The correct English word to point at team?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
technically utah is an entirely new franchise, they just happened to buy all of arizona's team and assets and slap a new label on it

hartford-carolina would be the "same" franchise because the same owner just moved that team's location

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
technically utah is an entirely new franchise, they just happened to buy all of arizona's team and assets and slap a new label on it

hartford-carolina would be the "same" franchise because the same owner just moved that team's location
I never even thought that it would have such a difference.

So the Jets-Coyotes history ends to 2024 and that's it?

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Let me be very, very clear about this...it's the fans, not any legal agreements and NOT the NHL, that determine who owns what legacy.

From 1972 until April 1996 it's the Winnipeg Jets, and the Winnipeg Jets alone. It was a 12-year-old me who stood on the corner of Portage & Main in May 1972 and saw Bobby Hull sign his contract, NOT the NHL and NOT Gary Bettman and NOT any rando from Arizona.

From May 1996 until spring 2024 it's Arizona, and ONLY Arizona. Winnipeg doesn't care.

And the 2011-present Winnipeg Jets get lumped in with the 1972-1996 Winnipeg Jets. That's how the fans feel, and ultimately, that's all that matters. Everything else is just noise.

BB79

Partially deceased
Apr 30, 2011
When a franchise relocates I just consider them a new franchise in the city they moved to. I really wish the NHL would do the same. When Carolina left Hartford, they left all of the Whalers banners in the rafters of the Hartford Civic Center. They're still there to this day. The team belongs to the city they're in, and that's that as far as I'm concerned.
Screenshot_20241023_231616_Firefox Focus.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Hennessy

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
In 1919 the Toronto Arenas went defunct as a franchise and abandoned the NHL. It wasn't until next season that a new franchise emerged in Toronto.

Even so, the Leafs claim the Arenas as part of their historical heritage.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
No.
The OG Jets are now Utah.
The Scouts are the Devils.
The Thrashers are the Jets and the Flames are the Flames.
Fans might claim some perverse timeline, and the league might consent to their fantasies, but Wild ain't the Stars and the Barons/Seals a... well. That's enough of that.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Let me be very, very clear about this...it's the fans, not any legal agreements and NOT the NHL, that determine who owns what legacy.

From 1972 until April 1996 it's the Winnipeg Jets, and the Winnipeg Jets alone. It was a 12-year-old me who stood on the corner of Portage & Main in May 1972 and saw Bobby Hull sign his contract, NOT the NHL and NOT Gary Bettman and NOT any rando from Arizona.

From May 1996 until spring 2024 it's Arizona, and ONLY Arizona. Winnipeg doesn't care.

And the 2011-present Winnipeg Jets get lumped in with the 1972-1996 Winnipeg Jets. That's how the fans feel, and ultimately, that's all that matters. Everything else is just noise.
So clear.
I'm glad you have validation after the fact that rich guys moved some stuff.
As long as you feel happy that a sports team came back for now.
You really are the last stop for truth in this matter.
Just like last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad