The Devils vs. The waiver wire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJags

Oct 1, 2007
Given our penchant for players leaving and then coming back, I actually don't know if I actually fear losing Urbom. His upside so far has really just been his shot, which hasn't even produced much in point totals anyway. And considering he's never even finished a season anywhere as a + professionally..we'd be losing potential.

Harrold has proven he's game to do what the team needs of him, as evidenced by this time at wing. Where, I think it's hard to argue, he did a pretty damn good job at grinding.

Capability over potential. Urbom could always make his way back.

Not being a + player on terrible Albany teams is not a huge deal for me, he had one of the better +/- on the team for the last couple years. I think the issue is Urbom is the only physical young D we have that could potentially slot in if Sal or Volchenkov get hurt. Harrold fills more of a puck moving position and we'd have Gelinas, Merrill, etc that could come for that.

My opinion, I guess we'll find out soon enough what the plan is.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Gionta's a 20 point 4th line center who most GMs probably think is a good 2-way player because he does all the usual forechecking/hitting/gritty stuff well. I definitely won't say he'll get picked up for sure (I remember being sure that Zharkov wouldn't clear :laugh:), but he got a reputation pretty quickly and I wouldn't be surprised to see some team take a shot on him, especially for free.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Here are the waiver rules:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap#Exemptions

Urbom signed his ELC at 19, so he is waiver exempt based upon the fact he has to be 4 years in the NHL, and his 'first' season has to consist of playing 11 games in the NHL. He hasn't done that yet.

Tedenby has to clear waivers because he played 58 games in 2010 when he signed his first contract when he was 20, so the clock has started on his 'seasons' and this would be his fourth.

I think Yayo has to clear because he signed when he was 19, and played 28 games in 2010, so that's his first year - which makes this his 4th.

Edit - someone could check my logic on the above, but I think I'm right...

For what it's worth - I think Gelinas starts the year in the AHL until someone gets dinged. Urbom starts there too, because he doesn't have to clear.

McJags

Oct 1, 2007
Capgeek's waiver calculator has Urbom as Not waiver exempt since he has played over 10 NHL games and is in his 4th year. He would have to go on waivers.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Anyways, I cut Gionta and Barch. Barring a trade Gelinas starts in Albany and will be first call up when a defensemen gets injured.

And sign Brunner

This would be my preference too. Though my ideal scenario would be Volch getting traded and Gelinas taking that spot.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
No chance Merrill makes the team unless he seriously outplays almost everyone in the remaining preseason games. Urbom and Gelinas are ahead of him on the depth chart, they've both had more experience defending professional players, and both of them have shown they can play through a full season of 70+ games. Jon Merrill's played 52 organized games since 2011.

I didn't mean any of that to sound snarky, just trying to educate. A lot of us have really high hopes for Merrill, but the Devils' log jam on defense is such that Merrill would have to blow the coaching staff away to really be considered.

Thank you very much for the info.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
based on pete’s comments, I think its more like severson makes the team over merrill.
That would frustrate me. Not because I don't think Severson is good, or going to be good, because he's not that bad right now and is going to be better, but because Urbom and Gelinas should get any open roster spots on defense.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That would frustrate me. Not because I don't think Severson is good, or going to be good, because he's not that bad right now and is going to be better, but because Urbom and Gelinas should get any open roster spots on defense.

agreed, but...pete's gonna pete

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I don't think either will this year. But who knows with pete, so there's that too..

And Jagr and being injured still makes me laugh

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
If we could waive Volch that would be nice, or trade for a pick, if possible. Anything really. Allow room for Harrold and Gelinas/Urbom to stay and frees up some cap to sign Brunner without worrying about the bonus cushion.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
At this point I would waive Volchenkov. If there aren't any takers, I'd offer him in a trade while the Devils keep 1/3 of the salary or another fraction.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Henrique-Zajac-Ryder
Elias-Loktionov-Jagr
Clowe-Zubrus-Brunner
Carter-Josefson-Bernier
Olesz

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
Gelinas-Fayne

Too many forwards!

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
Henrique-Zajac-Ryder
Elias-Loktionov-Jagr
Clowe-Zubrus-Brunner
Carter-Josefson-Bernier
Olesz

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
Gelinas-Fayne

Too many forwards!

I would swap Brunner and Loktionov. Slide Elias to center on that line.

Too bad we are never getting rid of Volch that easily.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

At this point I would waive Volchenkov.

This.

Why not waive the guy since we have 2 or 3 better options in the system? The real question is this... do we pay Volchenkov to hurt our team by playing or do we pay Volchenkov to not hurt our team while utilising a better player that will cost us close to the minimum and actually make us a better club?

The answer seems pretty obvious.

For those who would say "It'll give us a bad rep if we want to sign other pending UFA's?". I'll answer that by saying "If you play well, there's no need to worry about a thing but in #28's situation, we all know that isn't the case".

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This.

Why not waive the guy since we have 2 or 3 better options in the system? The real question is this... do we pay Volchenkov to hurt our team by playing or do we pay Volchenkov to not hurt our team while utilising a better player that will cost us close to the minimum and actually make us a better club?

The answer seems pretty obvious.

For those who would say "It'll give us a bad rep if we want to sign other pending UFA's?". I'll answer that by saying "If you play well, there's no need to worry about a thing but in #28's situation, we all know that isn't the case".

I trust Lou to make a decision to benefit the team on the ice. Obviously he'd need to clear this with the moneymen but I don't think it's an issue. They would be waiving Volchenkov and paying him not to play in favor of someone making less than a million. If they waived Volch and signed someone for $1 mil plus then it's a problem.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
At this point I would waive Volchenkov. If there aren't any takers, I'd offer him in a trade while the Devils keep 1/3 of the salary or another fraction.

thats what im saying, everyone seems to be under the assumption he will be bought out next year regardless. why not figure out the buyout penalty and shop him around with the idea of retaining that amount and get whatever we can.

going to have to pay that amount anyways, at least get something for it.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
So there's 10 days basically to go until rosters have to be finalized (Sept. 30th). Assuming Lou doesn't make a move before then, what do the Devils do with their roster and the waiver wire?

Do they keep Tedenby, Urbom and Josefson so they don't have to put them through waivers? Or do they take a chance? Assuming nobody is put on IR (Jagr, Clowe, Tedenby) what would you like to see them do and what do you think they'll do?

For me I think Harrold should be put on waivers for sure, better chance he clears. For forwards, I think you put Barch and Gionta on waivers as there's more upside with the younger guys.

Good picks. I'm not a real big fan of Harrold and do not want to lose any of our Swedes.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

thats what im saying, everyone seems to be under the assumption he will be bought out next year regardless. why not figure out the buyout penalty and shop him around with the idea of retaining that amount and get whatever we can.

going to have to pay that amount anyways, at least get something for it.

Would you give up as much as a 5th round pick for a guy that will drag your defensive unit to the ground?

I wouldn't give Rod Pelley for #28. If I'm taking #28, I'm asking for additional compensation like the Sharks asked when we traded them Malahkov (circumstances weren't the same but you know what I mean).

Volchenkov is the elephant in the room (he's been that for the past 2 or 3 years IMO) and the only reason he's still around is his contract.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Would you give up as much as a 5th round pick for a guy that will drag your defensive unit to the ground?

I wouldn't give Rod Pelley for #28. If I'm taking #28, I'm asking for additional compensation like the Sharks asked when we traded them Malahkov (circumstances weren't the same but you know what I mean).

Volchenkov is the elephant in the room (he's been that for the past 2 or 3 years IMO) and the only reason he's still around is his contract.

I guess if the Organization doesn't care about upsetting a vet, they should waive him as others have suggested.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
sharks lost torres for a minute. maybe they'd want one of our surplus guys as a stop-gap for a pick or 2?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

im saying this under the idea he is being bought out either way next year, figure out the penalty and retain it. if no one is interested so be it, it will just end up being what everyone thought regardless.

and i know he is bad, saying no one would trade a broken stick for him is one thing, but to say he can't 3rd pair any defense in the league if someone decides to take him is pushing it. prolly won't be moved but that would be the only way possible if it happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad