Celtics/NBA The Celtics are NBA champions: Boston wins first title since 2008 in blowout victory over Mavericks; Jaylen Brown named MVP

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
The parade being Friday and Boston is going to be in the middle of a heat wave. If you go make sure you hydrate folks
Friday is the best day they could ask for in terms of the heat wave.

Its gonna be at it's peak on Wednesday and Thursday.

Massachusetts' own Michael Chiklis as Red Auerbach on HBO's Winning Time.
Great on The Shield.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The more I think about the win the sweeter it gets. So many different layers to it- Horford getting a ring, Tatum and Brown overcoming the naysayers that said they’d never do it together, Tatum/Brown/Jrue/Horford all being here because the Sixers discarded them or discounted them in the draft, Cousy seeing banner 18 with one foot in the grave (as he said), Mazzulla getting the last laugh, White’s f***ed up toothy grin becoming legendary, our 2 best players are just now entering their primes….

What a time to be alive!!

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Congrats to Boston Celtics fans. Boston being top one in NFL and NBA championship now. You guys are lucky without knowing it. You got so much champs parade in the last 20 years that probably the expertise to organize such event IS in Boston.
Have fun guys and cheers for this win.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Basketball is far and away my 4th sport so I am very much a “pink-hat” Celtics fan. I’ll check the scores throughout the season but I really only start paying close attention once the playoffs start. My question is for those who follow closely…how does this team compare to the 2008 team? They were two wins worse in the regular season (64-18 vs. 66-16), but I feel like that is more than off-set by a 16-3 postseason vs. the slog of the 2008 playoffs, where they went 16-9.

Thoughts?

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I can’t believe how well Jaylen Brown played the entire playoff run and I wanted to post to give him some major props. Even all regular season long most of the things I strongly criticized him for were present but he was able to seemingly out of nowhere improve them and he really carried the team in many instances.

He deserves a ton of credit for that and it was really noticeable how much better of a team they are when he plays the right way. I thought he fully deserved finals MVP.

I also am extremely happy they were able to get one. Thinking back on all of the cores who never did now they can always have at least this one. Teams like Sacramento, those Pacers teams that couldn’t beat LeBron, etc. What I’m hoping is that now that they have been able to perform in the finals and really play without a lot of the flaws that prevented them from already having a couple titles that now the flood gates open. I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t win at least one more.

Next year is looking like Celtics-Denver to me. Saw rumors of Philly getting Paul George but I couldn’t care less about that and Milwaukee doesn’t intimidate me at all.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Basketball is far and away my 4th sport so I am very much a “pink-hat” Celtics fan. I’ll check the scores throughout the season but I really only start paying close attention once the playoffs start. My question is for those who follow closely…how does this team compare to the 2008 team? They were two wins worse in the regular season (64-18 vs. 66-16), but I feel like that is more than off-set by a 16-3 postseason vs. the slog of the 2008 playoffs, where they went 16-9.

Thoughts?

I'm going to spend way too long thinking about this, but think about it I will.

Problem is modern space and pace basketball is basically a different sport than what the '08 team was playing, so it's hard to even imagine how they would translate assuming they had time to prep for that style.

I know this team has much more depth, even if I think a veteran KG and Pierce were like wise warriors still at the peak of their powers.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm going to spend way too long thinking about this, but think about it I will.

Problem is modern space and pace basketball is basically a different sport than what the '08 team was playing, so it's hard to even imagine how they would translate assuming they had time to prep for that style.

I know this team has much more depth, even if I think a veteran KG and Pierce were like wise warriors still at the peak of their powers.
I agree, it’s so hard to compare teams from different eras.

I guess what I’m asking isn’t so much how the two teams would match-up against each other in a hypothetical game/series….but if we look at each season in a vacuum, what team was more impressive? I think I would choose 2024 due to their postseason record + better point differential throughout the season.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

Thoughts?
I'm might not be as qualified to answer this as most, but there's one thing that comes to mind: it depends on which 2024 team shows up. Sometimes this team seems a little streaky shooting-wise takes their foot off the gas from time to time. If the '08 squad catches them napping, I think they win big. If '24 is firing on all cylinders, they very likely win a best of seven.

That's my uneducated opinion.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I agree, it’s so hard to compare teams from different eras.

I guess what I’m asking isn’t so much how the two teams would match-up against each other in a hypothetical game/series….but if we look at each season in a vacuum, what team was more impressive? I think I would choose 2024 due to their postseason record + better point differential throughout the season.

Even that way (which is how I typically think about this type of question) is hard, too, cause one team has to come together in a single season and has real growing pains early in the playoffs, while the other's top two players grew up together.

I mean, the '09 team was probably even better before KG's injury, but if the '25 Celts are just as good next year they'll make this year's squad look even better retroactively.

Might need 3-5 years to feel good about answering this.

But the '24 team had a more impressive season start to finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
2024 team would absolutely abuse Perkins
Facts! I would love to see the battle between White and Allen as well as Brown/Tatum v. Pierce/Garnett. I think Scal and Horford are probably the most similar given where Al is at this stage of his career.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Thoughts?
Talent wise? Probably deeper top to bottom on the roster. Mentally? Probably not as tough as those guys. But then the 86 team would have smoked both of these teams. :naughty:

Reactions: lopey and Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad