Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He’s like any NHL coach, give him a hot goalie and he wins the Cup. Give him a regular goalie and he gets fired.
Somewhat true. Better players (goaltenders, defencemen, & forwards) make better coaches.

The old saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" is true.

I also believe that a poor coach can make a team worse than the players it has on its roster.

I also believe that an owner who funds his team with a low cap floor budget is probably going to have a team that is in the bottom half of the league.

I also believe that a GM that is experienced and has been successful previously probably can build a better roster of players than an inexperienced and previously unsuccessful GM.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Vegas odds for Sens next coach:

Gruden +105
Berube + 175
Evason +600

So... That implied probability for Berube makes me think easy money...
CandidateOddsImplied probability
John Gruden+10548.78%
Craig Berube+175376.36%
Dean Evason+65013.33%
Jay Woodcroft+10009.09%
Gerard Gallant+15006.25%
Todd McLellan+24004.00%
Claude Julien+55001.79%
Chris Kelly+60001.64%

Reactions: Duncstar

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Coop or Brind’amour could come available, so ya definitely a gamble, not sure which is the best strategy.
If Berube wants to come and he is the guy you want I move on that now

Cooper and/or Brindamour probably would want to go to Toronto before here and there is a good chance Keefe is gone

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If Berube wants to come and he is the guy you want I move on that now

Cooper and/or Brindamour probably would want to go to Toronto before here and there is a good chance Keefe is gone

Neither Cooper nor Brind'Amour are getting fired.

Their biggest sin seems to be getting beaten by Florida which is hardly their fault. Cooper has more than earned himself some good will to last through a down season.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Neither Cooper nor Brind'Amour are getting fired.

Their biggest sin seems to be getting beaten by Florida which is hardly their fault. Cooper has more than earned himself some good will to last through a down season.
Brindamour doesn't have a contract so he doesn't need to be fired

Cooper ya I agree he isn't going anywhere

Sullivan either imo

Also if one of those guys become avaliable I wouldn't be surprised to see a playoff team fire their coach to grab them

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’ll eat a hat if either become available.
And I'll join you. Brind'amour is a bit of a different cat, as is his owner, but the fact is that he loves it in Carolina, and his owner loves him. Brind'amour insists on having his assistants looked after first, which is the opposite of how most coaches do it, and he has the security of knowing that his owner definitely wants him back. They'll announce a deal fairly quickly after the season ends, and the galling part will be that Brind'amour will end up taking a bit of a discount relative to the other top coaches around the league.

Cooper is regarded as one of the best coaches in the game. If Tampa is ever dumb enough to fire him there would be ten teams ready to hire him in an instant. He would have to miss the playoffs for three seasons straight before he would be in any trouble...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Coop or Brind’amour could come available, so ya definitely a gamble, not sure which is the best strategy.
I dont see any scenario where this is the case. What makes you believe that? Do you think they change Brindamour if they lose to the Rangers? Or coop if they lose to Florida? I dont see it.

I wonder if Berube already said no thats why the sens dont have a coach yet.

Reactions: Cosmix

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I dont see any scenario where this is the case. What makes you believe that? Do you think they change Brindamour if they lose to the Rangers? Or coop if they lose to Florida? I dont see it.

I wonder if Berube already said no thats why the sens dont have a coach yet.
What if Berube wanted to wait and see what other jobs there were? He did his interview with the Sens and the job was his but he wanted to wait. As the Sens, would you move on to the next guy or risk waiting on Berube and maybe missing out on him and other people? Does this sort of thing even happen?

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Penguins fans have expectations that aren't aligned with reality after so many years of having generational players at their peak; they don't understand that 37 Malkin, 36 year old Crosby and 36 yr old Letang can't carry a team anymore and blame the coach. They just don't have a great roster anymore and have been spoiled from being good for almost all of Crosby's career on the back of him turning plugs into legit top 6 line options.

Whether Pens fans complain about him or not, it has very little bearing on whether he's a good coach or not, they'd be complaining if they had Scotty Bowman with Al Arbour as an assistant.
For the last time, I am not talking about tomorrow, today, or yesterday. I am talking about several seasons when these guys were in their early 30s and competing for cups. Sullivan is not a good coach, he got lucky by being hired at the right time, just like Bylsma. The penguins won thanks to the efforts of Crosby, and not because Sully
Like I posted earlier....Marlies season is over.... nothing to stop the rookie gm from bringing in his buddy.

View attachment 861699

Berube was already fired, by the Blues....has never coached in Pittsburgh?

My comment was regarding Sullivan that fans in Pittsburgh wanted him gone for the last 5 seasons. The quote is not showing the quote that I responded to.

Reactions: Laphroaig

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023

I don't see why this guy doesn't get more love.... Teaching Coaching Experience Winner
Hasn't coached in a few seasons

Teams may hesitate as he's been out of the game for a bit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For the last time, I am not talking about tomorrow, today, or yesterday. I am talking about several seasons when these guys were in their early 30s and competing for cups. Sullivan is not a good coach, he got lucky by being hired at the right time, just like Bylsma. The penguins won thanks to the efforts of Crosby, and not because Sully

My comment was regarding Sullivan that fans in Pittsburgh wanted him gone for the last 5 seasons. The quote is not showing the quote that I responded to.
And for the last time, pens fans are not a reliable narrator, that team has been plagued with depth issues for ages because of how much they've had to spend on their top guys, so this year lat your or 5 years ago, it doesn't really matter, the roster has always had issues and they always been unwilling to recognize that so they blame the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis