The Fire Boucher Movement

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Every coach has their pets/favourites (e.g Komarov w/ Babcock) but is there a more stubborn and adamant coach in his ways than Boucher in the league?

Consistently playing Hoffman in his bottom 6, throwing Pyatt/Burrows/Thompson/Smith too far up in his lineup. Refusing to play a top3 prospect in the league in a comfortable or consistent position.

He's following the same trajectory arc as he did in Tampa. He shouldn't last after this season if our results stay consistent imo.

So, what are your thoughts;
do we keep Boucher?
if we fire him, who do we hire?

discuss along with any other coaching improvements that could be made.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Tired of a new coach every two years frankly. If Boucher goes, Dorion and Lee need to go too. Tired of the coach being the only one who takes the fall around here.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Tired of a new coach every two years frankly. If Boucher goes, Dorion and Lee need to go too. Tired of the coach being the only one who takes the fall around here.
i was just thinking actually about how Dorion has gone from a GMOTY candidate to seemingly being one of the most incompetent executives in the league over the course of one summer. I agree their needs to be a change in executive. Cleaning house might be necessary but I'm not confident with Boucher at the helm to start next season either.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No need to fire anybody now. Wait till the offseason.

a bit off topic, I do find it odd that we have a GM who is so high on prospects and how great they are/will be that he got the nickname PR Dorion, but he hired a coach that seems to have a severe allergy to giving young players icetime.

To me, adaptability is a key trait to success. This season started off ok, even with some long term issues, but that skid was pretty bad and as a result nobody is willing to overlook things like rookie usage, how we seem to go into a defensive shell far to early (and too passive) and the terrible PP. I'm ok with waiting and seeing if by the end of the year, the causes of our issues is identified and Boucher is able to adapt.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
No need to fire anybody now. Wait till the offseason.

a bit off topic, I do find it odd that we have a GM who is so high on prospects and how great they are/will be that he got the nickname PR Dorion, but he hired a coach that seems to have a severe allergy to giving young players icetime.

To me, adaptability is a key trait to success. This season started off ok, even with some long term issues, but that skid was pretty bad and as a result nobody is willing to overlook things like rookie usage, how we seem to go into a defensive shell far to early (and too passive) and the terrible PP. I'm ok with waiting and seeing if by the end of the year, the causes of our issues is identified and Boucher is able to adapt.
so far boucher has made no effort to adapt by the looks of it, which is why people like me are starting to call for his head. his mismanagement of players/assets is super questionable and there's no stats or eye test that backs it up it seems. dunno what's going on his head to justify his decision making

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think the fact that the playoffs were not selling out was indicative of the boring style of play. The team grossly overachieved last season. The system was able to shore up the lack of talent, but only for so long. Now it's obvious to everyone that this isn't a very good team and the style of play is not in tune with how hockey is trending.

Every time PD talks, I'm not sure if he's trying to convince the listener or himself.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I have supported Dorion throughout and it turns out we were both wrong about a lot and now we've got a bunch of overpaid boat anchors from goaltending out. I really hope we get a new owner at some point and the whole damn house gets cleaned out at some point, I think its time. I'm not on the fire Boucher train right now, who cares the season is lost and he appears to at least be a little open to playing young guys down the stretch.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I can't say I fully disagree with people's issues with how Boucher has operated this season, specifically how it pertains to his usage of younger players, but right now we are at the point where I don't think putting young players in the line up for the sake of putting young players in the line up is necessarily beneficial to development. As such, I won't be too concerned with keeping inexperienced 18, 19, 20, 21 year olds away from the circus. I'm not saying don't insert guys like White and Chlapik, among others, (I'll exclude Chabot, as I am ready to consider him a permanent roster player), however the other side of the same coin is protecting the organization's young assets from toxicity that usually comes with a team falling out of the playoff picture. I'm not anti-Boucher - I am in the boat that the Sens can't keep firing coaches every other year and I do think he's a good coach mostly - but I will admit I wish the roster had the youthful injection when there was still a season to salvage. Showcase the future, but at this point, carefully. There are a lot of bad vibes at 1000 Palladium these days.

Don't confuse my position with one that doesn't want to see what's in the pipe, I just worry about possible damage that comes with it. I can't argue with the issues people have with roster deployment to date, but going forward until the season mercifully ends, you have to consider the negatives that come from putting inexperienced players in these situations. Agreed with Micklebot that there's no point firing the coach now, but it will be interesting to see how the bench is handled if/when the Senators start to topple further.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
I can't say I fully disagree with people's issues with how Boucher has operated this season, specifically how it pertains to his usage of younger players, but right now we are at the point where I don't think putting young players in the line up for the sake of putting young players in the line up is necessarily beneficial to development. As such, I won't be too concerned with keeping inexperienced 18, 19, 20, 21 year olds away from the circus. I'm not saying don't insert guys like White and Chlapik, among others, (I'll exclude Chabot, as I am ready to consider him a permanent roster player), however the other side of the same coin is protecting the organization's young assets from toxicity that usually comes with a team falling out of the playoff picture. I'm not anti-Boucher - I am in the boat that the Sens can't keep firing coaches every other year and I do think he's a good coach mostly - but I will admit I wish the roster had the youthful injection when there was still a season to salvage. Showcase the future, but at this point, carefully. There are a lot of bad vibes at 1000 Palladium these days.

Don't confuse my position with one that doesn't want to see what's in the pipe, I just worry about possible damage that comes with it. I can't argue with the issues people have with roster deployment to date, but going forward until the season mercifully ends, you have to consider the negatives that come from putting inexperienced players in these situations. Agreed with Micklebot that there's no point firing the coach now, but it will be interesting to see how the bench is handled if/when the Senators start to topple further.
Oh I completely agreeing axeing him now won't do much. I'm more interested in seeing him gone in the off-season so we can plan a future that has insight on more than the current season.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well, if Chabot finishes the year, he won't be a rookie and maybe Boucher will play him more next year!

I think Boucher will stay. Ride this out one way or another, I don't want a new coach to mask the issues we have.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
We can only dream about a new owner, gm, and coach. I don't think EM going anywhere soon, and as long as he stays on, PD will. GB is PD's guy, so no way that he gets canned. Coaching changes on this team has been like customers going through a cheap whore housel! Changing coaches every 2 years hasn't worked out, so I don't think there is a lot of appetite to do it again.

What's the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result. I guess we could apply this to different areas of the team.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
not yet, finish the tank off with Boucher, he will probs get a short leash to start next season as well.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We just need a top to bottom clean out.

New owner
New front office - get em all out
New Coach

New owner hires a competent front office
Competent front office hires a competent head coach; makes smart moves
Competent head coach wins games; is flexible; is not afraid to play young players; encourages entertaining hockey (re: winning)

I asked for these things for Christmas. Santa didn’t deliver. Birthday’s coming up. Hope I get one of these things.

#everyoneout

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I hope he's gone in the offseason. If we draft top 3 that player won't see a lick of ice time with Boucher at the helm.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Let go of Boucher and hire a real chimpanzee to work as a puppet under Marc Crawford. Make the chimp look cute with a suit and everything. The media attention would be huge and attendance would surely increase. If the chimp is successful Melnyk could sell the movie rights to fund Karlsson's contract extension.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We just need a top to bottom clean out.

New owner
New front office - get em all out
New Coach

New owner hires a competent front office
Competent front office hires a competent head coach; makes smart moves
Competent head coach wins games; is flexible; is not afraid to play young players; encourages entertaining hockey (re: winning)

I asked for these things for Christmas. Santa didn’t deliver. Birthday’s coming up. Hope I get one of these things.

#everyoneout

The whole fire everyone probably isn’t great, because there are most likely some good people. A complete evaluation of the organization should be in order. I don’t want good people fired. Trent Mann is supposedly a good scout. He shouldn’t leave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad