Movies: The Count of Monte Cristo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've been interested in adaptations of The Count of Monte Cristo. The most recent hails from France this summer and is apparently now showing in certain theatres.

Reading up on a Reddit thread, I could not believe how many film and series adaptations of it, were produced around the world. I'd love to be able to see as many as possible but am afraid most of these will be difficult to find.

I've seen three US adaptations (1934, 1975, 2002) and a couple from France.

How many of these have you seen and which would you recommend?

Film and TV adaptations of the original story​

· 1908: The Count of Monte Cristo, first known film of the San Diego coast, directed by Francis Boggs.

· 1908: Le Prisonnier du Château d'If, directed by Victorin Jasset.

· 1908: Il conte di Montecristo, directed by Luigi Maggi.

· 1910: The count of monte cristo, produced by Challenger Prod Company.

· 1911: Monte Cristo starred by Stuart Holmes.

· 1912: The Count of Monte Cristo, directed by Colin Campbell, it was destroyed due to copyright issues.

· 1912: Il Conte di Montecristo, directed by Giuseppe De Liguoro.

· 1913: The Count of Monte Cristo, directed by Joseph A. Golden and Edwin S. Porter.

· 1915: Die Totenhand des Grafen von Monte Cristo, directed by Hans Otto Löwenstein.

· 1918: Le Comte de Monte Cristo, directed by Henri Pouctal.

· 1921: Der Graf von Monte Cristo, produced by Astoria Film Wien.

· 1922: The Count of Monte Cristo, directed by Emmett J. Flynn.

· 1929: Le Comte de Monte-Cristo, directed by Henri Fescourt.

· 1934: The Count of Monte Cristo, directed by Rowland V. Lee.

· 1942: El Conde de Montecristo, directed by Chano Urueta and starred by Arturo de Córdova.

· 1943: Le Comte de Monte Cristo, french-italian film directed by Robert Vernay.

· 1953: El Conde de Montecristo, starred by Jorge Mistral.

· 1954: Le Comte de Monte-Cristo, series directed by Robert Vernay.

· 1956: The Count of Monte Cristo, created by Sidney Marshall.

· 1961: Le Comte de Monte- Cristo, directed by Claude Autant-Lara.

· 1964: The Count of Monte Cristo, BBC television serial starring Alan Badel and Natasha Parry

· 1965: Greven av Monte Christo, directed by Kent Nilssen and Alfred Solaas, starred by Knut Risan.

· 1966: Il conte di Montecristo, directed by Edmo Fenogio.

· 1969: El Conde de Montecristo, spanish film directed by Pedro Amalio López.

· 1973: The Count of Monte Cristo, animated short film by Hanna Barbera.

· 1975: The Count of Monte Cristo , starring Richard Chamberlain, directed by David Greene.

· 1979: Le Comte de Monte-Cristo , directed by Denys de la Patelliére.

· 1984: The Count of Monte Cristo, animated short film by GoodTimes.

· 1988: The Prisoner of Castle If, Soviet miniseries starring Viktor Avilov and Aleksei Petrenko.

· 1991: Story Time Collection: The Count of Monte Cristo, animated short film starring David Baldwin.

· 1997: The Count of Monte Cristo, animation byBlye Migicovsky Productions and Phoenix Animation Studios.

· 1998: The Count of Monte Cristo , television serial starring Gérard Depardieu.

· 2002: The Count of Monte Cristo, directed by Kevin Reynolds.

· 2002: El Conde de Montecristo, cuban TV series directed by Rafael Acosta and Noemí Cartaya.

Loosely based films​

· 1917: A Modern Monte Cristo, directed by Eugene Moore.

· 1929: Der Monte Christo von Prag, directed by Hans Otto.

· 1948: The Secret of Monte Cristo, directed by Albert Valentin.The film is based on the purported real story behind the novel.

· 1950: The Prince of Revenge, Egyptian movie, directed by Henry Barkat.

· 1951: María Montecristo, directed by Luis César Amadori.

· 1954: El Vizconde de Montecristo by Gilberto Martínez starring Tin Tan.

· 1954: Karkottai, a 1954 Indian Tamil-language film produced and directed by Kemparaj Urs.

· 1958: Vanjikkottai Valiban or Raj Tilak, Karkottai adaptation .

· 1964: The Crafty One (أمير الدهاء), Egyptian film directed by Henry Barakat, starring Farid Shawqi.

· 1967: Lunghi giorni della vendetta, Western film directed by Florestano Vancini.

· 1968: Amgolwang, directed by In-hyeon Choi.

· 1968: Sous le signe de Monte Cristo, directed by André Hunebelle.

· 1976: The Circle of Revenge (دائرة الانتقام), Egyptian film directed by Samir Seif, starring Nour El-Sherif.

· 1977: The Great Vendetta, starring Adam Cheng.

· 1977: Bhuierantlo Munis is a 1977 Indian Konkani-language drama film.

· 1982: Padayottam is a 1982 Indian Malayalam-language epic period drama film directed by Jijo Punnoose.

· 1986: Veta is a 1986 Indian Telugu-language period action film starring Chiranjeevi, Jaya Prada and Sumalatha

· 1986: Legacy of Rage, a Cantonese-language Hong Kong film adaptation, starring Brandon Lee.

· 1986: Asipatha Mamai, a Sinhala film adaptation.

· 1999: Forever Mine Film starring Joseph Fiennes, Ray Liotta and Gretchen Mol.

· 2003: Oldboy, directed by Chan-Wook.

Loosely based series​

· 1956: The Count of Monte Cristo (TV series), TV series based on further adventures of Edmond Dantes after the end of the novel

· 1971: Le Comte de Monte-Cristo (Les Cent Livres), réalisé par Claude Santelli et Michel Favart.

· 1974: La indomable, venezuelan soap opera for canal RCTV.

· 1977: La venganza , directed by Valentín Pimstein.

· 1979: Nihon Gankutsuou [ja] (日本巌窟王), Japanese television serial set in Edo period, starring Masao Kusakari

· 1984: Marimar, mexican soap opera directed by Verónica Pimstein.

· 1984: Los títeres, chilean soap opera created by Sergio Vodanović.

· 1984: La dueña, venezuelan soap opera directed by José Ignacio Cabrujas and Julio César Mármol.

· 1986: La dama de rosa, venezuelan soap opera starring Jeannette Rodríguez and Carlos Mata.

· 1990: Yo compro esa mujer, created by Olga Ruilópez.

· 1996: Ithihaas made by Balaji productions for doordarshan channel in India.

· 1997: Cambio de piel, directed by José Ignacio Cabrujas.

· 2004: Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Japanese animation adaptation. Produced by Gonzo, directed by Mahiro Maeda

· 2004: Amarte es mi pecado mexican soap opera produced by Ernesto Alonso.

· 2005: La madrastra, mexican soap opera by Salvador Mejía.

· 2006: Vingança (telenovela), directed by Rodrigo Riccó and Paulo Rosa, SIC Portugal

· 2006: Montecristo: Un Amor, Una Venganza(Argentine telenovela), starring Pablo Echarri and Paola Krum

· 2006: Dueña y señora , puertorrican soap opera produced by Cordial International Inc.

· 2006: Montecristo: El Amor Nunca Muere, Mexican soap opera starring Silvia Navarro and Diego Olivera

· 2008: Montecristo, colombian soap opera starring Juan Carlos Vargas

· 2010: Ezel (TV series), a Turkish television series billed as an adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo.

· 2011: Revenge (2011 TV series), a television series billed as an adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo.

· 2011: Un amore e una vendetta is an Italian television series based on the argentine telenovela Montecristo: Un Amor, una Venganza

· 2012: Avenida Brasil, brazilian soap opera produced by Rede Globo.

· 2012: Antsanoty, an Armenia-Armenian television series.

· 2013: İntikam is the Turkish version of the ABC TV series Revenge.

· 2013: Flor del Caribe, brazilian soap opera produced by Rede Globo.

· 2013: La Patrona, directed by Valentina Párraga.

· 2014: Sin Identidad, starring Megan Montaner.

· 2015: Nirvana in Fire (Chinese: 琅琊榜) directed by Kong Sheng and Li Xue.

· 2016: Yago, un amor y una venganza. Mexican soap opera starring Iván Sánchez and an adaptation of Ezel.

· 2016: Entre tu amor y mi amor, venezuelan soap opera wirtten by Carlos Pérez,

· 2016: Goodbye Mr. Black or 굿바이 미스터 블랙 is a South Korean television series based on the manhwa of the same title.

· 2017: Venganza, a Colombian telenovela based on the television series of Mike Kelley titled Revenge.

· 2018: The Count of Monte-Cristo: Great Revenge or モンテ・クリスト伯 ―華麗なる復讐, directed by Mai Takano and Yusuke Noda

· 2018: La reina del flow, starring Carolina Ramírez.

· 2018: Wes, a Sri Lankan-Sinhala television series.

· 2019: Vlad, starring Adrian Nartea.

· 2021: Miss Monte-Cristo or 미스 몬테크리스토 South Korean television series starring Lee So-yeon.

· 2023: El Conde: Amor y honor, upcoming Mexican-American soap opera based on the novel.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The 2002 version is actually my favorite movie of all time. My wife and I watch it once a year and we just watched it 3 days ago as a matter of fact. Killer cast with Guy Pearce, Richard Harrris, Luis Guzman, Dagma Dominizyck, James Caviezel, and a young Henry Cavill.

I’ve not read the book and I’ve heard it’s not completely true to the source material but nonetheless I love it completely. It’s simply a fantastic, fantastic, story about betrayal, loss, revenge, overcoming life’s unavoidable hardships, and becoming the type of person you truly want to be.

I can’t wait to check out this French version and I really need to take the time to read the novel. We just watched “The Man in the Iron Mask” last night. Another Dumas epic turned film with a great cast and an even better story. That HUMONGOUS BIG list of adaptations speaks credence to how talented of a storyteller Dumas really was.

Reactions: Runner77

Chili

Time passes when you're not looking
Jun 10, 2004
I know I've seen a few of them, the one that I remember is the 1934 film with Robert Donat, really enjoyed that version. Curious to see the silent version directed by Edwin Porter. The star was James O'Neil who was the father of playwright Eugene O'Neil. Eugene was inspired to write Long Day's Journey Into Night about his life in that era.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad