be true, you're not getting the real deal. It is very very difficult to obtain a genuine Wagyu beef in North America. The amount of it imported is minuscule.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

I'm thinking a high heat 2 minute sear would lose too much of the marbling you paid so much for. I'd be terrified. :laugh:
It really depends on your stove-top and the cut's thickness. high heat sear for a brief period of time won't render the fat out throughout the piece. It will instead char it on the outside locking in all those juices. I used to go by feel more than anything (the fist/palm method).

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'd suggest asking for paperwork confirming the meat's origin if I were you.

Also if the price seems to be too good to be true, you're not getting the real deal. It is very very difficult to obtain a genuine Wagyu beef in North America. The amount of it imported is minuscule.

I'm not getting it from a retailer but I could although it's not in Montreal if I do and I'm not crazy about the drive. The person I'm getting it from is a good friend of mine and this was a recent batch he shared with me:

17495267_1129459343832115_6660659570676858880_n.jpg

The only real question is if it's A5 Miyazaki Wagyu but I'm not that picky as Miyazaki won the most recent competition in Japan and if it's not that best of the best so be it.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I liked Wagyu cooked rare, not even medium rare. It's so buttery that you want to keep that texture at all costs. Save for seasoning, a sear on the outside and maybe some thyme/butter basting (although it doesn't really need butter IMO), I'd want it in its purest form.

I think ideally you have a 10% bluish centre, 35% rare on either side and the other 10% on each side make's up the crust and sub-crust, depending on the thickness, obviously.

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It really depends on your stove-top and the cut's thickness. high heat sear for a brief period of time won't render the fat out throughout the piece. It will instead char it on the outside locking in all those juices. I used to go by feel more than anything (the fist/palm method).

The thickness is critical. The piece in the photo looks to be about an inch. I'd blast it for 1 minute per side only. I use cast iron for indoor steaks which is ideal.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes, that's the gold mine. I can easily tell.

how much does it cost you if you don't mind me asking?

I PM'd you. The biggest problem with this is it's f***ing hard to get in Montreal to cook for yourself.

I have not seen a butcher in Montreal with it just yet although maybe there is someone and I haven't caught it.

I know of 2 US distributors in NJ and FLA which have A5 Miyazaki and both refuse to send it here due to customs issues.

I know of a place in Ontario which also holds A5 Miyazaki but they do not deliver.

I'm somewhat of a UFC fan so if my contact failed I was going to drive down to Toronto for UFC 231 in December and pick up Wagyu on way back.

I'm not a crazy foodie but I do know of 2 restaurants in Montreal that serve Wagyu. I believe Antonio Park was one of the first to bring it in his restaurants a while back, I know Gyu-Kaku has it on the menu on occasion as well. I haven't looked around enough to know if others have it but I am also unsure if they have A5.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I PM'd you. The biggest problem with this is it's ****ing hard to get in Montreal to cook for yourself.

I have not seen a butcher in Montreal with it just yet although maybe there is someone and I haven't caught it.

I know of 2 US distributors in NJ and FLA which have A5 Miyazaki and both refuse to send it here due to customs issues.

I know of a place in Ontario which also holds A5 Miyazaki but they do not deliver.

I'm somewhat of a UFC fan so if my contact failed I was going to drive down to Toronto for UFC 231 in December and pick up Wagyu on way back.

I'm not a crazy foodie but I do know of 2 restaurants in Montreal that serve Wagyu. I believe Antonio Park was one of the first to bring it in his restaurants a while back, I know Gyu-Kaku has it on the menu on occasion as well. I haven't looked around enough to know if others have it but I am also unsure if they have A5.

Before I became vegan I tried getting my hands on some Wagyu. Perhaps 5 or so years ago. At the time I couldn't find a supplier I could trust to deliver quality in all of North America. They few I knew carried it refused to ship it to me, even domestically (to a US address).

I only had authentic Wagyu in Japan. Only twice. The first cut was the Cadillac of cuts - a tomahawk steak we shared in Tokyo. The second time it was served raw.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I don’t doubt that Wagyu is exquisite, but I think it would be lost on me. There is a lot of stuff where I pursue quality, but I don’t think I take anything to that level. Must be because I’m a cheap cuss at heart, and usually to get to the top end of something it’s a massive step up.

It’s funny mentioning orchard fresh fruit. I grew up in a small town surrounded by farming, so it was a cheap luxury. Lots of families had a few trees in their yards which put out some good apples with minimal work.

My first job was on an orchard. The best is sweet corn cooked within a couple of hours of picking.

We had several now obscure strains of apples. Most varieties today are grown for output and longevity. Red Delicious always look good in the store, but most apple people sneer at them. When I buy apples now I’m stunned at how big they all are. I only eat a few apples a year now, when I buy them at the source. Those days spoiled me.

Kiwi when did you go vegan, and what health benefits have you achieved as a result?

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don’t doubt that Wagyu is exquisite, but I think it would be lost on me. There is a lot of stuff where I pursue quality, but I don’t think I take anything to that level. Must be because I’m a cheap cuss at heart, and usually to get to the top end of something it’s a massive step up.

It’s funny mentioning orchard fresh fruit. I grew up in a small town surrounded by farming, so it was a cheap luxury. Lots of families had a few trees in their yards which put out some good apples with minimal work.

My first job was on an orchard. The best is sweet corn cooked within a couple of hours of picking.

We had several now obscure strains of apples. Most varieties today are grown for output and longevity. Red Delicious always look good in the store, but most apple people sneer at them. When I buy apples now I’m stunned at how big they all are. I only eat a few apples a year now, when I buy them at the source. Those days spoiled me.

Kiwi when did you go vegan, and what health benefits have you achieved as a result?

I bought a Red Delicious a couple of days ago. It was a beautiful looking piece of fruit but honestly tasted like jicama. That unique Delicious flavour was not there at all.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Must've been 3-4 years ago, I can't recall the exact date anymore.

As I grew older I started noticing that my body struggled more and more processing animal proteins. I'd feel heavy and tired after meals, even if the food I ate wasn't greasy or processed. It took me a long time to realize the root cause of it, but I eventually did. So I stopped eating meat/seafood all together then.

I also developed lactose intolerance even earlier. So dairy was already out of the picture.

The only thing left was eggs and, ironically enough, eggs is what I still miss the most. I always loved breakfast, and I don't feel it's complete without eggs.

Since going vegan I have dropped my LDL cholesterol levels to nearly undetectable levels. Not that I was in a danger zone before (about 2.5 mmol/L). But what I got out of my new eating habits the most is energy. I can now stuff myself with an obscene amount of plant-based food at lunch and still have enough jump to go about the rest of my day without feeling groggy or sleepy. It resulted in so much more efficiency at work and home that I sometimes feel like I've been re-born to be honest.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I'm not getting it from a retailer but I could although it's not in Montreal if I do and I'm not crazy about the drive. The person I'm getting it from is a good friend of mine and this was a recent batch he shared with me:

View attachment 137217

The only real question is if it's A5 Miyazaki Wagyu but I'm not that picky as Miyazaki won the most recent competition in Japan and if it's not that best of the best so be it.

Nice knife!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

As I grew older I started noticing that my body struggled more and more processing animal proteins. I'd feel heavy and tired after meals, even if the food I ate wasn't greasy or processed. It took me a long time to realize the root cause of it, but I eventually did. So I stopped eating meat/seafood all together then.

You were spot on, in synch with a leading trend from Brazil's food guide. In 2015, one site noted:

Brazil’s food guide got a radical overhaul last year that we should all pay attention to. The new guide categorizes foods based on how processed they are, rather than what they’re made of.

Canada's Food Guide has many flaws but among them, this one of significance:

There are almost no recommendations to avoid processed foods, except to limit those containing trans and saturated fats. This despite overwhelming evidence that ultra-processed foods are the culprit behind many of the nation’s health problems, including obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer. ...

Brazil made radical changes to its food guide. Unlike most national food guides, which categorize foods based on type (grains, vegetables, dairy, etc.), Brazil has categorized foods based on processing. Their four food categories are:

1. naturally or minimally processed foods;
  2. oils, fats, salt and sugar;
  3. processed foods (these include bread, cheeses, cured meats and pickles); and
  4. ultra-processed foods.
Even more radical than these new categories are the recommendations attached to them. Naturally or minimally processed foods are to make up the basis of a person’s diet. Oils, fats, salt and sugar are to be used in moderation. Processed foods should be limited. Ultra-processed foods should be avoided altogether.

Why You Should Ignore Canada's Food Guide and Follow Brazil's Instead

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I also developed lactose intolerance even earlier. So dairy was already out of the picture.

The only thing left was eggs and, ironically enough, eggs is what I still miss the most. I always loved breakfast, and I don't feel it's complete without eggs.

Since going vegan I have dropped my LDL cholesterol levels to nearly undetectable levels. Not that I was in a danger zone before (about 2.5 mmol/L). But what I got out of my new eating habits the most is energy. I can now stuff myself with an obscene amount of plant-based food at lunch and still have enough jump to go about the rest of my day without feeling groggy or sleepy. It resulted in so much more efficiency at work and home that I sometimes feel like I've been re-born to be honest.

People are such interesting creatures: some can feel energized by certain diets, while others feel groggy and tired. What I don't like about nutrition science is that studies are run based on averages and statistical precision. These get reported and understood as ''diet x is better for your health than diet y.'' When in reality, in any large study, I guarantee you there were several jabroni in group y who were responding extremely well to diet y, and may not even respond well at all to diet x. But the findings will tell them to follow diet x. I think it would be interesting to do a study where you then took the best and worse responders from each diet, and had them switch to the other diet to see what would happen. Then, perhaps using genetic analysis, try to cluster the responders to each diet.

We could then say ''if you're in this category, you might respond really well to this diet.'' But as of right now the situation is that you might switch to a vegetarian or vegan diet and experience what you've experienced: energy, pep, better blood work, and health. Or you could experience what I did: hunger, lower energy, irritability, poor skin, and lower sex drive.

Just to take an anecdotal example, though I am not a lobster-person, I was listening to Jordan Peterson talk about his diet which is: beef, salt, and various kinds of water. He's lost 50 pounds and said he's never felt better. He was convinced to try it by his daughter who had debilitating arthritis and depression which suspiciously left when she switched to the carnivore diet. Now, this is not just anecdotal, it's also hearsay, but it's also extremely interesting. Maybe some people are just plant eaters, and some others are just carnivores.

It's nice to hear that you're having such wonderful results with veganism, though.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
I PM'd you. The biggest problem with this is it's ****ing hard to get in Montreal to cook for yourself.

Queue de Cheval have this on their menu for a long time.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
All this meat talk...
I'm taking my girlfriend to a michelin starred meat place here in hong kong called beefbar.
Gonna hit the tasting menu, looks quite tasty.
American Prime Black Angus tartare...Australian M5 Black angus short rib tataki...Japanese A5 Hyogo tajima kobe...Korean 1++ Short horn Hanwoo striploin..
Salivating at the thought already..

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad