CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This one hurts so bad. Just could not get anything going all game: some bad desicions along the way, the dropped ball by jones, the D not showing any kid of intensity. All concluded in the wirst showing of the year...
The only time they showed some life was their touchdown early in the 3rd, but soon after they lost Banks and then I knew there was no chance.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I hope that those who run the Tiger-Cats no longer sell tickets to any fans of the Bombers, Riders, Stampeders, Eskimos, or Lions ever again. Even if a neutral site Grey Cup game happened in Hamilton, that would mean no West Division fans would be anywhere in Hamilton's borders. I also hope that Tiger-Cat fans start hosting jersey burning ceremonies for all of the West Division teams too, to let those teams know that their presence here comes with Tim Hortons Field turned into Hell on Earth for them.

> = P
I'm not sure what you're talking about, it was tough to watch the best team in the league lose the important game, but that's no reason to hate all west division teams.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The only time they showed some life was their touchdown early in the 3rd, but soon after they lost Banks and then I knew there was no chance.

When Jones did not come up with that ball is when I lost most hope. That could have been huge.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hopefully we get a good amount of returning players for next year. Especially on D; they had a bad game last night but were so good all year.

This one is going to take some time to get over!

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
Well, I guess I cannot be shocked here.

The CFL got their preferred champion again, and left the Tiger-Cats hanging out to dry by a bunch of nooses off the side of McMahon Stadium, like how Saddam Hussein got hung.

I don't see what the CFL's big problem is with the City of Hamilton...does Hamilton not have enough conservative politicians in it? Are Hamilton's social values unacceptable to the league's bottom line?

What in the living hell is wrong with the idea of Hamilton winning the championship? There is nothing wrong with that idea, and I don't get why the entire CFL continues to immorally and illegally resist that thought.

It is now time for the CFL and TSN to step in, and intervene to give all the help in the world ONLY to the Tiger-Cats from here on. It's time for Hamilton's drought to be brought to an end, even if it's done by force.

It's time for Hamilton to start gaining control of the CFL, both on the field and in the league office. And it's time for the CFL to give the Tiger-Cats whatever the hell they want until Hamilton's drought is forced ended, either next year or in 2021, preferably in both years.

Because the rest of the CFL teams, as well as their fans, and broadcast partners, can **** themselves in the a** for raping the City of Hamilton with impunity. That needs to end.

And I don't care if my opinions aren't what the CFL or TSN want to hear. They no longer have any right having negative thoughts about Hamilton, nor do they have the right to say anything that is destructive about this city.

So, stop fighting. You no longer have any right to stand up to Hamilton and tell us 'NO' on anything we want.

I am now more than happy for Hamilton to win a rigged Grey Cup title. I no longer have any shame in admitting so.

Do all of you idiots get me?

> = (
This qualifies as one of the most bizarre, asinine comments in the history of the internet. Congratulations!

Reactions: hoglund

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
So Winnipeg just beat three teams with a combined 40-14 record. That has got to be the most difficult road to a Grey Cup in CFL history I would think. The possibility of even facing three teams with a combined 40 regular season wins wouldn't exist in most seasons.

First team to win the GC with 2 playoff wins on the road since the 2005 Edmonton Eskimos.

But that team had a better record than '05 MTL and they beat 3 teams with a combined 33-21 record by comparison.

What WPG did is unfathomable

Electroflare55

May 21, 2017
First team to win the GC with 2 playoff wins on the road since the 2005 Edmonton Eskimos.

But that team had a better record than '05 MTL and they beat 3 teams with a combined 33-21 record by comparison.

What WPG did is unfathomable

Not only that, they dominated two fantastic teams in Calgary and Hamilton, and held Sask to 13 points at home.

Truly one of the most amazing playoff runs in CFL history

Reactions: snowkiddin

RaginRonic

The Ragin' One. with the big shoulder chip.
Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm not sure what you're talking about, it was tough to watch the best team in the league lose the important game, but that's no reason to hate all west division teams.
The West Division has no right to have all of the good players in the CFL, and their 5 teams have no right controlling the CFL's head office's operations.

And yeah, I'm calling those teams crooked as hell, and their ambitions for the CFL as criminal. They're not welcome to be a collectivized league power anymore. Give back to the East Division, and stop behaving like conservative politicians who are on the take.

> = P

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The West Division has no right to have all of the good players in the CFL, and their 5 teams have no right controlling the CFL's head office's operations.

And yeah, I'm calling those teams crooked as hell, and their ambitions for the CFL as criminal. They're not welcome to be a collectivized league power anymore. Give back to the East Division, and stop behaving like conservative politicians who are on the take.

> = P

giphy.gif

I've tried but I still can't figure out if this is a performance piece you're doing. :laugh:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

> = P

You know Hamilton has recently HOSTED a playoff game with 7 wins right? Western teams can forget about doing that with any less than 11 wins. The CFL's playoff format has put numerous mediocre Eastern Division teams in the Grey Cup over the last decade. I guess you're just bitter that Toronto and Ottawa were the franchises to capitalize on it. The CFL refusing to change their playoff format has been hugely advantageous to the East, and it probably always will be.

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
You know Hamilton has recently HOSTED a playoff game with 7 wins right? Western teams can forget about doing that with any less than 11 wins. The CFL's playoff format has put numerous mediocre Eastern Division teams in the Grey Cup over the last decade. I guess you're just bitter that Toronto and Ottawa were the franchises to capitalize on it. The CFL refusing to change their playoff format has been hugely advantageous to the East, and it probably always will be.

Then maybe the CFL should just ban Hamilton from playing any future Grey Cup, seeing as how the CFL wants nothing to do with us.

WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO GET WHAT WE WANT, AND ON OUR DAMNED TERMS?!!!!! > = (

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Guess I should of laid some cash down as my preseason Grey Cup pick was spot on. Oh well.

Congrats to the Bombers. Out played our guys on both sides off the ball, especially in the trenches.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I am thrilled....and relieved. Nearly 30 years of near-misses, frustration and lots of bad football has finally led to this - the Bombers 11th Grey Cup Championship. Total domination by the Bombers in that game. Harris ran roughshod over the Ti-Cats, Collaros was solid and in the rare instances he was pressured, he had the appearance of calm and managed to throw a pass for positive yardage.

Jefferson and Jeffcoat were absolute beasts out there. It seemed like the pressure never let up for poor Evans out there. Hamilton's O-line (particularly Van Zeyl who had no business winning 2019 best o-lineman over Stanley Bryant) looked highly over-rated after that game...although they did open some big holes for the running back.

What can you say about the Bomber defense overall? 11, 13 and 12 points against to the 3 best regular season teams in the league...and on the road too. Has there ever been such an impressive playoff performance in recent memory?

Kudos to Walters, O'Shea, Lapolice and Hall. Patience and perseverance paid off big time after 6 seasons (for Walters and O-Shea, 2 less years for Hall and Lapo). After a few years of playoff disappointment, I was finished with most of the coaching staff if they had not made it to the Grey Cup this year...and it appeared the Bombers would be eliminated in the playoffs rather quickly after teams caught on to the one-dimensional aspect of Streveler's play....so kudos for Walters for trading for Zach Collaros and breathing fresh life into the offense late in the regular season to set up an incredible playoff run.

I suspect O'Shea will sign a huge contract extension unless rumours of him going back to Toronto prove to be more than that. This seems unlikely given the reports that Chamblin will be retained. As for Lapo I suspect he will be given another head coaching opportunity elsewhere. Edmonton or Ottawa is my guess. Buck Pierce may receive a promotion to OC in 2020. Hall may or may not retire this off-season.

Last but not least, Congratulations to Wade Miller - the president/ceo of the organization who helped put this leadership group together and played a big part in the Bombers recent success....4 consecutive seasons with 10 or more wins which has not happened since the 80s.

Bombers have a history of winning Grey Cups in bunches in between long dry spells. 3 cups in 7 seasons in the 30s/early 40s, 4 cups in 5 years in 50s/60s and 3 cups in 7 years in the 80s/early 90s. As a Bomber fan I hope the trend continues - another 2 or 3 cups in the next 4-7 years please!

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I feel the CFL is simply in one of those power shifts that has swung to the West this decade basically since Calvillo's retirement.

But it was not always this way.

Think back to when the East had most of the power, with TOR/MTL dominating the East from 1996-2010 (FIVE straight Eastern Division Finals between these two teams!). Don Matthews, Flutie, Calvillo, Pinball, Cahoon, etc.

I feel that the most CFL parity was in that stretch between 1984-1996 between Moon leaving EDM for the NFL and the return of the Alouettes and the rise of the Argos.

It goes and comes. EDM/MTL owned the league for a stretch, just as Bud Grant did in Winnipeg.

CGY/WPG/SSK are monsters right now just as TOR/MTL and CGY/EDM were in the 90s.

RaginRonic

Feb 23, 2018
Hamilton, Ontario
I am thrilled....and relieved. Nearly 30 years of near-misses, frustration and lots of bad football has finally led to this - the Bombers 11th Grey Cup Championship. Total domination by the Bombers in that game. Harris ran roughshod over the Ti-Cats, Collaros was solid and in the rare instances he was pressured, he had the appearance of calm and managed to throw a pass for positive yardage.

Jefferson and Jeffcoat were absolute beasts out there. It seemed like the pressure never let up for poor Evans out there. Hamilton's O-line (particularly Van Zeyl who had no business winning 2019 best o-lineman over Stanley Bryant) looked highly over-rated after that game...although they did open some big holes for the running back.

What can you say about the Bomber defense overall? 11, 13 and 12 points against to the 3 best regular season teams in the league...and on the road too. Has there ever been such an impressive playoff performance in recent memory?

Kudos to Walters, O'Shea, Lapolice and Hall. Patience and perseverance paid off big time after 6 seasons (for Walters and O-Shea, 2 less years for Hall and Lapo). After a few years of playoff disappointment, I was finished with most of the coaching staff if they had not made it to the Grey Cup this year...and it appeared the Bombers would be eliminated in the playoffs rather quickly after teams caught on to the one-dimensional aspect of Streveler's play....so kudos for Walters for trading for Zach Collaros and breathing fresh life into the offense late in the regular season to set up an incredible playoff run.

I suspect O'Shea will sign a huge contract extension unless rumours of him going back to Toronto prove to be more than that. This seems unlikely given the reports that Chamblin will be retained. As for Lapo I suspect he will be given another head coaching opportunity elsewhere. Edmonton or Ottawa is my guess. Buck Pierce may receive a promotion to OC in 2020. Hall may or may not retire this off-season.

Last but not least, Congratulations to Wade Miller - the president/ceo of the organization who helped put this leadership group together and played a big part in the Bombers recent success....4 consecutive seasons with 10 or more wins which has not happened since the 80s.

Bombers have a history of winning Grey Cups in bunches in between long dry spells. 3 cups in 7 seasons in the 30s/early 40s, 4 cups in 5 years in 50s/60s and 3 cups in 7 years in the 80s/early 90s. As a Bomber fan I hope the trend continues - another 2 or 3 cups in the next 4-7 years please!
I hope the Bombers have a 50-year title drought that eventually leads to the CFL leaving Winnipeg behind, and causes the death of the Blue Bombers franchise.

No one goes before Hamilton now.

ONLY Hamilton's wants and needs are to be serviced.

No one has the right to speak negatively about Hamilton, whether they're right or wrong.

No one has the right to disagree with how Hamilton wins a future Grey Cup.

Hamilton is now free to break the law and violate the Constitution of Canada to win the Grey Cup now.

And lastly, no other fanbase matters but Hamilton's. The collective fanbases of B.C., Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal are now declared useless, worthless, and verminous.

So, start kissing Hamilton's a** from now on, because now, it's going to be you cleaning up Hamilton's s**t, like a good janitor should.

> = P

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I feel the CFL is simply in one of those power shifts that has swung to the West this decade basically since Calvillo's retirement.

But it was not always this way.

Think back to when the East had most of the power, with TOR/MTL dominating the East from 1996-2010 (FIVE straight Eastern Division Finals between these two teams!). Don Matthews, Flutie, Calvillo, Pinball, Cahoon, etc.

I feel that the most CFL parity was in that stretch between 1984-1996 between Moon leaving EDM for the NFL and the return of the Alouettes and the rise of the Argos.

It goes and comes. EDM/MTL owned the league for a stretch, just as Bud Grant did in Winnipeg.

CGY/WPG/SSK are monsters right now just as TOR/MTL and CGY/EDM were in the 90s.

I'd say the power shift to the West took place about 40 years ago. It's really never gone back to the East for any sustained length of time.

I've been going to games regularly since the early 2000s, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I walked into Commonwealth Stadium for a game against an Eastern division team not fully expecting to win, other than ones against the Calvillo Als. And the Eskimos have been a below average to middling franchise themselves for much of that time.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
A big step closer that's for sure

Next steps is for SSE, the city and the province to work out the site and a 3 way funding agreement with the goal of having something to present to council in June.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
2007 Grey Cup Winnipeg Blue Bombers QB Depth Chart
1- Ryan Dinwiddie
2- Kliff Kingsbury
3- Zac Taylor

2019 Where are they now
1- Ryan Dinwiddie - Head Coach Toronto Argonauts (CFL)
2 - Kliff Kingsbury - Head Coach Arizona Cardinals (NFL)
3 - Zac Taylor - Head Coach Cinnicinati Bengals (NFL)

Must have been a smart QB room haha

Reactions: TB12 and donghabs98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad