Confirmed with Link: The Flyers re-sign center Adam Hall to 1-year contract (report: $600,000)

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
wonder if there is any interest in Powe?

Powe Hall Rinaldo is a 4th line that can take a regular shift.

It's just hard to view Talbot as a 3rd line winger in this scenario. Was hoping the 3rd line would be a counter-punching threat as opposed to a standard shutdown and turtle line.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I wonder if this means that Laughton is going to be the third line center and Couturier is being moved?

Lol no. Laughton probably goes back to junior. Or he makes the lineup because he beats out Hall. Or he's traded in a package. Couts>>>>Laughton.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I wonder if this means that Laughton is going to be the third line center and Couturier is being moved?

It's hard to see the final picture right now. I think the Flyers just wanted to get a cheap defensively strong C/W. It's a piece in a more elaborate puzzle that we'll see play out over the next several weeks.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, it's probably just a case of the Flyers having options, but I think there is still a clear interest in bringing in a #1 defenseman. Who knows what's going to happen?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This doesn't mean anything other than Adam Hall is going to make $600,000 over the next year.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's just hard to view Talbot as a 3rd line winger in this scenario. Was hoping the 3rd line would be a counter-punching threat as opposed to a standard shutdown and turtle line.

Talbot has show that he can score a bit, on a line with Couturier and Read he can contribute.

Talbot is a very versatile player. He is not glued to 1 role , but the caphit with no clear role on the team could make him expendable.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I thought for sure laughton was gonna make the team. I do think this lowers his chance abit. Laughton can win faceoffs and overall plays like a center. Dont know how he would do at wing. Might be better to let him play one more season in ohl.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I thought for sure laughton was gonna make the team. I do think this lowers his chance abit. Laughton can win faceoffs and overall plays like a center. Dont know how he would do at wing. Might be better to let him play one more season in ohl.

I think they want to be patient with him. I like Laughton but he doesn't have that defensive acumen like Couts had coming out of Junior. No reason to rush. It's good to sign a veteran reliable guy like Hall. You know what you're going to get with him. In Laughtons case you don't know. Even then if he has an impressive camp and preseason he could find himself on the roster.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

The signing is for one year so Laughton being pushed to wing isn't a big deal. Richards played 4th line wing his first year up too. And wasn't Hall playing some wing last year with the Flyers too?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That would probably be awful.

beef look how this is unfolding. Do you really see a way couturier can stay here long term?

His fate for the next 5 years is 3rd line center. Once he gets a reputation as a 3rd line he will have no trade value. Right now he still has "potential" and teams see him as " a top 6 center" .

I know he would look good in a shutdown role, but you dont draft shutdown centers 8th in the draft.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
beef look how this is unfolding. Do you really see a way couturier can stay here long term?

His fate for the next 5 years is 3rd line center. Once he gets a reputation as a 3rd line he will have no trade value. Right now he still has "potential" and teams see him as " a top 6 center" .

I know he would look good in a shutdown role, but you dont draft shutdown centers 8th in the draft.

If Couturier can hold down the 3rd line center role for 3 yrs or so (at which point he'll be 23 going on 24) he'll be able to take over at 2nd C. By that point Vinny will be 36 going on 37 so he can slide over to wing. Laughton will then take over 3rd C responsibilities (from 4th line or wing). I actually think this is playing pretty smart/patient. Having a 22 year old as the 2nd C on a contending team is putting a lot of pressure on the kid, 23/24 is the perfect age IMO.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I think they want to be patient with him. I like Laughton but he doesn't have that defensive acumen like Couts had coming out of Junior. No reason to rush. It's good to sign a veteran reliable guy like Hall. You know what you're going to get with him. In Laughtons case you don't know. Even then if he has an impressive camp and preseason he could find himself on the roster.

The trouble is this: Scott Laughton according to Paul Holmgren has nothing left to prove at the OHL level. He's too young for the AHL. Now, having already established that he is too good to keep improving at the OHL level, you send him pack there?

Here's my list of likelihoods:

1. Laughton is the 4C
2. Laughton plays as a third line winger
3A. One of Laughton or Couturier is traded
3B. Laughton is sent back to Juniors

This is yet another example of why the NHL-CHL agreement sucks for player development.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011

This is under the supposition that LeCavelier couldn't play a wing. I think he could in a few years. A ton could happen over the next couple seasons which changes the outlook for Sean and the rest of the team. I don't think or the VL deal mean anything is imminent, but it does increase options should a good deal present itself.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Jordan Staal fetched a pretty big return.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
This doesn't really mean Hall is going to play every game. This could just be adding some depth in case of injuries. Doesn't mean anyone is getting moved. He could be a healthy scratch most games for all we know.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Jordan Staal fetched a pretty big return.

Staal had the benefit of playing pp and occassionally winger with malkin and crosby that helped his point total. And to think that Couturier has shown anything similar to Staal is farfetched.

I was hoping they would put Couturier with Voracek. Couturier needs a winger like voracek, pat kane, MSL. Those wingers are playmaking centers from the wing, and centers who struggle on offense need those type of guys to put up ev pts. Couturier has shown that he is a defensive stalwart, I love that about him but if he is ever going to have a 60 pt season he is going to need a voracek as a winger to possess the puck in the zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad