Player Discussion The Definitive Danton Heinen Poll

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Your opinion of Danton Heinen as a Bruin.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Some fans had the same issue with David Krejci- he wasn't one to wear his heart on his jersey sleeve either. You couldn't tell by looking at him if the Bruins were up 10-0 or down 10-0.

I'm not comparing the two as players so everybody chill the f*** out. But there is a similarity in temperament there.
I don’t think the temperament is the same or at least the underlying emotion.

46 was way way tougher, he WOULD hit , he would battle back when cheap shotted or antagonized. When behind on the scoreboard and frustrated he’d be occasionally testy. In crucial moments you could see him visibly amp up his game. All of this in a subtle manner, but it was there.

Heinen avoids contact and if hit looks like he’s going to cry. And doesn’t show any outward sense of desperation in crucial times.

I know we all see things from our own lens, but To me very different by personas and temperament.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Krejci still had his moments. At times very physically involved and always produced in the playoffs. Heinen is complementary of complementary players and merely adequate at everything rather than any strengths. His first time around he simply had to not be afraid of contact and he may have had a Boston career.

At this point, the upside and potential of prospects far outweighs whatever safety floor he can provide. Nothing against the person, just the style of player. Adopt a Loui Eriksson toughness, even. Net front presence.

David Krejci has 3 career NHL fights. Danton Heinen doesn't have 3 career pillow fights.

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Heinen avoids contact and if hit looks like he’s going to cry. And doesn’t show any outward sense of desperation in crucial times.

I know we all see things from our own lens

Some certainly see things from their own lens.

I'd certainly love to see a compilation of these said moments.

Because most of Danton Heinen's moments have been rather forgettable for me. I mean this in the most neutral way possible. And that's probably for the best for a guy in his role.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Some certainly see things from their own lens.

I'd certainly love to see a compilation of these said moments.

Because most of Danton Heinen's moments have been rather forgettable for me. I mean this in the most neutral way possible. And that's probably for the best for a guy in his role.
I think you misread. My comments on heinen were avoids contact and shows zero sense of desperation in critical moments. So, like you say, very forgettable.

Reactions: GordonHowe

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I think you misread. My comments on heinen were avoids contact and shows zero sense of desperation in critical moments. So, like you say, very forgettable.
No, I think I read correctly, the write up sounded a little bit... extra. Felt like an over exaggeration and at this point punching down. "Looks like he's gonna cry"? I mean if that's what you saw, sure. I just don't remember that.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Heinen haters, I hate to tell you this, but if tonight showed anything, it is that Heinen is better than our "depth"--or maybe that's death--forwards. Mclovin did not hurt them, but other than that, Brown, Steen and even Boquvist were not good.

Agreed.

But Hes still no slam dunk.

My take:

Obvious: Marchand, JDB, Coyle, Pasta, Geekie, Frederic, Lucic, JVR, Zacha

Likely: Lauko

Last 2/3: Poitras, Beecher, Boqvist, Merkulov, McLaughlin, Brown, Heinen

I don’t know enough about the cap, so I have no idea if the contracted guys have any advantage over Heinen because of that.

Aside from Brown in that last group, I can’t say I’d rather see Heinen over any of them.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Agreed.

But Poitras sticking could be a problem, along with Boqvist having a contract already.

My take:

I don’t know enough about the cap, so I have no idea if the contracted guys have any advantage over Heinen because of that.

Aside from Brown in that last group, I can’t say I’d rather see Heinen over any of them.
Boqvist having a contract really doesn’t mean anything. Steen has a contract. Richard has a contract. Brown too. If Boqvist isn’t good enough you waive. Hard to see him getting claimed this time of year.

Could be some creative things coming…Sweeney/Gold have a knack for it…

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Boqvist having a contract really doesn’t mean anything. Steen has a contract. Richard has a contract. Brown too. If Boqvist isn’t good enough you waive. Hard to see him getting claimed this time of year.

What if they send down a few contracted guys?

I read somewhere on here that it would be bad to send Forbort down because some of his salary would still go toward the cap.

I understand that sending one cheap guy like Boqvist might not hurt, but what if it’s 2-3 “cheap guys” whose contracts add up to a few million?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

It’s a good time to waive that’s for sure. Lots of guys will hit waivers and not a lot of teams can afford to add players

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What if they send down a few contracted guys?

I read somewhere on here that it would be bad to send Forbort down because some of his salary would still go toward the cap.

I understand that sending one cheap guy like Boqvist might not hurt, but what if it’s 2-3 “cheap guys” whose contracts add up to a few million?
If they make less than $1.125M there’s no cap implications. Just cash.

Reactions: sarge88

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Some fans had the same issue with David Krejci- he wasn't one to wear his heart on his jersey sleeve either. You couldn't tell by looking at him if the Bruins were up 10-0 or down 10-0.

I'm not comparing the two as players so everybody chill the f*** out. But there is a similarity in temperament there.
yep, look at some great`s from the past, Adam Oates was hardly a rah rah dude, Red Wings had Lidstrom/Zetterberg, again, not what you would call visibly emotional players, makes no difference

Reactions: Bradely and BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Agreed.

But Hes still no slam dunk.

My take:

Heinen is certainly the most defensively responsible of this group. Coaches like to be able to trust their bottom 6 forwards.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Heinen has to be watching Lauko with serious interest in his roster spot, if not also his "cheap" contract. Danton would at least be serviceable.

Even more favorable to Heinen is the complete underperformance of the forward group in Providence. I can't identify a single one I would be happy about calling up at the moment. If we have an injury in the top 9 forwards, Heinen is a very solid option.

Brown seems to be in more of a direct competition with Lauko. Neither Brown or Lauko is a viable candidate to move up the lineup, but they both suit the 4th line role better than Heinen.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Heinen has to be watching Lauko with serious interest in his roster spot, if not also his "cheap" contract. Danton would at least be serviceable.
Heinen is indeed a serviceable NHL'er. However, if he's eyeing Lauko as someone he can replace at this stage he'll be disappointed IMO. Lauko has looked very good and every NHL teams need to ice 4 lines. Heinen in for Lauko is a loser in my book.

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
My feelings on Captain danger are well known but as a depth guy in Providence I have no issue with that. Toporowski and Kuntar look like the only forwards worthy of a call up so he being there in case of injuries isn't a terrible idea. Heinen getting regular ice time in the NHL is a terrible, terrible idea.

Brown seems to be in more of a direct competition with Lauko. Neither Brown or Lauko is a viable candidate to move up the lineup, but they both suit the 4th line role better than Heinen.
A dachshund is a more viable 4th liner than Heinen.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Or…

He’s smart, responsible, versatile and has the skills and production of a decent 3rd liner.

That skillset at league minimum should be excellent value for Boston.
He's still painfully soft. I'm not saying he's the worlds worst player, he has a few tools but I don't want to watch this guy lollygag around come playoff time.

The hate for this guy is unreal
I said I was willing to give him a chance to see what he can bring. I hope he comes in and plays well.

He's super streaky and always has been, he would score, then go 10 games without doing anything, score again.

I thought he was OK in the pre-season, made a few good plays in the games I saw. He's better than Brown, so that's fine with me.

Reactions: PlayMakers

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
According to today's Boston Herald it appeared at practice that he might be signing soon. One thing I can say is that the Bruins were a very strong team from 2017-20 when he was a regular on the 3rd line.
I know he won't be wowing me or anyone else, but if he's near the league minimum, that is good depth to have. I think he would only help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad