CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
It's the first official weekend of summer with Week 3 in the CFL.

Ottawa (1-0) at Montreal (2-0) Thu. 7:30PM ET
  • It's been an eternity since we've seen both Montreal and Ottawa both have good teams at the same time in the CFL. Maybe things will change this year as the RedBlacks get to test how improved they are in the home opener for the defending Grey Cup champions.
BC (1-1) at Winnipeg (0-2) Fri. 8:30PM ET
  • This is the first time since 2016 that the Bombers have started 0-2 and things aren't looking too promising for them right now as the Lions travel to Manitoba in a rematch of last year's West Final.
Edmonton (0-2) at Toronto (1-0) Sat. 7PM ET
  • McLeod Bethel-Thompson of the Elks is tied with Winnipeg's Zach Collaros for throwing the most interceptions with three picks so far. Maybe a return to his old home in Toronto might make him suck a little less than he usually does.
Hamilton (0-2) at Saskatchewan (2-0) Sun. 7PM ET
  • A master class in choking was offered up by the Tiger-Cats in blowing a second half lead against the Roughriders. Now they have to deal with them again, but this time in Regina for the Riders home opener.
Bye Week - Calgary (1-1). Jake Maier has thrown four TDs and just one interception through two games so maybe the Stampeders won't be as bad as I thought they would be. Their game next against Winnipeg could prove to be very interesting.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I get that this league holds a special place in some Canadians hearts, but does anyone actually consider CFL football a good product?

I tune in to a game every once in a while and see a super soft call that usually always goes in the favour of the offense. Just did my monthly check in, saw the weakest roughing the passer call I’ve ever seen, and right back off :laugh:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
3 games in a 20 game season? LOL

Yes they were mediocre which is why they were 11-7 in the weakest CFL season of all time and needed luck to barely beat the Bombers playing their worst game possible.

No
Now 10 wins in a row (probably to be 11 at the end of the night), including 3 wins against supposedly far superior teams...

PS: And it was 21 games for them, not 20.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Time to celebrate Canada Day with Week 4 in the CFL.

Edmonton (0-3) at BC (2-1) Thu. 10PM ET
  • There probably aren't too many people in Edmonton who have noticed the Elks starting out 0-3, but they've all been one score games so that record may be a tad deceptive. Things could be a little dicey for them this week however as the Lions have won their last seven meetings with Edmonton.
Montreal (3-0) at Toronto (2-0) Fri. 7:30PM ET
  • An intriguing battle for first in the East Division as both the Alouettes and the Argonauts have gotten out to hot starts this season. Toronto has won 7 of their last 10 meetings (regular season and playoffs) with Montreal, but the Alouettes got a pretty huge win in Toronto in their last matchup.
Winnipeg (0-3) at Calgary (1-1) Sat. 7PM ET
  • The Bombers are 0-3 for the first time since 2012 but I feel that they have more than enough talent to dig themselves out of their early season hole, which has this Stampeders fan feeling a tad nervous about this game.
Hamilton (0-3) at Ottawa (1-1) Sun. 7PM ET
  • Another member of the winless bunch is the TiCats, but they've had some flashes where they've been solid. In a way, they're kinda similar to Ottawa so this game could really provide an interesting test for both sides.
Bye Week - Saskatchewan (3-0). Sigh. I dodge one personal nightmare with the Oilers losing in the Stanley Cup final, but now I have another one brewing with another team that I hate potentially getting a championship. Why can't I have fun?

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I get that this league holds a special place in some Canadians hearts, but does anyone actually consider CFL football a good product?

I tune in to a game every once in a while and see a super soft call that usually always goes in the favour of the offense. Just did my monthly check in, saw the weakest roughing the passer call I’ve ever seen, and right back off :laugh:
It ain't the officiating. I can watch the NFL and be mind-boggled at the things they throw flags for there too.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
We enter the month of July with CFL Week 5

Toronto (2-1) at Saskatchewan (3-0) Thu. 9PM ET
  • An injury to Trevor Harris means Shea Patterson gets the hardest job in the province of Saskatchewan, being the Riders starting QB. He may need a little help from running back AJ Ouellette who will up against his former Argo teammates.
Ottawa (2-1) at Winnipeg (0-4) Fri. 8:30 PM ET
  • QB injuries are also in Manitoba as Zach Collaros is banged up for the Blue Bombers. They may have to rely on Chris Streveler as they go up against Ottawa, who's lead at QB by former Bomber backup Dru Brown.
Calgary (2-1) at Montreal (4-0) Sat. 7PM ET
  • The Stampeders needed overtime to get past the Bombers last week, but now they have to take on the defending champs on their home turf. Calgary has lost in 9 of their last 12 trips to the province of Quebec.
BC (3-1) at Hamilton (0-4) Sun. 7PM ET
  • One group of felines is purring while the other has been coughing up hairballs. The Lions need a last second field goal to get past Edmonton last week, while the TiCats were on the opposite end of a walk off in Ottawa.
Bye Week - Edmonton (0-4). What dirt does Chris Jones have on some people in Edmonton? The Elks have been a dismal 8-32 since he returned to Edmonton two years ago. Discipline has been an issue for them and you wonder how many close games he has to lose before some changes happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad