The Flames are the worst at player development

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Every team has situations they can complain about. Columbus is the opposite. They bring kids in and if they are high picks they let them play in the NHL for better or worse. Sillinger clearly needs development time and shouldnt be in the NHL. Bemstrom was given a spot when he came over and had shown many times AHL time would be good. Chinakhov looked lost at times last year but pretty amazingly turned into a completely different player this year but now doesnt get enough icetime like Johnson

Feel like thats been a long term problem for them. Especially post lockout.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
See the thing of it is, I am not even convinced that its entirely a development issue. They have lots of guys who've looked really good in the AHL.

The problem is the Flames are allergic to bringing them up to the NHL and giving them minutes. Which, I realize is also part of player development so I might just be arguing semantics.

I guess my point is I think they do know how to develop prospects, they are just terrified of giving them the reigns.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Calgary Flames are the one team team in the NHL that absolutely refuses to put any young players/prospects in their lineup on a regular basis and it's absolutely infuriating to watch.

Guys like Lucic, Lewis and Zadorov continue to get regular top minutes while guys like Pelletier, Phillips and Zary are playing really good in the AHL but are not getting called up to get a shot in the NHL even though they would really be an upgrade right now.

This team is old and slow while everyone else in the league is young and fast. That's making for some really bad hockey from this team right now.
Pelletier was supposed to have a spot nearly locked up going into camp according to most people. He had an awful camp though. Some of their defensemen are guys they brought up in the system, so its not like none of their prospects make it. But yes, they do like their veterans. That's Sutter for ya. It won them a lot of games last year. This year, it's too early to tell.

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
Totally agree with OP. I will say though that the Flames have actually been able to develop players quite nicely in the AHL and have them produce (see Anderssen, Mangiapane, Kylington, Dube), but they fail at transitioning most others to the NHL successfully i.e. slotting them into the lineup in a manner to which they can succeed and reach their potential. The mantra is "never given, always earned" which I am ok with. But they have to actually give the prospects a chance to properly succeed and earn that (top 6 or 9) spot. Hard for anyone to produce on the 4th line playing with plugs and losing confidence every shift.

Super frustrating to watch since what the team needs right now is exactly that energy and speed that prospects with upside and looking to make the NHL can offer.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Lastyear fans were upset that Zary wasn't getting topline minutes in the AHL. Now that he is, fans are upset that he's not in the NHL yet?
Common trend here is fans get upset about things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad